Squat form tip: squeeze your glutes as hard as you can before decending

styles - nice tip. Glute/hip activation is a major issue for many people, especially those wanting to increase their squat/dead numbers.

One thing I think you might be missing is that the main help to be had from your maneuver is just in innervation of more motor units, leading to more strength coming up.

I always have my athletes do a plank position, but with the glutes locked the entire time (at least 1-2 minutes) on squat and deads day. This accomplishes the same thing.

I compare it to just waking up and how it take a little while to "wake up" the muscles. People think it just a while for the blood flow to start, but it also take a bit for the muscles to start demanding that nerves innervate, or "wake them up."

If you feel like it, try that out and let me know if you notice a difference. I'd be surprised if you didn't. :)

styles - nice tip. Glute/hip activation is a major issue for many people, especially those wanting to increase their squat/dead numbers.

One thing I think you might be missing is that the main help to be had from your maneuver is just in innervation of more motor units, leading to more strength coming up.

I always have my athletes do a plank position, but with the glutes locked the entire time (at least 1-2 minutes) on squat and deads day. This accomplishes the same thing.

I compare it to just waking up and how it take a little while to "wake up" the muscles. People think it just a while for the blood flow to start, but it also take a bit for the muscles to start demanding that nerves innervate, or "wake them up."

If you feel like it, try that out and let me know if you notice a difference. I'd be surprised if you didn't. :)

Cool stuff, I'll give it a try.

edit:
Whats your background btw? Coach?

*looks around warily*

Uh...personal trainer. But the really geeky, read-all-the-time, educated and certified, lift-all-the-time and train athletes kind.

Back