Spray butter calories?

Rjkd12

Certified Bastard
Reaction score
Ok, so a while back I found the new fat free spray butter at the local store. Wow, it tastes fine to me (took a little getting used to) and it has zero calories. So, for some time now every time I get veggies, or butter my toast, I use this spray. Since its calorie free, I load my food up, why not right? Its calorie free. I only use real butter if I'm cooking (then normally I use olive oil) or if I have bread rolls or something (very seldom). So, you can imagine, I've had my fair share of spray butter.

Now, today I was talking to someone and made a joke about how I use a lot. This person is in weight watchers. They said that weight watchers took the stuff, and looked into it. They found that its just margarine plus water. So, by spraying it and watering it down the calories per serving are so small that you don't have to mention it (there is a lower limit of something that if its under you don't have to mention it in the lable). So, I got curious. I looked at whats in it and its water, soybean oil, and buttermilk as the top 3. Last I heard, 2 of those contained calories.

Now, my diet is far from perfect (I'm sipping on Baileys now, which has a kajillion calories per ounce), and the person who I talked to said that its so low calorie, don't worry about it. That isn't the point. Its all about the principle. What do you guys think? You guys hear anything about the stuff?

I use this when my wife buys it (Pam, etc), and yeah, its bascially oil/alcohol under pressure, sometimes also some soy lethecin. I think Entropy or someone posted something about the lethecin manufacturing process in another thread and it really tunred me off to that crap.

Anyway, they can state 0 calories because the amount you are supposed to use is very minimal, but if you are blasting this thick on everthing I think you ought to use regular oil or butter.

You know, I think I am going to get one of those refillable olive oil sprayers...I think that might be best as I can use a spray to coat a pan with very little oil, but avoid the junk in the canned stuff.

Legally if the the fat content in one serving is less than or equal to .5 grams they can call it zero. You'll never only use one serving though. Those sprays and non-stick sprays are almost ALL fat. and I don't think I have to tell you, that zero grams of fat = zero calories.

I like the spray because I am able to cook the same amount of food with less oil. For some dishes, if I use straight oil, it gets absorbed too fast in the food, then I have to pour some more. The spray covers the whole pan (as for eggs) with very little oil.

butter + paper towel to spread it with = total pan coverage. you can even use olive oil if you're on the anti-butter bandwagon. Or any oil you want in an atomizer and it'll take care of it without any of the chemically stuff in your average non-stick spray.

Urban said:
butter + paper towel to spread it with = total pan coverage. you can even use olive oil if you're on the anti-butter bandwagon. Or any oil you want in an atomizer and it'll take care of it without any of the chemically stuff in your average non-stick spray.
Or I could just use the fucking spray, Urban.

Huh? You like that? You like it? Hrhrhrhrsahsaahsrthrha! Yeah, you like it!!!

what?! even after I posed a highly opinionated alternative you're still going to continue your old habbits?! THAT'S JUST MAD!!! MADNESS I TELL YOU!

i thought the stuff was average , i didnt put any muscle on with it what soever, even tried injecting it but nothing

olive oil works just aswell , and is cheaper here in the uk

Back