Sports Websites hating on Boxing?

Dragonstyle915

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This does no include ESPN.COM btw. They kept their Boxing page and while a few newstories have the inevitable "Boxing vs. MMA dabte" (and its died down on ESPN.COM really) they truly kept their Boxing page.

But,
Foxsports.com, SI.com, Yahoo.com, aolsports, ect... have added MMA along side Boxing and usually 90% of their stories are MMA related. Boxing stories are sometimes very negative towards the sport as well. Others like MSN sports just have a UFC section and maybe a Boxing story or two will be added along side it. Some have totally isolated Boxing and kicked it to the curb just like that (Basically)

I have nothing against MMA. I watch the sport. I do enjoy it. While I lean towards Boxing my self I feel this is a slap in the face to Boxing though. Especially all the big news stories Boxing has given sports over the years. Just like that they stab it on the back.

I cant believe they dont realize 3 key things. (there are prob more key things but these are the main ones.

1. Alot if not some of Boxing fans dont care for MMA

2. Alot of MMA if not some fans dont care for Boxing

3. They are not, in any way-shape-or-form the same sport. (Sure the concept is the same... but come on)

Sports Illustrated has had alot of their issues sold because of Boxing in the past and they've just anihilated Boxing and seem to be on a mission to force an extermination of the sport of Boxing from their mag. (Althought the Spanish version which my uncle always gets has alot of Boxing stories) . (The Ring issue I have actually briefly talks about Sports Illustrated and how they've declaired Boxing dead and MMA in btw)

What pisses me off the more is that Boxing had a very good 2006 year, An Even better 2007 year and is currently following that pattern with 2008. I can understand any argument (while I disagree) that more casual fans are watching "UFC" than Boxing but IFL? King of the Cage? Elite XC? Dream? These small orgs get more coverage than boxing yet alot of them are losing money. Tell me any MMA org besides UFC that can sell 250,000 PPV buys. Chavez jr. sells more PPV's than all MMA orgs except for UFC.(Although that kid needs to stop fighitng on overpriced PPV's against journey men)

The numbers for Boxing are very similar to UFC. (And costs more $ at that-Nothing to brag about of course, I hate paying for PPV) Boxing is breaking records as well. Mayweather/Hatton broke record for non Heavyweight/Non latino PPV. Pac vs. Marquez for any weight class under 140.

I would just be interested to know why they have to remove Boxing yet some of those websites keep Bowling, Poker and AFL Football in their respective slots/pages.

This does no include ESPN.COM btw. They kept their Boxing page and while a few newstories have the inevitable "Boxing vs. MMA dabte" (and its died down on ESPN.COM really) they truly kept their Boxing page.

But,
Foxsports.com, SI.com, Yahoo.com, aolsports, ect... have added MMA along side Boxing and usually 90% of their stories are MMA related. Boxing stories are sometimes very negative towards the sport as well. Others like MSN sports just have a UFC section and maybe a Boxing story or two will be added along side it. Some have totally isolated Boxing and kicked it to the curb just like that (Basically)

I have nothing against MMA. I watch the sport. I do enjoy it. While I lean towards Boxing my self I feel this is a slap in the face to Boxing though. Especially all the big news stories Boxing has given sports over the years. Just like that they stab it on the back.

I cant believe they dont realize 3 key things. (there are prob more key things but these are the main ones.

1. Alot if not some of Boxing fans dont care for MMA

2. Alot of MMA if not some fans dont care for Boxing

3. They are not, in any way-shape-or-form the same sport. (Sure the concept is the same... but come on)

Sports Illustrated has had alot of their issues sold because of Boxing in the past and they've just anihilated Boxing and seem to be on a mission to force an extermination of the sport of Boxing from their mag. (Althought the Spanish version which my uncle always gets has alot of Boxing stories) . (The Ring issue I have actually briefly talks about Sports Illustrated and how they've declaired Boxing dead and MMA in btw)

What pisses me off the more is that Boxing had a very good 2006 year, An Even better 2007 year and is currently following that pattern with 2008. I can understand any argument (while I disagree) that more casual fans are watching "UFC" than Boxing but IFL? King of the Cage? Elite XC? Dream? These small orgs get more coverage than boxing yet alot of them are losing money. Tell me any MMA org besides UFC that can sell 250,000 PPV buys. Chavez jr. sells more PPV's than all MMA orgs except for UFC.(Although that kid needs to stop fighitng on overpriced PPV's against journey men)

The numbers for Boxing are very similar to UFC. (And costs more $ at that-Nothing to brag about of course, I hate paying for PPV) Boxing is breaking records as well. Mayweather/Hatton broke record for non Heavyweight/Non latino PPV. Pac vs. Marquez for any weight class under 140.

I would just be interested to know why they have to remove Boxing yet some of those websites keep Bowling, Poker and AFL Football in their respective slots/pages.

I agree that it's sad that boxing coverage by the mainstream media has declined. I think there's room enough for boxing and MMA to co-exist, but it seems like the mainstream media wants to cover one at the expense of the other.

I agree that it's sad that boxing coverage by the mainstream media has declined. I think there's room enough for boxing and MMA to co-exist, but it seems like the mainstream media wants to cover one at the expense of the other.

I agree. But look at ESPN. They're the leader in sports and they didnt isolate either of them and created their seperate web pages for them.

I know MMA has to get more "hits" than boxing tho which can be a reaso why. Some of these MMA fans will have a whole discussion on "Did you see him not check if so-n-so was okay? Thats not sporstmanship".... or "So-n-so eats everymorning at exactly 7:13 am. I have source!"

But I still think its pathetic.

Check out ESPNs navi bar at the top of their page. Boxing is listed next to the more "popular" sports, where as MMA is in the "other" sports section.

Edit" My bad, should have read the first line of your thread lol. Just read the title and started replying.

Sounds like they are just lumping all the combat sports together. I'm not sure I would cry conspiracy though.

conisdering that there is very little boxing on tv and other forms of media, its doing pretty damn good. there is some things that you can never kill off, rock n roll and boxing are two of those things.

Good post I agree.

SI has turned its back on Boxing.

0212_large.jpg

1228_large.jpg

0808_large.jpg

0206_large.jpg

0917_large.jpg

0919_large.jpg

Sounds like they are just lumping all the combat sports together. I'm not sure I would cry conspiracy though.

Its not a Conspiracy. Not even that. It's a blatant assault on Boxing. Sports websites like Foxsports, MSN and SI dont hide it.

MLB baseball and Hockey dont get ratings like they used to. I dont see the MLBpage on those websites being shared with Softball. And dont see Hockey merged wiht Soccer since they both are sports that consist of making goals.

I still do not see how MMA is bad for boxing. I did not watch boxing before I started watching MMA and now I am a casual fan of the sport. You would think that new people watching either sport would benifit both of them.

Blame boxing. For years they put on fights no one wanted to see and charged prices no one could afford. It is getting better and in the last 18 months or so we have seen some truly great fighters with big names fight each other. If that keeps up, look for boxing to make a come back but for every Mosley-Cotto, Calzghe-hopkins we have Ten DLH-Forbes or john ruiz fights.

MMA will not maintain at this level.
Look at the fan base. Sure, alot of demographics are covered. But the bulk of that fan base is one of the most fickle demographics in sports; mid teens to late 20s males.

But then there's the history of the two sports. If one thing lead to me being more enamored with boxing is it's history. Such a consistent and rich history. Then you look at mixed combat - if one thinks that boxing ebbs and flows (historically) then they'll have a devil of a time explaining the significantly more spotted history of mixed combat (pankration).
Some (many) sherdoggers and other mma fans believe that this (mixed style combat) is a relatively novel idea. I guess it's hard to blame them for thinking that since the sport surfaces for awhile, enjoys its moment in the sun and then falls off the face of the map if not out of the minds of people. Until that next generation witnesses it again and thinks "well, what a new and clever idea we have on our hands. Wonder why no one else thought of this?"

Look at the fan base. Sure, alot of demographics are covered. But the bulk of that fan base is one of the most fickle demographics in sports; mid teens to late 20s males.

I hope the MMA community gets their act together on this. I love MMA as much as boxing but the one thing that I hate about it is how its advertised and how organizations like the UFC live of its image. That hardcore, extreme image that appeals so much to frat boys and highschool kids. It pisses me off so much because I like professionalism and honor in martial arts. When those fans grow up it may not appeal them anymore.

But the media is going a good job of fooling the general population that boxing is "dying." I know some people who aren't fans of both sports and they think that "ultimate fighting" is taking over. They don't even know the correct name of the sport and they think its taking boxing over. :rolleyes: People who follow both sports actually know the deal.

Its not a Conspiracy. Not even that. It's a blatant assault on Boxing. Sports websites like Foxsports, MSN and SI dont hide it.

MLB baseball and Hockey dont get ratings like they used to. I dont see the MLBpage on those websites being shared with Softball. And dont see Hockey merged wiht Soccer since they both are sports that consist of making goals.

agreed. the media is really a little club that thinks their opinion is the only one that matters. and they decided some years ago boxing is dead. period. it doesnt matter what reality is, they have already decided. Even PTI says this shit periodically.

it would be nice to see Pavlik get more shine. Cotto should definitely get more attention from the sports media.

The fact that SI ignored Castillo Corrales 1 is mind boggling. To ignore that fight, you have to try. and they do. WHy wouldnt Vazquez Marquez get covered by sports center? How is that not worthy of a minute and a half worth of highlights in an hour long program?

But the media is going a good job of fooling the general population that boxing is "dying." I know some people who aren't fans of both sports and they think that "ultimate fighting" is taking over. They don't even know the correct name of the sport and they think its taking boxing over. :rolleyes: People who follow both sports actually know the deal.

this is also where the media is clueless. This country has a heavily hispanic influenced future. that is a statistical fact known to all. And thank god for mexican boxers. For this reason alone, the future of the sport will be just fine.

UFC kills with the young, white demo. thats great, especially for marketing. But that isnt exactly a growing demo in this country. At some point that little espn deportes spot that sportscenter rolls on weekends is going to be a thing onto its own, with boxing right there. maybe thats when izzy vazquez and fighters like that finally get their credit

I would actually be interested in knowing how ESPN2's WNF and FNF ratings do compared to NBA, MLB and shows like PTI.

I would, too. I wonder how many people out there tune into stuff on ESPN.

I would, too. I wonder how many people out there tune into stuff on ESPN.

I know the Monday Night Football games do very well and I think best ratings on cable TV. Other than that, I would laugh so hard if FNF and WNF gets better ratings than PTI.

Jim Rome still covers Boxing though. Quite Frankly with Stephen Smith did as well before I believe it was cancelled.

Stephen Smith was OK in doses. I can deal with Rome more than Smith. I would be interested in knowing those ratings, though.

I dont even know why Sports Illusrated declaired Boxing dead. The only thing thats dead is their failed attempt of a Sports network

dunno if they hate. but they arent any good thats for sure. a lot of big sport news websites are useless sorta like a lot of ap new (fox, cnn... etc)... blogs and smaller more dedicated sites are usually better. but then youve gotta get over the ball-clinging which -- i guess -- big-name magazines/sites arent immune to either

Back