Squat form check

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Professor Jones, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Professor Jones

Professor Jones White Belt

Some background info : been training on starting strength for approximately 4 months (with a one month hiatus in august because of holidays). I started at 75 kilos bodyweight, went up to 85 kilos and now I'm down to 80 kilos (I have a hard time getting all the calories in...).

Since september I switched to training 2 times a week because of my work schedule. Here is today's last set at 100 kilos (my current 5 rep max).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSAQ8Br8m1M&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for the weird camera angle, it was filmed by some random dude who was training next to me.

2. Professor Jones

100+ views and no replies ? Is there a problem with the video ?

3. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    That looked fucking easy for a 5RM. Have you tried going heavier?

Also looked like pretty good form. Is there an issue you think you have which you are trying to address?

Only thing I noticed was you staring at the floor but it looked like your torso was in the right position in spite of that so it may not matter.

4. Professor Jones

I've had some issues with my form, mainly getting up on my toes and lack of core stabilization. That's why I decided to stop adding weight for a while. But now I feel I can get back to normal progression. I've started using a belt recently and it has helped me a lot.

I have a question about breathing : what I'm doing is taking a deep breath in my belly, squatting and exhaling at the end of the movement. But I've heard some knowledgeable people suggest that one should slowly exhale on the way up instead. What's better ?

5. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    Re your toes: someone posted this in another thread recently and i tried it, it actually works very well to make you really drive through your heels - pull your toes up as if you are trying to pop them through the top of your shoes.

RE breathing: I don't know what's better. I breathe out on the way up, with my mouth/throat half closed so i make like a hissing sound and it helps to create pressure in the core. This is just something i do, i didn't learn it from a coach or anything so /myopinion ...

6. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

That's some fuckin boo-sheeit right there. If you happen to involuntarily seep out some air it of course wont kill you, but IMHO purposefully exhaling on the ascent is a recipe for disaster once you get up to higher weights.

Form looked good tho.

7. dfownz

dfownz Blue Belt

Edit: thought it was the other way around, you're right. Definitely trying this.