Squat form check

Roy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

So I tried to follow everyone's advice from last week. I upped the weight from 135 lbs to 145. Tho I feel this hurt my form, I notice that I now have tail tuck (gets more pronounced with each rep) that I didn't have much of with 135 lbs last week. Anyways let me know what you guys think. All criticism is welcome. Thank you for your time.

Looks pretty good to me. I don't even see that much tail tuck. You're squatting high bar so you're not going to get the pronounced arch and ass-out posture that low-bar squats will give you. Keep increasing the weight I say. Those still look too easy.

Edit: Isn't red belt supposed to come before black belt? I feel like I downgraded.

Couple of notes
--you seem unsure of where you want to stand when you back out and waste a little bit of time with the set up (this is an opinion thing though)
--your heels are slightly coming off the floor in certain reps (can't tell on the first set because of trap bar, second set it happens every rep but especially the last one), it could be because of a couple of things: the shoes (chucks are good for deads but olympic shoes are better for squats), knee drift (a bit forward but more inward, I think your center or gravity is shifting ever so slightly away from your heels toward your toes), it COULD be a hamstring flexibility issue but depth looks good and easy so I wouldn't say but you could work on asian squats

I wouldn't take another video from behind and I bet you will see your knees moving inward out of the whole.

Form is great.

You could try overhead squats, they pretty much force you to keep perfect form at the bottom position.

From my experience, and from what I've heard from coaches, bending your knee over 90 degrees like you're doing is not good for your knee.

Couple of notes
--you seem unsure of where you want to stand when you back out and waste a little bit of time with the set up (this is an opinion thing though)

Agree, I do this, I'm trying to stop but whenever I get to a working weight, I just feel there are a few more stance adjustments I should make.

--your heels are slightly coming off the floor in certain reps (can't tell on the first set because of trap bar, second set it happens every rep but especially the last one), it could be because of a couple of things: the shoes (chucks are good for deads but olympic shoes are better for squats), knee drift (a bit forward but more inward, I think your center or gravity is shifting ever so slightly away from your heels toward your toes), it COULD be a hamstring flexibility issue but depth looks good and easy so I wouldn't say but you could work on asian squats

Yeah I'll try to focus on staying on the heels

I wouldn't take another video from behind and I bet you will see your knees moving inward out of the whole.

I dont feel like im getting too much knee drift, but ill take a video from the back at some point and post it.

Thanks for the help PH.

From my experience, and from what I've heard from coaches, bending your knee over 90 degrees like you're doing is not good for your knee.

Don't ever, EVER go past parallel. Always stop before the bottom of your thigh gets to parallel with the floor. And be SURE to squat in the smith machine. This one personal trainer at my gym told me his uncle's friend's cousin once dropped a loaded barbell on his foot. Wouldn't have happened in a smith machine.

Apparently your coaches are a bunch of idiots.

Going lower than 90 degrees is a lot better for your knee than just going to 90 degrees.

At 90 degrees your ligaments are in their weakest position so then you're putting massive strain on your ligaments when you start to come back up. Go past 90 degrees, your ligaments are in a strong position and you've got your glutes and hams kicking in as well.

You really shouldn't give advice when you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Don't ever, EVER go past parallel. Always stop before the bottom of your thigh gets to parallel with the floor. And be SURE to squat in the smith machine. This one personal trainer at my gym told me his uncle's friend's cousin once dropped a loaded barbell on his foot. Wouldn't have happened in a smith machine.

I thought you were serious for a second. I was tempted to throw something.

This is true it has been proven many times that squatting below 90 degrees can cause serious injuries to the knees and only stupid people think otherwise! just work the gunzors instead.

Last edited:

I'll paraphrase what some of the other folks are saying...

My gunz are bigger then yours therefore you go away!

Back