Sports Performance Selection Processes???

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Pro Killer, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Pro Killer

Pro Killer Black Belt

Just been reading Practical Programming by Rip and in it he talks about the Eastern Bloc Countries having these things which sound really cool to me, And I was wondering if anybody had any information on them.

To Quote "Communist-Bloc countries had (and still have) large-scale sports performance selection processes intended to direct young athletes into the most appropriate sports, based on specific selection criteria. Once there atheletes stay and achieve in the program or fail to achieve and are sent home"

Again Like I said this sounds like a really cool idea to me, I was just wondering if anyone had anymore information about it, like what the selection criteria is:
    Body Types??
    Strength??
    Speed??
    Power??
    Co-ordination??
    Etc..........................

The book also talks about how in the USA (and Im guessing most of the rest of the western world) people play sports to get into shape, Whereas in the Communist Bloc Countries (Russia etc...) People actually get into shape first I.E. Do Strength and Conditioning before choosing the most appropriate sport.

I just think it's an interesting read, Like when talking about the first thing I pointed out, in the US they have HS and College sports but again there it is the person choosing which sport to do and not necessarily being drafted into the one in which they might best be suited too!!