***sports lore and legendary stories***

Gaylord "focker" Perry (a pitcher) was asked if he could ever hit a home run he said they'd put a man on the moon before he hit one. The day after Neil Armstrong was on the moon focker hit a home run.

That's crazy if true. Source for it?

How in the balls did I forget Dock Ellis

That is that GOAT, and it is not close

The LSD no-no might be the most impressive single game performance of all time in any sport...

That was one of those once in a decade type plays.

I've always loved the story of Charles Haley getting KTFO'd by Randy White with just one punch. The Manster is one of the baddest mofo's in NFL history imo...

From Randy White's wiki page
Sportswriter Jeff Pearlman wrote in his best-selling 2009 book Boys Will Be Boys that there was an incident at White's sports bar in Dallas, when a belligerent Charles Haley rode into the establishment on his motorcycle. Although White had been retired for many years, according to the account in the book, White knocked out Haley with a single punch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_White_(American_football)

The story from Boys Will Be Boys is pretty good, but I can't seem to find it atm. Lots of good stuff from that book, including many accounts of just how crazy Charles Haley was. Dude would be butt naked and jacking off during team meetings and shit...

Todd Marinovich played some games at QB on LSD for the Raiders (cause it was a rare drug that couldn't be tested for) but never actually had a great game. Although tbf even having a bad game as a QB on LSD tripping balls is still pretty impressive lol

That shit (Ellis) should have a movie made about it imo. It could be hilarious, inspirational, and educational all at the same time.

Last edited:
I have to imagine that outside of literal warfare there's no worse possible setting for an acid trip than playing QB in the NFL. All the sounds echoing throughout the stadium and all the monsters coming at you from every angle... lmao that would be horrifying

I personally think so

The wiki quote is the best lol.

"I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the [catcher's] glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters, and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes, I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."

Richard Nixon as the home plate umpire is jordangif worthy

Best story in the history of sports

I have to imagine that outside of literal warfare there's no worse possible setting for an acid trip than playing QB in the NFL. All the sounds echoing throughout the stadium and all the monsters coming at you from every angle... lmao that would be horrifying

Lol right? Plus the vibe of the stadium is so much different, everybody is in pain and trying to act tough, several people trying to inflict serious pain on you. Fuckin stand in the pocket, lost in thought, while somebody comes to eat you alive

Fuck dat shit yo

Ntm just having to call plays in the huddle would be a challenge. Once the QB gets in the huddle tripping balls and starts spewing gibberish, I would imagine the rest of the team would be like "wtf is he saying?"...

It would be like in Knocked Up when Seth Rogen was tripping out on 'shrooms in Vegas.

Carmello Anthony's "War is bad it makes me sad" story is pretty funny.

Also, though it has yet to be independently confirmed, I heard Carona once threw a pass 50 yards off his back foot. Truly amazing to think about.

Last edited:
Back