Sprinting!

razegfx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been considering doing some track & field (specifically 100m and 200m sprint events) competitively. Lately all I have been doing are the big 3 with some miscellaneous assistance work. I was wondering if some of the experienced lifters could help me out with outlining some training I could do that would allow me to still do some big 3/oly lifts while working on brining my sprint times down!

I posted this here because I have grown to see this as a forum of knowledgeable lifters. In addition, I'm not familiar with training specifically designed for sprinters and I was hoping to see if anyone here has been exposed to that. I could easily google "sprinting routines" but I would be clueless as to the validity of those methods. If anyone here has any extensive experience, I would certainly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks to anybody who replies in advance.

I never lifted weights when I did track in high school and wish I had, I worked really hard otherwise and still sucked.

How many days per week and how much time per day do you have to work with?

By the way , I trained for 10 years in a gym where tons of the France's best athletes at track and field , oly weightlifting , judo , the throws ( javelin , shot put , hammer , discus ) etc .

From what I remember I saw several members of our national sprinting team do things like quarter squats and half squats with max explosivness .
Also some oly weightlifting , though it was more of a throwers thing .
Also posterior chain work and step ups on a bench ( explosive fashion ofc ) .

Also I remember seeing Kafetien Gomis , which is a friend of mine , and finished second to the euro champ in the long jump ( 8.24 meters ! ) doing some light unilateral work at the olympic press ( yes you read it ) but in the most explosive fashion possible , to improve his sprinting speed ( which is obviously crucial in the long jump )

I remember also the national triple jump coach who I also knew very well saying something in the lines that " to be the most explosive possible you have to training in the most explosive fashion " ( once again considering France's Teddy Tamgho is now seen as the best triple jumper in the world and has been knighted so by Jonathan Edwards himself , I would tend to think he knows his game )
So I think you would be well inspired to train plyos , vert and broad jump , concentric part of the squat in the most explosive fashion and also don't forget the posterior chain which is crucial in sprinting , and which most athletes neglects ...
Also if you have to do some oly lifting focus mainly on the snatch (if you can lear the technique/ already know it )

Just my two cents based on my exp though ...

I never lifted weights when I did track in high school and wish I had, I worked really hard otherwise and still sucked.
Tell me about it! I figure there's still hope in competitions with individual entrees, though.
Google Carl Valle and contact him.
Thanks! I'll send an e-mail his way. In the process of googling him, I stumbled across two forums; Catalyst Athletics and Elite Track. Do you think that these are, generally, reliable forums? I looked around and it (Catalyst Athletics, at least) seemed to be a place with fairly knowledgeable posters, but it can never hurt to confirm...
Get a coach!
Agreed; this is something I want to do. However, until I've saved enough money, all I can do is run on my own in the park by my gym (and train at the gym, of course). I figure I can get into a general training groove on my own, then, upon saving enough money, I can begin running under a coach.
How many days per week and how much time per day do you have to work with?
School starts soon, unfortunately. Based on this coming semester's schedule, the following hypothetical training slots are available...
M: P.M training
T: short A.M training, P.M. training
W: A.M. training, P.M. training
Th: P.M. training
F: short A.M. training, P.M. training
Sat: A.M. training, P.M. training
Sun:A.M. training, P.M. training
I included the possibility for AMs and PMs in the same day in case I needed to fit lifting and sprinting in on the same day. Like I said, I'm not sure what to expect, and I'm not sure how malleable a sprinting routine is.
Just my two cents based on my exp though ...
I'm very jealous you got to train in the presence of such an accomplished set of athletes! I am quite curious about the inclusion of plyometrics in program. I have precluded their use in the past because I simply wasn't strong enough. But given my current goals and present base of strength, I'm less apprehensive about using them. Also the point about the snatches is interesting. I've never been able to do them as I have very poor flexibility from (roughly) a dozen tears/dislocations, one which occurred recently. However, I love doing cleans (and am partial to doing full hang cleans). If there is anyway I could work those into my routine I'd be quite happy...along with BS and FS, too...

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far!

Tell me about it! I figure there's still hope in competitions with individual entrees, though.

Thanks! I'll send an e-mail his way. In the process of googling him, I stumbled across two forums; Catalyst Athletics and Elite Track. Do you think that these are, generally, reliable forums? I looked around and it (Catalyst Athletics, at least) seemed to be a place with fairly knowledgeable posters, but it can never hurt to confirm...

Agreed; this is something I want to do. However, until I've saved enough money, all I can do is run on my own in the park by my gym (and train at the gym, of course). I figure I can get into a general training groove on my own, then, upon saving enough money, I can begin running under a coach.

School starts soon, unfortunately. Based on this coming semester's schedule, the following hypothetical training slots are available...
M: P.M training
T: short A.M training, P.M. training
W: A.M. training, P.M. training
Th: P.M. training
F: short A.M. training, P.M. training
Sat: A.M. training, P.M. training
Sun:A.M. training, P.M. training
I included the possibility for AMs and PMs in the same day in case I needed to fit lifting and sprinting in on the same day. Like I said, I'm not sure what to expect, and I'm not sure how malleable a sprinting routine is.

I'm very jealous you got to train in the presence of such an accomplished set of athletes! I am quite curious about the inclusion of plyometrics in program. I have precluded their use in the past because I simply wasn't strong enough. But given my current goals and present base of strength, I'm less apprehensive about using them. Also the point about the snatches is interesting. I've never been able to do them as I have very poor flexibility from (roughly) a dozen tears/dislocations, one which occurred recently. However, I love doing cleans (and am partial to doing full hang cleans). If there is anyway I could work those into my routine I'd be quite happy...along with BS and FS, too...

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far!

You are welcome .

If your strength base is now better maybe it's time to do more flexibility training which is ofc very important as a flexible muscle is stronger/more powerful ( because you are more relexed and thus generally use less energy to do the same motion , not flexibility allow to have longer strides ), and it also helps injury prevention ...

I wouldn't recommend snatching without a good coach though .
Maybe you could trade oly weightlifting for some plyo works a la De Franco like box jumping , deficit jumping from a box etc .
Maybe continuing a bit to build up your strength and then doing a first 4-6 weeks plyo cycle ( depending on your results and recovery time ) would be a good start ..?
Concerning EliteTrack and Catalyst Athletics they seem to be solid forums from what I have seen there .

By the what are your times on the 100 and 200 meter dash ?

Back