Sprawl and ClinchGear sizing---a quick review

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by MMAR15, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MMAR15

MMAR15 Orange Belt

Bought both recently and I have to say both are quality products. I like the Clinch Gear because they are very lightweight and not bulky at all. They are excellent for NoGi BJJ.

The Sprawl are also excellent quality with good stitching and heavy material.

As far as sizing...I'm a 33" waist. I ordered 34" for the Sprawl and the fit wasn't a problem because of the elastic waist and drawstring. If you are an "in-between" size I recommend going bigger if you are getting Sprawl shorts.

The Clinch gear shorts are strictly velcro and the 34" shorts for them was too big for me. Trying to "make them smaller" just didn't work. So I returned them for the 32" and the fit was much much better. (side note-- the customer service for ClinchGear was top notch and what you would expect for a reputable company when doing any product return). So for these type of shorts I recommend going down a size if you are an odd numbered waist size.

Anyway, that's my quick review. Your milage may vary.

2. risingD

risingD Guest

I recently received a pair of hendo 100 boardshorts in 36 since I am a 35 and live in europe (no chance to return them) I found following solution the simplest

I ve just sewed a little "wedge" in the waist band that's how the waist band got 0,5 inch smaller without cutting in the shorts or destroying them
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  3. situation4life

situation4life Orange Belt

actually for sprawl, you can go down a size if your in between sizes because of the elastic waist band.

4. madizm2

madizm2 Brown Belt

Im a 33" waist and the 34's from CG fit perfectly. 2 great companies nonetheless.

5. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Yeah, this goes against my experience which is to always order up in Clinch Gear if you're in doubt. My waist is around 33

6. tiger.shark

tiger.shark To the sharks!

Yeah, with Clinch Gear you should order up (usually) and Sprawl order down.

7. risingD

risingD Guest

I want to pick up a pair of primo clinch gear shorts I am 35 should I get them in 36?
    I own the hendo 100 boardshorts I got them in 36 and they are a little bit too big?

8. madizm2

madizm2 Brown Belt

Maybe try over-closing (if thats a word?) the velcro on the 36's to ensure a little more snug fit. I notice that sometimes works for me and I'm able to get .25" - .50" smaller fit.

9. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

I would absolutely get them in 36", but I think it depends a lot on how much muscle (/fat) you're packing on your ass and thighs.

I've never tried the 100s so I don't know if they're sized similarly.

10. esum80

esum80 แทงเข่าขวา

i'm a size 32 and bought a pair of 32 sprawls - a little snug but overall, pretty good.