Sportsmanship (and lack thereof) after the fight

How much do you personally care about sportsmanship in general?

• Total voters

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
After seeing that Deontay Wilder after losing to Tyson Fury,refused to show respect to the victor,I ask you how much do you personally care about sportsmanship in general

I would ask the mods if they could make a poll.

1 - You think sportmanship is something that should always happen no matter what
2 - In some instances of personal animosity,sportsmanship could be understandably put aside,but should be the exception to the rule
3 - Case by case basis
4 - I dont care at all,bring on the hate!

122_ronda_rousey_vs_miesha_tate_gallery_post.0.jpg

6c09964eaf7a482558b120673acacb91_crop_exact.png

3369329329_38090e4aff.jpg

TIMESTAMPED

It's nice to see sportsmanship, but I don't really care if fighters are unsportsmanlike, most of the time. I don't see fighters as some kind of role models or superheroes.

It's nice to see sportsmanship, but I don't really care if fighters are unsportsmanlike, most of the time. I don't see fighters as some kind of rolemodels or superheroes.
Yes,but they dont have to be role models or superheroes to have sportmanship. We have seen fighters who are no choir boys at all,and still show respect to their opponents after the fight. So it's something different. it's a mentality. Usually instilled by prior example,and also maybe the way they are raised/trained

It's a nice moment when there's some sportsmanship shown afterward.

That said, I do hate how people say that you should show sportsmanship no matter what. Just because you competed against each other doesn't mean everything that was said and done beforehand didn't happen.

That Ronda and Tate image in the opening post is a perfect example. Ronda explained that she respected Tate as an athlete and opponent, but didn't shake her hand because Tate had said some bad things about some people Ronda cared about.

It's a nice moment when there's some sportsmanship shown afterward.

That said, I do hate how people say that you should show sportsmanship no matter what. Just because you competed against each other doesn't mean everything that was said and done beforehand didn't happen.

That Ronda and Tate image in the opening post is a perfect example. Ronda explained that she respected Tate as an athlete and opponent, but didn't shake her hand because Tate had said some bad things about some people Ronda cared about.
I respect Ronda for doing what she felt was right. I've been there.

Sportsmanship is fine but I hate when the winner raises the losers arm or even worse starts carrying him around. Absolutely makes me cringe. Guy just lost and is sad, shake his hand and be done with it ffs.

Sportsmanship is fine but I hate when the winner raises the losers arm or even worse starts carrying him around. Absolutely makes me cringe. Guy just lost and is sad, shake his hand and be done with it ffs.
Yeah I dont think anyone likes that,and yet it happens all the time.

Couldn't care less tbh. I suppose it's nice if they gain respect for each other, but usually by the time they have a rematch it all goes out of the window anyway.

You can be salty if you had a good performance and got robbed.
But being a cunt when you had a shit fight and performance is unacceptable imo

Yes,but they dont have to be role models or superheroes to have sportmanship. We have seen fighters who are no choir boys at all,and still show respect to their opponents after the fight. So it's something different.

I'm not saying they have to be to show sportsmanship, but I'm just saying that's not what they have to show me necessarily, because I don't have expectations for them to show some kind of examplary behavior, which sportsmanship falls under, IMO. Even though I do certainly respect it. I see them as just any other person and people in general aren't perfect and do things I wouldn't do myself or wouldn't agree with. But I can still empathize 99.99% of the time, which helps not being bothered by it

Of course there is a line, like you could say eye poking is unsportsmanlike, and that shit annoys me a fuckton!

Also, I care more for people being honest, so if a person is still angry after a win, I see them acting out as just an honest expression of how they feel. Better than to show fake respect and bitch a whole lot about it later on.

Last edited:
Also, I care more for people being honest, so if a person is still angry after a win, I see them acting out as just an honest expression of how they feel.
Indeed.

Maybe people wish it were different. But sometimes it's not.

bisping displayed no sportsmanship to rockhold after the 2nd fight even though rockhold treated him with respect after the first fight

Picked choice #1. I think athletes/fighters should be mature enough to understand that it is a sport, a competition, and it's their profession. Or at least be professional in carrying yourself in handling defeat. Chael Sonnen said it well, "we get in there, beat the hell out of each other, and when it's over we shake hands." Not the exact quote but something along the lines with it.

ezgif-1-c7e6a7f422be.gif

Also it's a beautiful thing to watch after a hard fought fight, from both fighters who laid their lives on the line.

Back