Squat Form Check

calvus

Getting Crunk
@purple
Reaction score
Squat Form Check please...

This video has me squatting 230x3 and 260x9. After watching the video, I have to admit, the 260x9 is a little sketchy...

Thanks in advance for tips...

Last edited:
You could go lower on your squats, it doesn't look like you're hitting parallel with those. It could be because of the belt digging in your ribs.

Also, i can't see your foot position but it looks like you can point it more outwards then have your knees track the same angle during your descent.

Widen your stance and get to parallel everytime.

Point your toes out, make sure your knees track in line with your toes (that they don't cave in), sit between your legs.

Other posters have already made the comments I would on the squat form.

I just wanted to caution you that you need to start looking for alternatives to your "squat rack". As you get stronger and begin to lift more, you are going to have more and more difficulty properly reracking after a set, and that could easily lead to an injury.

Thanks for the comments - I really appreciate it! I thought my squat form "felt" ok, but on a whim I videoed it, and after I watched the video myself, it doesn't look that great. So I decided to post it, I'm glad I did. Now I guess I need to do the same thing for my other lifts.

I think that with a wider stance, I'm going to have some flexibility challenges in my hips, but maybe pointing the toes & knees out a bit will help.

I'm also going to review & study the squat video links in the FAQ.

I agree 100% with the comment about my squat "rack" - hopefully I can address that next year.

Thanks again!

To put it bluntly: Your form doesn't look bad for a high bar squat, which it looks like you're doing. Your depth does suck, especially for a high bar squat.

if parallel is hard to feel, think of it as the crease in your hips should break the plane that is created by the top of your knee.

that's how we judge powerlifting meets here, and I feel it's a pretty decent rule.

Yes, this should be a high bar squat & yes, my depth sucks. Didn't realize that until I took the vid.

So I've been going through the Squat RX video series today...Learning quite a bit. I'm going to start widening my stance & working through the stretches so I can go deeper with a wider stance.

Thanks for the tip on parallel as well - I also saw that in the Squat RX videos today. I think I may need to drop the weight until I can get comfortable with correct form & range for the movement.

Yes, this should be a high bar squat & yes, my depth sucks. Didn't realize that until I took the vid.

So I've been going through the Squat RX video series today...Learning quite a bit. I'm going to start widening my stance & working through the stretches so I can go deeper with a wider stance.

Thanks for the tip on parallel as well - I also saw that in the Squat RX videos today. I think I may need to drop the weight until I can get comfortable with correct form & range for the movement.

Most of the discomfort I saw was just the fact that you were trying to stop right around parallel. Why not keep going and do full squats? Widening your stance slightly will help that, obviously. But once you start full squatting, there's no mental problem of "am I low enough?" that goes along with the parallel squat.

Back