Sprinting question

Morgano

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get my sprinting a little faster, I was like a 4.4 or 4.5 in the forty this time last year and am now like 4.8, I was wondering if sprinting in heavy boots would have any sort of impact in increasing my speed.

I would recomend just doing a lot of sprints rather than wear heavy boots. Try uphill sprints for a little extra work if you wish.

Your going to get a few replies along the lines of 'it will be hell on your joints', which is very true.

I'd have a few suggestions, but really this isn't my forte.
My 2 cents would be greater leg strength to explode out of the blocks and power you for the short distance, but what do I know

and what he said ^^^^
If you want to get good at something, do it a lot, but I thought that was a bit redundant :redface:

I just kind of typed that without really putting any thought into it, but I guess my thinking was something along the lines of, training with 160z gloves makes your hands faster, maybe if i wear heavier shoes...i heard a story of deion sanders running in tims before...

Also, you can see if your form got any worse since running the faster times. Other than that, and not knowing much else, I'd say work on your explosion on the start and technique throughout the entire sprint.

Training in boots isn't a good idea... Suggestions for you:

Lose weight - primarly upper body weight be it fat or muscle (stop training upper body if you have to.)
Invest in a weighted vest to train with.
Invest in streamlined clothing - spandex.
Invest in a pair of competition running shoes - I like the Adidas Supernova Competition. Competition shoes are usually 9-10.5oz per male size 9 shoe instead of 12-13oz that standard shoes weigh.
Take stimulants prior to the run.

Really, it all depends on how far you want to go with it.

i hear its not good to get used to using weighted things wen sprinting...or using dumbells to shadow box with etc. Coz goes against the training principle of specificity. By adding weights..u train urself to move that slow. Yes it will increase explosive power, only if u do it for a short period of time. But for things like sprinting, it is not reccomended.

Valgarv said:
Training in boots isn't a good idea... Suggestions for you:

Lose weight - primarly upper body weight be it fat or muscle (stop training upper body if you have to.)
Invest in a weighted vest to train with.
Invest in streamlined clothing - spandex.
Invest in a pair of competition running shoes - I like the Adidas Supernova Competition. Competition shoes are usually 9-10.5oz per male size 9 shoe instead of 12-13oz that standard shoes weigh.
Take stimulants prior to the run.

Really, it all depends on how far you want to go with it.

Funny because Olympic Sprinters have a pretty well developed upper body. I dunno about not training the upper body. When I ran track the only way I started to get faster was whe I did a lot off 100's and I eventually got faster. I wish my coach had believed in weight training though.

I didn't mean that he should intentionally lose upper body muscle while retaining lower body fat.

I'm assuming that he's already very lean and fits the typical american mold when it comes to strength training. To get faster you either need to gain leg strength or reduce weight. Focusing on leg strength is inverse to the training habbits of most men who, in general, tend to focus on the upper body and neglect legs.

Assumptions can never be 100% accurate without personally knowing the person, their training habbits and their body type.

ChowTime100 said:
Funny because Olympic Sprinters have a pretty well developed upper body. I dunno about not training the upper body. When I ran track the only way I started to get faster was whe I did a lot off 100's and I eventually got faster. I wish my coach had believed in weight training though.

your right, you can only run as fast as your arms can pump. Upper body training is important for sprinting

Back