Squat form check

toonie

Tuesday
@purple
Reaction score

Squat form check please. If possible, tell me if you see something that I'm not and how I could fix it. I am switching from a 3 sets of 5 to a 5x5, so I'll be lowering the weight and it'll give me an opportunity to concentrate a bit more on form. I'll also be introducing front squats and very likely GHR to help with the tail tuck.

I felt my reps looked pretty good even though there is a tiny bit of tail tuck. The only one that I thought looked bad was the 5th rep. A little too much of a GM motion going on.

Thanks.

Edit: The socks were for cleans. I like the skin on my shins, and they help prevent too much bruising.

Difficult to tell from the angle but it looks like youre bouncing off the safety bar on a couple of those reps?

You're leaning a bit forward coming into that 5th rep. That may be the reason your balance is off.

Front squats are a great addition.

Nah, not hitting the safety bars. The angle makes it look like it. Whenever I hit the bars, it really messes me up and usually have to dump the weight.

I don't think the angle on the video was optimal. I think a side angle would be better. There are plenty of people that are more dialed in on proper squat form than me, but the main thing I saw was your walkout. I think you took one more step than you needed to. It also seemed a little fast, but if you feel in control more power to you. Maybe came down a bit fast on the first rep. And I did notice the GM'ing. Other than that I thought it looked pretty solid. Good form IMO.

Someone is yelling at you at the completion of each rep. Tell them to stop distracting you.

Are you attempting high bar squats?

edit: sorry, meant to ask if you were attempting low bar.

Last edited:
I agree, not the best angle. I am bo no means an expert. That being said, I would say your more or less is good. You seem to be bouncing a bit out of the pocket. Pherhaps go a bit slower on the negative and pause for a fraction of a second before exploding up. Also, and this may be because of the angle, you seem to bend over at back excessively, almost like in a deadlift. If this is case, and again, I'm not sure because of the angle, maybe break at the hips a little sooner, and try to consciously think about contracting lower back muscles to stay a bit more upright. If this advice doesnt seem to make sense, disregard it, just my opinion. Good luck.

These are low bar squats.

I'll get a better angle and upload it.

Thanks for the tips/advice. Video should be up in about an hour.

pause for a fraction of a second before exploding up.

No. You do not pause at the bottom of a squat.

TS, I'll try and keep my advice within my knowledge limits:

- Work on your walk out. My walkout is/was shit as well, but "one foot back, other foot back, minor adjustments, squat." Do as little as possible.

- It's hard to tell how wide your stance is, but it looks fairly narrow. Have you tried widening it up a bit?

- You have some tail tuck. Do you stretch your hamstrings, loosen up your hips, etc?

Last edited:
Nevermind about another video. No access to my other computer to upload videos from phone tonight.

No. You do not pause at the bottom of a squat.

TS, I'll try and keep my advice within my knowledge limits:

- Work on your walk out. My walkout is/was shit as well, but "one foot back, other foot back, minor adjustments, squat." Do as little as possible.

That's something I never really thought to look for until mentioned by scoopj and yourself. Checking past videos, my walk-out is pretty shit. It's something I will consciously think about improve upon for next time.

- It's hard to tell how wide your stance is, but it looks fairly narrow. Have you tried widening it up a bit?

I feel comfortable with my current stance. I'm thinking its the camera angle and I'll ensure to get multiple angles next time. I wouldn't say my stance is narrow. My heels are approximately a foot and 5 inchs apart, making it just slightly wider than shoulder width. What effect would widening my stance have on my form/squat?

- You have some tail tuck. Do you stretch your hamstrings, loosen up your hips, etc?

The only thing I really do before my work-sets is some asian squats and my warm-up sets. But nothing else really. I'm looking to fix up the tail tuck by incorporating so me GHR and front squats and I'll also look search around for some good dynamic stretching for the squat. Thanks.

See red. Thanks everyone. I'll get multiple angles next time over the next couple weeks taking into consideration all tips and hopefully improving.

You can static stretch your hamstrings after lifting and after you shower. How would doing GHRs and front squats fix your tail tuck if you're not gaining any flexibility through stretching/mobility work?

Widening your stance would help you push your knees out more and would probably stop you from going quite so deep, but it would help with tail tuck. Though that's kind of just avoiding the issue.

Back