Sportsmanship (and lack thereof) after the fight

How much do you personally care about sportsmanship in general?

• Total voters
Without putting a moral judgment on the analysis, simply ask yourself whether you think sportsmanship and other signals of "good behavior" were likely higher or lower during the heydays of civilizations like Greece, Rome, the Iberian Peninsula, Britain, versus during their collapse or post-collapse times?

The Devil is winning confirmed...

All seriousness though ... As the saying goes those who dont know history are bound to repeat it alot can be learned from the rise and fall of past civilizations for sure ...

But a key thing to remember is change is the one constant thing in all living things things...whether its individuals...groups.. families...societies...change will always come so the good and bad are merely here or there for the moment...its the consistency in which you choose to act yourself that makes the difference or peoples/regions difference...

For instance Rome... The people of rome consistently choose to act of behalf and for Rome over and over and over again following ruler after ruler and thus never broke till there rulers did ...so no matter what change came good or bad the Romans simply acted as Romans would or should...and thus survived those moments where others could not... consistent choice is key

I don't really care if they buddy up after a scrap.

Then again I don't much care if they are beefing either.

Jus Bleed!

<{JustBleed}>

It's nice to see sportsmanship, but I don't really care if fighters are unsportsmanlike, most of the time. I don't see fighters as some kind of role models or superheroes.

I agree. That said, I love to see when two guys who have animosity for one another or have said some things end up going out of their way after a fight at least to show respect to one another. Ortega/Volkanovski being a good example of that recently.

There is real beef and there is weird shit. I remember Ronda talking weird shit about Holm that made no sense.

I agree. That said, I love to see when two guys who have animosity for one another or have said some things end up going out of their way after a fight at least to show respect to one another. Ortega/Volkanovski being a good example of that recently.

Indeed, but I also kinda expected it because their bad blood was mainly just from working on each other's nerves from being on TUF together. It wasn't really deeply rooted or really personal. That and of course they REALLY left it all in the cage with that fight. All dat energy that was stored up was emptied out. Beautiful ting to see!

Of course you could kinda say the same thing with Ronda, but Volk just doesn't use the same kind of motivation for fighting as she did. Different personalities and all that.

case by case, I just want people to be true to themselves.

Overlooked unsportsmanship is Rich Clementi v. Melvin Guillard.

In the post fight interview (I cant find it) Clementi basically said Guillard was a piece of shit and told him to get out of the cage. They had to hold Melvin back again.

Indeed, but I also kinda expected it because their bad blood was mainly just from working on each other's nerves from being on TUF together. It wasn't really deeply rooted or really personal. That and of course they REALLY left it all in the cage with that fight. All dat energy that was stored up was emptied out. Beautiful ting to see!

Of course you could kinda say the same thing with Ronda, but Volk just doesn't use the same kind of motivation for fighting as she did. Different personalities and all that.

Yeah, I can only imagine what it's like being in close quarters and around a guy you're going to have to beat up, for six weeks.

This moment is soooooooooooooooooooo funny. Simply because Yoel's hilarious "Gay Jesus" tirade.

Demian Maia is also a good sport!

Anderson Silva also showed some real class in Azevedo fight and with Weidman at weigh-ins.

I also remember the amazing broad cast of disastrous Battle at Neva in 2009 where Gegard Mousasi defeated Alexander Kokoev. He approached Kokoev, who was sitting on the canvas, and started comforting and kissing him. Kokoev, who was upset and in tears, explicitly asked "Don't kiss me."

You never know when your affectionate opponent may approach you and add insult to injury, in a way.

Sometimes the corner of the fighter should get in there and intervene if they can get their fast enough. Protect their guy when they may be concussed. Id be mad at my corner if they let Yoel make out with me while i dont know what the fuck is going on

Overlooked unsportsmanship is Rich Clementi v. Melvin Guillard.

In the post fight interview (I cant find it) Clementi basically said Guillard was a piece of shit and told him to get out of the cage. They had to hold Melvin back again.

These two really hated each other,and then Clementi kinda gave him some kind of pelvic thrust after tapping him out,so when the fight was stopped,Melvin tried to attack Clementi.

I prefer it, but I won't judge someone too harshly if they breach sportsmanship etiquette in most situations. I also value authenticity and am not too interested in fake displays of (un)sportsman-like conduct.

What's the difference between #2 and #3 in your poll?

Wouldn't a case by case basis take into account the personal animosity for that particular case?

I prefer it, but I won't judge someone too harshly if they breach sportsmanship etiquette in most situations. I also value authenticity and am not too interested in fake displays of (un)sportsman-like conduct.
Like when Wanderlei and Rampage fought,that was one of MMA's most intense rivalries.

None of their four fights ever went to a decision but they always showed respect for each other after,even if it was just a quick embrace,and a pat on the shoulder. In their last fight they actually showed some affection for each other like "this crazy motherfucker got balls fighting me this many times"

Wanderlei was even like "lets do number 5!"

If you watched these guys entire careers like I did,it was a touching moment and a good example of how it could be.

Unless there's some deep seeded issues, drama, and hatred, then I think being professional and being a good winner/loser is important for the sport.

I voted the personal animosity choice. Melvin Guillard vs Rich Clementi I can understand. I’d expect sportsmanship in all fights that don’t involve genuine beef.

And Deontay Wilder is a bitch for not respecting Fury. Champions are sore losers so I had no big issue with his whinging after the 2nd fight but to not let it lie after the epic 3rd is a bitch move. Poor from Wilder, needs to apologise and say heat of the moment imo.

What's the difference between #2 and #3 in your poll?

Wouldn't a case by case basis take into account the personal animosity for that particular case?
I guess my feeling on it is,that some people #2 would be really be averse to any unsportsmanship,but "ok,that guy went too far,so I understand"

Whereas a case by case basis is really just however people feel about any particular fued,and more accepting to the fact,that wether people like it or not,these things are going to happen,and not bothered by it for it's sake.

A difference between:

Hey! thats not cool,I get it that this guy said shit about his family,but damn man,pull yourself together and be a pro!

and

<Fedor23>

Well,dude talked about his mama. I wouldnt let nobody talk about my mama. That's goin too far.

which is STILL different,to me than:

<{JustBleed}>

DESTROY EVERYTHING

Last edited:
I voted the personal animosity choice. Melvin Guillard vs Rich Clementi I can understand. I’d expect sportsmanship in all fights that don’t involve genuine beef.

And Deontay Wilder is a bitch for not respecting Fury. Champions are sore losers so I had no big issue with his whinging after the 2nd fight but to not let it lie after the epic 3rd is a bitch move. Poor from Wilder, needs to apologise and say heat of the moment imo.
He wont. Deontay's heart and competitiveness (which is considerable) has put his beliefs into a delusion. I think he's made this more personal for himself than anything Tyson Fury did.

He wont. Deontay's heart and competitiveness (which is considerable) has put his beliefs into a delusion. I think he's made this more personal for himself than anything Tyson Fury did.
Agreed. It’s a shame because it tarnished a great performance from Wilder, it takes two to tango and all that. He played his part for sure.

Reactions: HHJ
Fighting it out appears to be a good way to gain mutual respect but it shouldn't be required like it's preschool to hug somebody you don't like. If it happens it's nice but I'm fine either way for the most part.

It only makes sense if the other fighter has really crossed the line, most of the time it makes the fighter look like an asshole or whiner (depending on if they win or lose)

Back