Squat form tip: squeeze your glutes as hard as you can before decending

Let's see a video of sytlesbjj demonstrating how to squat.

What? Dude, cmon...at least have him wear fishnet stockings.

(no zop)

I'd settle for an honest double bodyweight squat in any clothing. This guy has started quite a few threads giving out advice on how to lift and doesn't have any videos of himself lifting.

I'd settle for an honest double bodyweight squat in any clothing. This guy has started quite a few threads giving out advice on how to lift and doesn't have any videos of himself lifting.

Bad dreamer, what's your name
Looks like we're ridin' on the same train
Looks as through there'll be more pain
There's gonna be a Showdown

Alright motherfucker, be prepared to be amazed of teh awesomeness of the stylesbjj squat:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1m6vcyQqx_Q&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1m6vcyQqx_Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

So I tried squeezing my glutes as possible while descending, and ended up doing quarter squats. All the guys in the gym seemed real proud of me, since I usually try to get as low as possible. One of them came up to me, slapped me on the back said "you're one of us now," and gave me his 6 station bis and tris routine.

I think I might take up shuffleboard.

So I tried squeezing my glutes as possible while descending, and ended up doing quarter squats. All the guys in the gym seemed real proud of me, since I usually try to get as low as possible. One of them came up to me, slapped me on the back said "you're one of us now," and gave me his 6 station bis and tris routine.

I think I might take up shuffleboard.

I hope you didn't interpret that from my post, because I advocated squeezing only before descending, not while descending.. In other words, before you go down, take a few seconds to squeeze them as hard as you can. When you have achieved maximal glute squeeze, then you release and descend. And when you descend, you spread and flex(not by squeezing) the glutes (this is described in another post I linked in this thread). Then when you're at the bottom and come up, start squeezing them.

I *was* wondering if you were effing with me, given the links contained in the thread. I did seriously try it though. I think that squeezing them hard before the drop made me concentrate more on my posterior, if anything else. I also squeezed my core hard at the same time. Basically, I tightened up, and I felt really good getting out of the hole, even with my new (pathetic) squat pr. I felt like 5x5 for 175# would have been very doable.

I *was* wondering if you were effing with me, given the links contained in the thread. I did seriously try it though. I think that squeezing them hard before the drop made me concentrate more on my posterior, if anything else. I also squeezed my core hard at the same time. Basically, I tightened up, and I felt really good getting out of the hole, even with my new (pathetic) squat pr. I felt like 5x5 for 175# would have been very doable.

Wait, so did you do the squeeze during the descent, or only before? Either way, you could only do quarter squats?

Ignore my malarky filled post earlier. I was just april fooling you. Late. I suck, I know.

I did squeeze before the descent. I tried my first descent, but my buttcheeks wanted to do the exact opposite of squeeze on the way down. No squeezing on the way down then. But I really squeezed on the way up, and at lockout, to paraphrase lusst, you could've cracked a walnut with me buttcheeks. But starting off with them again so tightly locked, I focused more intently on what they should feel like when I was done with the rep. It made getting out of the hole that much easier, and I kept my chest up and out more easily, being fixated on squeezing my butt on the way up. And the reps were as atg as possible, which for me is well below parallel.

Ignore my malarky filled post earlier. I was just april fooling you. Late. I suck, I know.

I did squeeze before the descent. I tried my first descent, but my buttcheeks wanted to do the exact opposite of squeeze on the way down. No squeezing on the way down then. But I really squeezed on the way up, and at lockout, to paraphrase lusst, you could've cracked a walnut with me buttcheeks. But starting off with them again so tightly locked, I focused more intently on what they should feel like when I was done with the rep. It made getting out of the hole that much easier, and I kept my chest up and out more easily, being fixated on squeezing my butt on the way up. And the reps were as atg as possible, which for me is well below parallel.

Cool, excellent feed back.

But I really squeezed on the way up, and at lockout, to paraphrase lusst, you could've cracked a walnut with me buttcheeks. .

Yeah, that phrase got burned into my memory or something as well, for some reason I still remember him saying that even though I read it several months ago. Dammit lusst.

Squeezing the cheeks used to be an afterthought to my rep, I suppose. There is so much to think about when squatting right, I suppose it can get lost in the shuffle. But now that my footworks good, my descent is butt first, my arms are tight and elbows back, the two things I even have to think about nowadays are keeping my knees out, and keeping my butt tight. I'm working on taking the bar-fucking motion of my deadlift and transferring it to my squat as well, and that seems to help with both knees and glutes.

God help the next woman I bed down, she's not even going to see the monster within until its too late.

Geez..I've always been doing this to keep from farting during squats.

I tried this out today and it felt a lot more powerful out of the hole. Excellent tip.

Back