sprinting -vs- long distance running/jogging

supmaynnn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what are the benefits of each. i know one is anaerobic and one is aerobic

does sprinting burn fat since its not cardio? what muscles does it help build

will it take more cardio and running to burn as much calories as a short amount of sprinting?

what are the benefits of each in boxing. is punching and footwork more aerobic or anaerobic

Lots of info on this. Search. You need a vo2 max before you can start sprints. Build up with LSD then move onto sprints. Do both. SEARCH.

what does LsD and vo2 max mean, i searched them and couldnt find results on waht they mean

For MMA or Boxing I think its best to run, goal is 18 minute three miler. Haven't gotten there but its gets your cardio up and its about the full length of a fight. Better than sprints or jog.

Some people swear by heart rate monitors, knowing your VO2 max, etc, but I think you know best what works for you.

Very basically:

Long slow runs burn calories and establish an aerobic base to build on.

Sprints develop your ability to go explosive, to go into an anaerobic (without O2) state and stay there.

Do long slow runs in the off season, and as you near competition do more sprints.

That's the basics.

Oh yeah. VO2 is your bodies ability to USE oxygen. Lance Armstrong has a very high VO2 max, and so his body utilizes the O2 in his sysytem extremely well.

I think LCDforme used LSD to stand for Long Slow Distance or something like that, meaning run long and slow at first, then move to sprints as an event (fight) nears.

It's as simple or complicated as you want to make it.

Again, what works for me is long and slow in the off season and sprints and hills as competition nears.

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/testosterone/testosterone.html

The results of the retrospective comparative studies examining isolated, single blood samples suggest lower testosterone levels in chronically endurance-trained males. The subjects in these studies have typically been distance runners who had been involved with the physical training aspects of their sport for 1 to 15 years. In these studies, testosterone levels of the endurance-trained men were found to be 60-85% of the levels of matched, untrained men.

I wouldnt overdo long distance running.

"CHRONICALLY endurance trained". if u do sprints or weights or boxin or anythin anaerobic will probably counteract the effects. those are probably the skinny lil guys who run like 15000000 miles a day. cardio and endurance is ur friend!

Mix them both together to get benefits from both.

exactly, if you run like 3 days a week , do one long run at a moderate pace, one medium length run at a fartlek pace or windsprints , and then short burt interval stuff like sprints or burpees on another day. There you go. gradually try to do more in each every week. An 18 minute 3 mile is pretty diesel and one is in good shape if they can do that regardless of what people say that carrys over to sport. If you can run an 18min 5k and have any semblance of fight training at all i dont see one gassing.

Yeah if you get into shape to do a 18 min 3 miler you will be a cardio beast. I run my 3 miler in 23:30 and I have never gassed once in training or sparring.

Its true, my last 5km run time was 18:52 and i never come close to gassing on the pads or in sparring, but im sure HIIT and GC helped to my 5km time.

What do you guys think of incline running? 5% or 10% does it benefit in anyway other than greater calorie loss?

I run on an incline alot I go up to mount Charleston and train up there and go up and down the small hills for my run. Since I have been doing it my thighs have gotten thincker and more toned

DridenGX said:
What do you guys think of incline running? 5% or 10% does it benefit in anyway other than greater calorie loss?

I love hills. A relative of mine who competes in Iron Man Triathlons always says "Hills make champions" every time we run together and are approaching a beast of a hill. They not only take you into that anaerobic state of being, but also strengthen your legs. The panting and leg burning that comes from hills is about as close as I've come to sparring conditioning without actually sparring.
I've gassed in tournaments (judo) before. This time around I added serious hills to my training leading up to my tournament and I felt totally fine during my matches, and didn't gas.

Also, the earlier qoute about endurance athletes having lower testosterone is misleading. Endurance atheletes are generally understood to be those guys who run marathons (26.2 miles) on the weekends and run a triathalon once a month, and then do several Eco-Challenges a year. Those guys are nucking futs. The "distance" running we're talking about here is anywhere from 3 to 10 miles a session, a couple times a week. The evidence in those ranges suggests a rise in testosterone, not a decline.

Bubble Boy said:
The "distance" running we're talking about here is anywhere from 3 to 10 miles a session, a couple times a week. The evidence in those ranges suggests a rise in testosterone, not a decline.

Source?

coplat said:
For MMA or Boxing I think its best to run, goal is 18 minute three miler. Haven't gotten there but its gets your cardio up and its about the full length of a fight. Better than sprints or jog.
do you fight ? as a fighter and one who trains with multiple world champions you need both running is good but to say you dont need sprints is insane

Appreciate the responses. I'll stick to higher incline. I was running at 1%, sometimes 2% on the threadmill but when I actually ran trails outdoors my legs would burn like hell this all makes sense.

Back