News Sports cards collecting rising in popularity, Mike Trout signed rookie goes for $922k, Box Breaks

my brother had a shit ton of skybox cards growing up. i wonder... haha

I remember sending my comic books to be graded and some one stole them in transit :( I was stupid because I forgot to insure them some postal worker saw that and saw I was sending them to be graded and jacked them I bet

I was sending the first appearance of Venom, Iron Fist 1 to 7, Spawn 1, first appearance of Deadpool, and several other comics that I was able to get in some random box I bought off Ebay

some lady who knew jack about Comic and cards bought out some storage unit when the owner didnt pay and was selling random boxes of comics and cards from the unit for 50 bucks I got a grip of good condition comics with backing boards.

Damn. You lost some valuable comics there, bro. Especially those featuring the first appearances of Venom & Deadpool. What happened to you is exactly why I've never sent any of my comics in to be graded. And I've got a lot of good books that would be worth a lot more graded but I keep them raw because I don't want to risk having them lost, stolen or damaged in transit.

Not to mention the cost to submit them for grading is just too high. What is it, about $30 per book these days? Nah, no thanks. Plus the waiting time to get your book graded, slabbed & sent back to you is crazy too.

Damn. You lost some valuable comics there, bro. Especially those featuring the first appearances of Venom & Deadpool. What happened to you is exactly why I've never sent any of my comics in to be graded. And I've got a lot of good books that would be worth a lot more graded but I keep them raw because I don't want to risk having them lost, stolen or damaged in transit.

Not to mention the cost to submit them for grading is just too high. What is it, about $30 per book these days? Nah, no thanks. Plus the waiting time to get your book graded, slabbed & sent back to you is crazy too.
Yeah brother

its scary, even just mentioning it gutted me. I couldn't eat for days, and then if I thought about my comics agian Id get sad

They straight up jacked me, some crook working in the post office found out my shit wasn't insured and they saw I was sending it to get graded so they knew, and it was lost in transit.

I feel sick just thinking about it. I still have a lot of comic books too, the other time my teacher stole them from us in junior high. I was sent to dentition for trading Marvel Master pieces cards and comics in back of class and she sent us to detention after class and took our comics, I had Cable number 1, a couple Punisher comics, a stack of What Ifs, Carnage, venom, Wolverine, so many and she NEVER returned them to us, she got busted having an affaird with the science teacher and got a transfer and never gave our comics back. We came back from Christmas break and she was gone we had a new English teacher.

Yeah brother

its scary, even just mentioning it gutted me. I couldn't eat for days, and then if I thought about my comics agian Id get sad

They straight up jacked me, some crook working in the post office found out my shit wasn't insured and they saw I was sending it to get graded so they knew, and it was lost in transit.

I feel sick just thinking about it. I still have a lot of comic books too, the other time my teacher stole them from us in junior high. I was sent to dentition for trading Marvel Master pieces cards and comics in back of class and she sent us to detention after class and took our comics, I had Cable number 1, a couple Punisher comics, a stack of What Ifs, Carnage, venom, Wolverine, so many and she NEVER returned them to us, she got busted having an affaird with the science teacher and got a transfer and never gave our comics back. We came back from Christmas break and she was gone we had a new English teacher.

Damn, you've had some bad luck with your comics, bro. But, then, so have I.

The collection I have now is actually my second one because I sold the one that I began at ten years old when I was heading into college. I was eighteen & thought I'd outgrown them for good so I sold all 5000 of them so I could get a new car. And I made enough to do so because I had complete or near-complete runs of Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four, X-men, you name it if it was Marvel from the '60s - '70s & early '80s, I had it for the most part.

I always regretted selling that collection though so I started collecting again in the 2000s & I put together a pretty nice collection of about 2500 books. But then, while I was between jobs, I ran into some legal trouble in 2015 that I was completely cleared of in the end but I had to pay for an attorney. And the only way that I could do that was to sell off my three long boxes of Amazing Spider-man comics. I'd managed to rebuild much of my collection of that title & I had no choice but to sell it in order to stay out of jail. Which was worth it but damn if it doesn't still sting when I think of it.

So, yeah, I've had some bad luck with my comic collection too. But I've still got about 2000 left all bagged & boarded sitting in boxes. I don't collect single issues anymore but I still buy the occasional trade paperback.

I paid $200 for it. But I'm going to sit on it for a while.
How do you store them brother? I ruined one of my cards from 92, I had a shaq rookie with foil and the foil came off because the screw in case I used was moist inside and it destroyed my card :(

How do you store them brother? I ruined one of my cards from 92, I had a shaq rookie with foil and the foil came off because the screw in case I used was moist inside and it destroyed my card :(

Penny sleeve and a top loader or a one touch is the way to go. Screw downs can often damage cards although the one screw screw downs that are recessed seem to be alright.

Damn, you've had some bad luck with your comics, bro. But, then, so have I.

The collection I have now is actually my second one because I sold the one that I began at ten years old when I was heading into college. I was eighteen & thought I'd outgrown them for good so I sold all 5000 of them so I could get a new car. And I made enough to do so because I had complete or near-complete runs of Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four, X-men, you name it if it was Marvel from the '60s - '70s & early '80s, I had it for the most part.

I always regretted selling that collection though so I started collecting again in the 2000s & I put together a pretty nice collection of about 2500 books. But then, while I was between jobs, I ran into some legal trouble in 2015 that I was completely cleared of in the end but I had to pay for an attorney. And the only way that I could do that was to sell off my three long boxes of Amazing Spider-man comics. I'd managed to rebuild much of my collection of that title & I had no choice but to sell it in order to stay out of jail. Which was worth it but damn if it doesn't still sting when I think of it.

So, yeah, I've had some bad luck with my comic collection too. But I've still got about 2000 left all bagged & boarded sitting in boxes. I don't collect single issues anymore but I still buy the occasional trade paperback.
The good thing is at least you were able to use them for useful things and sell some, so there is at least a positive there

Man I would NEVER read my comics lol, I remember collecting them and putting them immediately in a sleeve and backing board and I would just stare at them when I was a kid.

I would show off my collection to my friends fun times man

Do you remember Wizard magazine? its a shame the owner went under invested in that IFL mma fight league. I used to love looking up my comic prices when they had the price guide in the back.

I love watching this videos on youtube

Why do you say that man? You don't have to insult someones hobby, they got the money and its fun and stimulates the economy.

Agreed. I used to make fun of all the frickin' nerds who would collect comic books and go to the comic book shop and drool over a $500 toy.......errr collector's statue. But I collected baseball cards as a kid. It was fun to go to the shows and try to get the whole set. Fun to open the pack and see who you'd get.

Over time hobbies change and kids don't seem to be as much into sports and trading cards, unless it's stuff like Pokemon or things like that. So the people who collected cards in their youth still enjoy the hobby and the community aspect of card collecting.

Penny sleeve and a top loader or a one touch is the way to go. Screw downs can often damage cards although the one screw screw downs that are recessed seem to be alright.
I wish I knew that about the screw downs

Also be careful of how you store them in note book sleeve pages, I bent my cards because I closed the notebook and stacked them and they curved near the rings.
ky-nddQaT4AD684lsP9gchZDCNIUM-46wVtII5QNDkejAEoP8IGoLIAlLdVkDNh3GwOPGNlOPdEhRKSZQXRWVWfAmbo

Are these good top loaders I have a couple packs of these unused still
s-l400.jpg

Agreed. I used to make fun of all the frickin' nerds who would collect comic books and go to the comic book shop and drool over a $500 toy.......errr collector's statue. But I collected baseball cards as a kid. It was fun to go to the shows and try to get the whole set. Fun to open the pack and see who you'd get.

Over time hobbies change and kids don't seem to be as much into sports and trading cards, unless it's stuff like Pokemon or things like that. So the people who collected cards in their youth still enjoy the hobby and the community aspect of card collecting.
I miss going to comic and card shops as a teen. Nothing beats it man, this generation will never know how awesome that was. Thats one of the things I miss as a kid going into the comic and sports cards seeing all those fresh packs and buying a couple and breaking them open.

What were you favorite packs to get when you were younger? I used to love those topps wax packs with the bubble gum lol, then a few years later I started getting the Upper deck cards.

I miss going to comic and card shops as a teen. Nothing beats it man, this generation will never know how awesome that was. Thats one of the things I miss as a kid going into the comic and sports cards seeing all those fresh packs and buying a couple and breaking them open.

What were you favorite packs to get when you were younger? I used to love those topps wax packs with the bubble gum lol, then a few years later I started getting the Upper deck cards.

The first cards I loved were Pro set football cards because they used action shots for the photograps and were made on glossy cardboard.

Topps used lots of headshots and lower quality cardboard.

Images are not from the same year but is typical of the design topps used vs Pro set late 80s.

181646.jpg

Dan_Marino_Card.JPG

Topps

51WtpLbWRCL._AC_SY445_.jpg

5123IoyI8vL._AC_SX425_.jpg

1989-Topps-Football-Bo-Jackson-Back.jpg

The good thing is at least you were able to use them for useful things and sell some, so there is at least a positive there

Man I would NEVER read my comics lol, I remember collecting them and putting them immediately in a sleeve and backing board and I would just stare at them when I was a kid.

I would show off my collection to my friends fun times man

Do you remember Wizard magazine? its a shame the owner went under invested in that IFL mma fight league. I used to love looking up my comic prices when they had the price guide in the back.

I love watching this videos on youtube

Oh, yeah. Wizard was cool. I used to buy it religiously along with the Comic Buyer's Guide every month. In fact, I had a couple of boxes full of issues of both that I left behind when I moved. I thought about keeping them but I couldn't justify the space that they would take up. I don't know if my daughter kept them or if she just tossed them out.

Another thing I got into as a kid was monster magazines. I've got a decent-sized collection of those too. Most of them vintage from the '60s & '70s. Plus, I've got a complete run of Fangoria magazine as well.

I've always been a collector. That's why my wife told me that she was going to leave me & all my stuff back in Buffalo if I didn't cut my collections in half before we moved to AZ. LOL. So, I pared it down quite a bit by selling off about half of my boxing memorabilia, some of my action figures & a ton of my paperback books which did the trick. Some of the stuff was hard to part with but in the end, I'm glad I did so. Now my various collections are lean & mean.

For sure!! I was a Topps guy with the bubble gum....heh. I remember how awesome the Upper Deck ones looked but if I remember correctly they were more expensive or you got less cards or something. I had a few Donruss and Fleer (not sure if I'm spelling right ;) ) but man that was a long time ago. I was so proud one year, I got the entire set of Topps for that year. I'd open all the wax packs and ended up with so many duplicates. But then you could go to the card shops and trade your duplicate "commons" for other commons that you were missing. I still have a set somewhere....might be 1988 or 1989 I think..heh.

I got a little into basketball cards but not as much.

Back