Squat Form Check - Plenty of Videos

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by PowerHungry, Aug 11, 2010.

1. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

Alright, I got a lot of videos because I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I'm also going to provide my own notes on what I saw and what I experienced doing the sets. I don't think it's necessary to watch all the videos to get the point but there they are either way.

FORM CRITIQUE: Right off, I noticed my self-diagnosed lack of complete hip drive out of the hole, even on 225 and all the way up to 410. Once I got up the 365, I switched the camera location and a major culprit reared its head: my right knee turning inward. Also, I noticed that as I got heavier, especially from the back view, that my left side came out of the sticking point just slightly ahead of my right. I don't know if this causes my right knee to turn inward or if its a necessary compensation because my right knee turns inward.

PAIN AND DIFFICULTY: I was pain free until about 315. That's when I begin to feel sharp but brief pain in my left knee and it was mainly in the hole. With 365, I tried controlling my descent a little more and it made the rep a little harder and I think caused more rounding out of the hole. With 410, that was obviously a tough rep and I began to feel slight tighness in my lower back on the right side. Same thing again on the next rep.

With the 225 last set, I switched the camera angle because I really wanted to focus on my knee movement. My left knee was really tweaking in the hole on each rep for the first 10 and they were harder than they should have been. The last 17/18 were easier in terms of knee pain but harder in terms of muscular (particular quad) fatigue. Interestingly it looked to me like my form was better at the beginning despite the fact that it hurt worse. I didn't notice nearly as much right knee drift except on a few reps.

Thoughts? Ways to correct the right knee drift? Is that causing the left knee pain? Etc.

225x2

275x1

315x1

340x1

365x1

410x1

410x1

225x27 or 28

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

I think you are rushing the set-up, and not getting tight enough, especially the upper back and core.

3. keyboardsmasher

keyboardsmasher White Belt

Get the bar off your neck. It will correct almost every issue you are having.

4. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

I think you just really need to concentrate on keeping your knees tracking properly. When I'm not concentrating on my form I let my right knee drift farther forward than my left. The next day my right knee will be sore. But when I really pay attention and make everything even, there is no pain.

5. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

Congrats on the pr PH!

Well, the baggy shirt made it harder to gauge the angles in your back, as well as see how you are breathing, etc.

What kind of shoes are those?

I agree with Tosa, taking a bit more time in your set-up, to get your feet under you, the bar sitting tightly, breathe well and get tight, definitely can't hurt.

Same thing as you're walking back, no need to rush stepping back, getting your balance, inhaling and bracing.

Other than that, there seems to be a slight "good-morninging", at 315 there is already a small amount of delay in hip extension. It is hard to tell from here (I could be wrong here), but it looks to me like the weight shifts slightly towards your toes as you're coming up from the hole.

Back rounding is not very clear with that shirt, but I think that in 315 your back is already not entirely straight. 275 looks good, everything over 315 looks rounded to me.

The right knee issue you've already pointed out.

About the right knee, nothing to do here, than to concentrate on pushing it out. You can have a training partner hold his palm on the lateral side of your knee (on the outside not the inside, so you have to push against it) as you are squatting. If you can't maintain form as you're increasing the weight it might be a glute strength/activation issue. Ways to work on that (other than refusing to break form) is obviously glute work (good mornings are awesome) and unilateral work.

When it comes to the back thing, as you've mentioned before you are using a high-bar placement, but your torso angle looks like a low-bar squat. Your back placement means you have worse back leverages than in a low-bar squat (a bigger moment arm), and leaning that much means it is a lot harder for your back than actually using a low-bar placement.

I can also see you are using a fairly wide stance, which is not the norm with high-bar squats and could well contribute to how much you have to lean forward. I would suggest trying to either narrow your stance or to change to low-bar.