sprinting -vs- long distance running/jogging

Do you turds think its a coincidence that all marathon runners are built the same way? And power lifters? An swimmers? It gives you a fairly decent idea of what said activity will do for you in the long run, unless you are stupid.

Go look at a picture of Carl Lewis for a second

yeah sprinters
Carl Lewis
1673665_orig.jpg

Harry AA
or_65e5969612784314773573.jpg

and Carl had the better 100m sprint

Yeah it's like their diet and GPP practices had a big effect on their physique and weren't completely determined by their sport or something

Power lifters look like power lifters because they power lift all the time, swimmers are built like swimmers because the swim all the time, marathon runners are built like marathon runners because they run marathons.. Does common sense not work in this forum because dumasses want to sound like they know some secrets lol??

If I distance jog 2-3 times, I THIN OUT, visibly.. If I just do my 30 sprints up the bleachers at the local hs stadium (Chippewa for the Michigan locals) I don't thin out like I do when I jog. If I don't do any cardio and just lift as heavy as I can (the way I usually lift) I stay thick and gain power.. If I swim a lot (I did this a few years ago when I was the gm of a club with an Olympic size swimming pool) I thin out, but in a different way than distance jogging, I stay a little more muscular.

Do you turds think its a coincidence that all marathon runners are built the same way? And power lifters? An swimmers? It gives you a fairly decent idea of what said activity will do for you in the long run, unless you are stupid.

I recall reading a study (or a text book) that said it is more genetics than training methods that influence anthropometrics for various sports i.e. people with more type II fibers gravitate towards powerlifting and people with more type I fibers gravitate towards marathon running

Harry AA is a beast. I saw a couple of youtube videos of him in which he managed to front squat 405 lbs and do 9 muscle ups. It still amazes me how Bolt smokes him in a race.

yeah sprinters
Carl Lewis
1673665_orig.jpg

Harry AA
or_65e5969612784314773573.jpg

and Carl had the better 100m sprint

just adding to the point made, body types dont matter so long as the sprinter has highly efficient CNS along with fast twitch muscle fibers, and good adrenaline pump to boot. They come in all shapes in sizes, it's the top world class sprinters who do weight training that the similar hypertrophy occurs also the fact most of them come from a distinct ethnic group who have not much trouble putting on aesthetic muscle size.

Last edited:
Harry AA is a beast. I saw a couple of youtube videos of him in which he managed to front squat 405 lbs and do 9 muscle ups. It still amazes me how Bolt smokes him in a race.

Bolt has a much more efficient CNS then Harry allowing him to generate more power, also weightlifting training is huge in Britain many athletes partake in it to help them get prepared for the season. When it comes to athletics sports, the athletes themselves express their powers exceptionally in the gym room because they already have developed good neural stimulation through all those years of training, the strength gains come easy after that, doing it the other way around is far more difficult and tedious. Much of this has also to do with the fact that one cannot train year round outside like in places such as Jamaica, so there is not incentive to spend too much time in the weight room, other training ventures in the gym are viable option to increase power output in colder countries. Had bolt spent more time in the gym he would be just as impressive in the numbers he would be putting up relative to his body type, the neural adaptations are already there.

Does common sense not work in this forum because dumasses want to sound like they know some secrets lol??

No, we just understand basically physiology and exercise science. Apparently, you do not.

If I distance jog 2-3 times, I THIN OUT, visibly

You should probably drink water. Dehyrdating will thin pretty much anyone out.

Do you turds think its a coincidence that all marathon runners are built the same way?

I was typing up a long response, but I don't feel like dignifying your ignorance and douche-baggery with that.

There are exceptions.. Like fat basketball players.

But its pretty obvious, long distance running will make you look like a long distance runner. It's not just "genetic predisposition" making people enter certain sports. If I were ti get I. Shape for a marathon I would go from 222 to 180, and be thinner, pretty simple. Again, if you look at 100 people that partake In a physical activity on a regular basis you can get an idea of what that activity is doing to the body, with some genetic variation causing some fluctuation. It's pretty obvious. When I quit doing cardio, and lift heavy, I get barrel chased, and my overall thickness in my shoulders goes up.. My body is starting to morph into a power lifter. When I do lots of yoga and cardio and stop lifting so heavy, I look thinner. It's pretty simple guys, WORKING OUT IS NOTHING MORE THAN ADAPTING THE BODY TO CERTAIN ACTIVITIES.. That's all the changes in your body are, adaptations and your body. Hanging to help you complete the new tasks it thinks you have to do to survive. So what does your body loom like when you adapt to long distance running? What changes have to be made ti make short burst heavy lifts? Different body types serve different purposes, adapt your body the way you want.

But its pretty obvious, long distance running will make you look like a long distance runner. It's not just "genetic predisposition" making people enter certain sports. If I were ti get I. Shape for a marathon I would go from 222 to 180, and be thinner, pretty simple. Again, if you look at 100 people that partake In a physical activity on a regular basis you can get an idea of what that activity is doing to the body, with some genetic variation causing some fluctuation. It's pretty obvious. When I quit doing cardio, and lift heavy, I get barrel chased, and my overall thickness in my shoulders goes up.. My body is starting to morph into a power lifter. When I do lots of yoga and cardio and stop lifting so heavy, I look thinner. It's pretty simple guys, WORKING OUT IS NOTHING MORE THAN ADAPTING THE BODY TO CERTAIN ACTIVITIES.. That's all the changes in your body are, adaptations and your body. Hanging to help you complete the new tasks it thinks you have to do to survive. So what does your body loom like when you adapt to long distance running? What changes have to be made ti make short burst heavy lifts? Different body types serve different purposes, adapt your body the way you want.

certain peoples body do not respond to hypertrophy stimulus quite so simple as others, yet they exhibit qualities of doing well in a sport where their anthropomorphic appearance is not common to the sport they partake in. The body changes are just a product of the training itself they don't train to look the part at all it comes with the training territory. If someone looks a part for a sporting event, it should not distinguish where they may potentially be good at, not until you see how they perform in various sports to see where their latent talent is. If this was the case many Olympic weightlifters, jumpers, and sprinters a like would throw in the towel not challenging where their talents would land them in the world.

You're confusing concepts, and making invalid and silly points because of it.

Thinking about choosing a "body type" is dumb; thinking about choosing a training stimulus that is in line with your specific goals is more reasonable.

The point of training is to produce specific adaptations; training is most effective when other factors are also directed towards producing those adaptations (ie. nutrition). Running a long distance to to improve cardiac output or similar qualities does not necessarily mean you will shrink. If you eat correctly, you won't, and your muscle mass will not magically atrophy. There are tons of examples of athletes with what might be labled "ideal body types" that run long distances, who clearly are not significantly atrophied.

If you don't understand the difference between making using of steady state aerobic training, like running, as part of GPP or broader athletic goals and training and eating specifically to be a marathoner, then you're a damn fool.

Guess what? Polish, and Chinese Weightlifters have all used, in some amount, jogging as GPP. The Soviets did a huge variety of things for GPP, including Skiing, Volleyball and Soccer. And they all still looked like weightlifters, and won medals.

Yeah but sprinting isn't a stimulus to hypertrophy (other than quads, and guess what, endurance athletes get that too. Lance Armstrong has pistons on his thighs). The WEIGHT TRAINING which is more prevalent in sprinting helps with hypertrophy, along with the lower total of calories burned. The guy in the common sprinter/distance runner picture? He's a former bodybuilder. Nothing we know about bodybuilding (Lots of submaximal weight sets near failure, maximizing ROM and time under tension with imcomplete recovery) paints a picture of sprinting. Practices are short, low on tension, with complete recovery. Most sprint practices DON'T ACTUALLY CONTAIN SPRINTING. You do submaximal base building work, tempo runs, etc that don't go near your maximal speeds because your coach doesn't want your CNS to explode.

You're confusing concepts, and making invalid and silly points because of it.

Thinking about choosing a "body type" is dumb; thinking about choosing a training stimulus that is in line with your specific goals is more reasonable.

The point of training is to produce specific adaptations; training is most effective when other factors are also directed towards producing those adaptations (ie. nutrition). Running a long distance to to improve cardiac output or similar qualities does not necessarily mean you will shrink. If you eat correctly, you won't, and your muscle mass will not magically atrophy. There are tons of examples of athletes with what might be labled "ideal body types" that run long distances, who clearly are not significantly atrophied.

If you have a smart body, it will thin you out so you can more effectively run long distances if that's what you are training for.. All training is is making your body adapt ti something, and pushing its adaptational abilities to its full potential. Extra muscle requires extra oxygen, an the weight of it alone will make running over 25 miles more difficult.. You will naturally lose muscle in the process of training hard for running extreemely long distances.. And no, I do not see huge guys (muscle wise) finishing in the top 10 of marathons, ever. Some guys may look big compared to the guy that finished in front of them, or look ripped because of a lack of body fat, but they are all thin. As somebody looking to Benin overall good shape, running has its place, all kinds of running.. But know that distance running is not conducive with mass gains, or even strength gains for that matter.

If you have a smart body, it will thin you out so you can more effectively run long distances if that's what you are training for.. All training is is making your body adapt ti something, and pushing its adaptational abilities to its full potential. Extra muscle requires extra oxygen, an the weight of it alone will make running over 25 miles more difficult.. You will naturally lose muscle in the process of training hard for running extreemely long distances.. And no, I do not see huge guys (muscle wise) finishing in the top 10 of marathons, ever. Some guys may look big compared to the guy that finished in front of them, or look ripped because of a lack of body fat, but they are all thin. As somebody looking to Benin overall good shape, running has its place, all kinds of running.. But know that distance running is not conducive with mass gains, or even strength gains for that matter.

there is no such thing as a smart body, it will adapt neurologically to the stimulus presented upon it, those with talent and not very much aesthetic looking bodies will still find success in what they do. The ones that thin out easily or get muscular are already predisposed to such body types in the first place, by that same logic getting fat is the bodies way of being smart simply because fat is such a useful energy source for the bodies ability to sustain itself, it also enables fast adaptation yielding to strength and power to what you are doing provided you don't go overboard and become obese. If you want to improve your bodies physique to look like a professional power athlete, then do bodybuilding exercises and follow the discipline to look the part, but you wont perform like these other athletes for the simple fact you didn't train in it specifically nor did you give your CNS a reason to adapt to such a harsh stimulus in the first place, thus improving your performance. Assuming you looked the part but started training in a sport that suits your body type you still might not be successful in it because it will take years of intelligent, dedicated training to perform at such a high level or your potential, by then you would have wasted time trying to look the part anyways.

Most of us are not even conceding the fact marathons wont put you in an anabolic state of course, and likewise for anaerobic sports. You seem to confuse the appearance with athletic performance.

Last edited:
Back