Squat form check W/O videos

ElKarlo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not allowed to take videos at my gym, at all.

My squatform has turned to pooh. I had a lay off this spring, and coming back, I just seem to mess it up. When I start my squat I roll the bar and make a shelf on my upper back to hold it. I inflate my belly, and keep it kinda tight. I also have my feet pointing out just just a bit. As I drop down I find that I end up almost doing a good morning. My upper body wants to collapse forwards, and I can't stop this if I do any amount of real weight.

In the mean time I've been doing split squats and box squats. I can keep my form doing these, but not when I do a trad squat.

Help!!!! and Wah!

How do you start the descent into the squat? Is it with your ass going backwards?

How do you start the descent into the squat? Is it with your ass going backwards?

I start by sticking my butt back like I'm trying to sit on something that's far away from me, and I'm really putting my butt back, yet keeping my upperbody balanced. After I put my butt back I more or less go down, and I always break par.

I've also tried to workout my back with good mornings, and work my hamstrings with hamstring curls.

I could do a no weight squat and show you guys if that'd help?

Perhaps you'd like to order one of my T-shirts:

SQUATSHIRT.jpg

What do you mean you "roll the bar and make a shelf..."? I grab the bar, get under it, tighten my back up, and take a big breath before walking it out. Then after getting set, I take another BIG breath (valsalva) while making my upper back nice and tight, and concentrate on keeping my back tight, knees over toes, try not to round my lower back too much, and explode up. God I miss squatting!! :(

Also sounds to me like you're doing too much weight.

Last edited:
The squat rx might mention this, but I didn't want to watch all the way throug to see.

I had this problem really bad and it was due to not keeping my upper back tight. Concentrating on pulling the bar into my back and visualizing the path of the bar intersecting the middle of my feet. Doing this fixed a nagging goodmoring issue I had for months. Credit to CJK for helping me fix my squat.

I'm not allowed to record at my gym either. That doesn't stop me from inconspicuously placing my phone on the ground at a slight angle.

Have you tried using your cell?

Well perhaps the weight is too much. Perhaps your form is off. Perhaps invisible gnomes are jumping on your back and making you GM the weight back up right when you start dropping down. Without a video, its hard to pinpoint what the issue is. Sucks that your gym refuses to let you take video. Did you ask them then? I haven't asked the people at my gym and just took my camera in with me when I wanted to video my lifts. I have no idea whether they allow this or not but no one has corrected me yet.

One way is you could just take a camera in and video your squats. Its likely no one will even come over to you and say that's not allowed unless someone complains. ANother option is to see if you can get to another gym on a guest pass that will allow the camera and squat there for the vid. Or see if someone in your gym knows how to squat and if they will help you out.

I like to keep my camera pointed in the direction of those machines where the girls in their tight spandex short-shorts sit there and spread their legs..........

or the ones doing the splits on the mats.....

or the ones on the step-up machines......

I want to go to the gym so bad right now. :icon_sad:

My gym doesn't allow use of chalk or videotaping. I do both and nobody says anything. Some rules were meant to be broken.

What do you mean you "roll the bar and make a shelf..."? I grab the bar, get under it, tighten my back up, and take a big breath before walking it out. Then after getting set, I take another BIG breath (valsalva) while making my upper back nice and tight, and concentrate on keeping my back tight, knees over toes, try not to round my lower back too much, and explode up. God I miss squatting!! :(

Also sounds to me like you're doing too much weight.

When it's on the rack, I grab the bar and roll it as I tighten my traps, so the bar it siting on the shelf that I made outa my traps. My friend who's a PT in the US taught me that.

Now that you mention it, I think I start with my knees a bit behind my toes:icon_sad:

The squat rx might mention this, but I didn't want to watch all the way throug to see.

I had this problem really bad and it was due to not keeping my upper back tight. Concentrating on pulling the bar into my back and visualizing the path of the bar intersecting the middle of my feet. Doing this fixed a nagging goodmoring issue I had for months. Credit to CJK for helping me fix my squat.

Hmmm, this may be exactly what I am doing wrong.

I'm not allowed to record at my gym either. That doesn't stop me from inconspicuously placing my phone on the ground at a slight angle.

I can ask a trainer to just film me. It is Japan, and they follow rules pretty strict like.

Well perhaps the weight is too much. Perhaps your form is off. Perhaps invisible gnomes are jumping on your back and making you GM the weight back up right when you start dropping down. Without a video, its hard to pinpoint what the issue is. Sucks that your gym refuses to let you take video. Did you ask them then? I haven't asked the people at my gym and just took my camera in with me when I wanted to video my lifts. I have no idea whether they allow this or not but no one has corrected me yet.

One way is you could just take a camera in and video your squats. Its likely no one will even come over to you and say that's not allowed unless someone complains. ANother option is to see if you can get to another gym on a guest pass that will allow the camera and squat there for the vid. Or see if someone in your gym knows how to squat and if they will help you out.

I'm going to try this when i squat sat. My gym is closed today(fri):icon_sad:

I can ask a trainer to just film me. It is Japan, and they follow rules pretty strict like.

Just film yourself. You'd be shocked how much you can get away with in Japan by claiming to be a dumb gaijin. Unless you are Japanese, in which case you are fucked and must conform.

While people in Japan are very obedient and follow the rules, I noticed that they are generally non-confrontational when rules are broken. Example: when some cocky and obnoxious gaijin were smoking in a crowded train station (obviously a non-smoking area) people strained to avoid noticing. They didn't want any trouble.

This.
My gym has signs everywhere about no video recording, etc. I use my cell phone by propping it up against my gym bag when the gym is not crowded.

While people in Japan are very obedient and follow the rules, I noticed that they are generally non-confrontational when rules are broken. Example: when some cocky and obnoxious gaijin were smoking in a crowded train station (obviously a non-smoking area) people strained to avoid noticing. They didn't want any trouble.

I hear that, but Japan is pretty strict when it comes to taking photos. They don't like it. Plus if I get kicked outa my gym, there's only one other one around, and it doesn't have a bench press bench, nor a squat rack:icon_cry2 They also know I can speak and read a good deal o Japanese, as I got my body fat
and what not tested, and I talked to them about the results.
But I'm squatting tonight, and I'm going to try and film myself.

Ok, tried to upload em to youtube, wrong format. Can I email to anyone?

Back