Sprained thumb

MMA junkie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Sprained my thumb on Tuesday. It got caught up in a lapel and bent back farther than it should. I taped it up yesterday but it was a horrible tape job that eventually came loose. Anyways, I don't think I did any major ligament damage to it as it is not THAT swollen and the pain is tolerable.

I rolled the next day and I am having problem with a lot of the grips though because I cannot use my left thumb.

Do you guys continue to train with a sprained thumb and just tape it up or you take time off? I am trying to use the pistol grips/hooks instead but grabbing the lapel and pushing down the hips can be a little tough at times.

Thanks!

I train through it, and take it as a lesson to be more careful and efficient how I keep my fingers and thumbs when I make my grips.

But yeah it is a pain in the ass. Or more accurately the thumb.

Gable grip ftw.

I sprained my thumb months ago. I can take ages to heal up and it still gives me bother now and again.

I use boxers hand wraps and instead of wrapping the knuckles wrap the thumb and wrist more. Please take it easy as it will not get better if it get constantly re-injured.

Yes gable grip is great. One of my favorites, thanks for the reminder.

Definitely taking it easy. Not trying to "win" every roll, that is for sure. I have pretty good teammates, I actually had to tell one of my teammates to roll a bit harder. I have Muay Thai wraps, I should put those to use. Great idea, thanks!

On a side note I saw Master Carlos rolling with Kayron both with one hand tied to their belt. I thought about doing this but then forgot I'm not even close to their skill level. :p

Back