1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Sportsmanship (and lack thereof) after the fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by HHJ, Oct 13, 2021.

?

How much do you personally care about sportsmanship in general?

1. Sportmanship is something that should always happen no matter what

27.4%
  2. If there's personal animosity, sportsmanship could be put aside, (should be exception to the rule)

31.6%
  3. Case by case basis

33.2%
  4. I dont care at all,bring on the hate!

7.9%
  1. A.S. Deep Red Belt

I'm here to watch fights, not sportsmanship.

2. Strategery Purple Belt

It's fighting to the death. I prefer no sportsmanship.

3. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

He was a man, was fear's machine
    Sickness don't fail, don't succumb to self-esteem
    Unseen vessel, undreamed flight
    No one knows if you were wrong or if you were right

4. Mohawk Banditó Black Belt

I would say that if there's personal animosity, sportsmanship could be put aside, but the problem is, that animosity is almost always some bullshit. It's always either fake, played up for cameras, or real but based off some childish shit in the first place. I can't stand fighters who have to force themselves to hate an opponent to fight them, Diaz style. To me, that feels more like mental weakness than anything. You always get those stupid soundbites of a guy going, "Just by deciding to fight me, he wants to take food off my kid's table." Then don't be a competitor. Don't compete with people for money at all, cuz it's clearly not good for your brain.

And most 'real' animosity can be set aside to respect someone for the fight they put up, so even if people don't like each other, sportsmanship can still be shown. Ronda's "real bitch over fake nice" or whatever it was is sociopathic and doesn't reflect the complicated multi-sided nature of humans. People are supposed to have layers and be complicated. It's not hypocrisy. If you can be defined by only 3 words, it doesn't matter how positive those words are, being that simple is negative. There is absolutely zero wrong with Tate saying that Ronda is a fuckin bitch (cuz she is) and saying Ronda has an amazing work ethic and is a dangerous martial artists (which she did and was).

So shake someone's hand and then get on the mic tomorrow and say you still think they're an asshole. It's not hard.