Squat 315x20

Barut

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I told a few people I was going to try 315 X 20 on squats tonight. I did. I filmed it and I'm not quite happy with the depth on some of the reps. Take a look and critique.

Thanks in advance guys.

Click here to watch Barut-315x20-Squat

I realize it's not a good camera angle to decide such things, and no offense, but everyone of those looked above parallel to me. I am just being brutally honest, because I've had people mislead me in the past in such a way that I nearly emarassed myself at a meet when it came to depth.

My advice is to stick with 315, and work on putting those reps DOWN THERE.

VERY NICE!!! Wow, good job, man.

One thing I noticed off the top of my head that you may be doing wrong is that when you first start descending, you are moving your knees forward as you bring your hips down. From what I've read of Westside and what has helped me a lot in the past is to make sure that I move my hips back and down first without my knees going foward or anything. The hips should be moving first, not the hips and the knees foward at the same time. I think just about everyone's knees move foward at least a little when descending, but I think you might try to move your hips back and down first as you descend before having your knees forward ....

CarnalSalvation said:
I realize it's not a good camera angle to decide such things, and no offense, but everyone of those looked above parallel to me. I am just being brutally honest, because I've had people mislead me in the past in such a way that I nearly emarassed myself at a meet when it came to depth.

My advice is to stick with 315, and work on putting those reps DOWN THERE.

Thanks Carnal. I appreciate it. I'll do that.

Cool video Barut, I like how you gutted out that last reps.

I've got a question on the width of your stance, namely why such a wide stance? I've read that a wider stance is suppossed to be easier on the knees (not sure how on that) and that it lets you move less far and hence it's easier. What's your take on it? BTW, not dogging your style, just wanting to know for personal edification.

datadog said:
Cool video Barut, I like how you gutted out that last reps.

I've got a question on the width of your stance, namely why such a wide stance? I've read that a wider stance is suppossed to be easier on the knees (not sure how on that) and that it lets you move less far and hence it's easier. What's your take on it? BTW, not dogging your style, just wanting to know for personal edification.

It helps me keep my knees from drifting forward. It also helps me really get my ass into it. When I'm happy with my reps, I'm going to post a vid from the side to better evaluate depth and knee drift. Thanks for the input.

Barut said:
It helps me keep my knees from drifting forward. It also helps me really get my ass into it. When I'm happy with my reps, I'm going to post a vid from the side to better evaluate depth and knee drift. Thanks for the input.

Cool, thanks for the answer! So when do we get to see the 405x20? :)

Once I can get decent depth on 315...

Not to rain on your parade but if those were 20kg plates as they appear that was only 308 but that is small detail. More importantly if you are lifting somewhere with Oly. style plates why not get some Olympic lifting shoes bring the stance in, straighten your back up, place the bar high and go calves to hammys all the way down. It sucks at first but trust me your quad strength will go thru the roof. It looked more PL lifting style which incorporates more hamstrings and lower back that quads. Just my opinion. All that withstanding still impressive work

Good work man. I've done these before and I know the mental effort it takes to get through a set like that...and come back to it week in, week out. I used to dread these.

Redman2919 said:
Not to rain on your parade but if those were 20kg plates as they appear that was only 308 but that is small detail. More importantly if you are lifting somewhere with Oly. style plates why not get some Olympic lifting shoes bring the stance in, straighten your back up, place the bar high and go calves to hammys all the way down. It sucks at first but trust me your quad strength will go thru the roof. It looked more PL lifting style which incorporates more hamstrings and lower back that quads. Just my opinion. All that withstanding still impressive work

Im pretty sure Baruts intention is to lift powerliftingstyle, not oly style...

That was a well worth watching. I can't offer any critque. I'll just wanted to say that it's a good inspiration for my squat workout coming up on Friday. Thanks a lot for posting it.

Barut said:
Well, I told a few people I was going to try 315 X 20 on squats tonight. I did. I filmed it and I'm not quite happy with the depth on some of the reps. Take a look and critique.

Thanks in advance guys.

Click here to watch Barut-315x20-Squat

I felt your pain at about 12 man, hehe. Nice job. :icon_chee

*Looks at quads* *shrugs*

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate everyone taking a minute to look at it and especially those (Carnal, Diligent, Datadog) who critqued and asked questions.

Redman, at this point I'm not really interested in Oly lifting other than powercleans. I'm happy with my weight training and plan on sticking with my powerlifting-type split. Thanks for the input though.

nice one, 20 rep squats are tough I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who trains them that hard.

Nice job, Barut. That's a wide fucking stance... not that there's anything wrong w/ that. How much do you weigh? You look like a pretty big dude.

I thought the same as all the others:
1. VEry impressive!
2. Pretty wide stance but thats ok.
3. All the reps should be deeper and i think the overall form was alright but those reps werent really beautyfull if you know what i mean.

I would take Carnals advice and stick to 315 and concentrate on form.
Because one of my Lifitng goals is to squat 330 lbs in picture perfect form one day. And to see soemone wlak the path before me is a good inspiration.

Back