News Sports cards collecting rising in popularity, Mike Trout signed rookie goes for $922k, Box Breaks

Grading isn't a necessity. Hell, I sold a redemption for a Panini Contenders Ezekiel Elliot rookie auto the day after I pulled it for $700. I only buy and sell singles, 99 percent of them ungraded. I used to buy unopened wax but the shit is way too expensive now. I let someone else take the hit and buy their pulls.
Do you sell them on Ebay?

I've got a mate who started selling Pokemon cards on ebay basically for a bit of a joke.

It worked out well. It's been a couple of months and now he's branched out to Yu-Gi-Oh and some other franchises and is making enough money to quit his day job, which is already really well paying.

The Sports card market is worth more and more profitable than comic books, I collected comic books, I have Spawn number 1 and its worth less now than it was back in the late 90s. I also have the first 7 issues of Iron fist
Jordan inserts are one of the few cards from the 90s that sell for a lot now. Many of them over $100 each.. not even graded. That Mark Jackson card sells for about $15 on eBay. To think I probably had 30 those when I was a kid a probably threw them in the trash.

Kobe's shit is super expensive now.
I will look at my old sports cards tomorrow lol, I think I got some of those Mark Jackson as well in duplicate like 7 of them.

It's insane how much they went up after he died. If you had even a few Topps chrome RC's of his you'd be sitting on a pile of cash.

Even non graded ones are going for about $1000 each.
I have zero Kobe Cards, I stopped collecting cards around the time he was Drafted. I have so many Shaq cards, I also have a couple of those Jordan with the number 45 jersey cards.
I had some special Shaq card it as a long card with foil but it was ruined in the plastic case I used the foil came off

I've got a mate who started selling Pokemon cards on ebay basically for a bit of a joke.

It worked out well. It's been a couple of months and now he's branched out to Yu-Gi-Oh and some other franchises and is making enough money to quit his day job, which is already really well paying.
yeah thats how it starts, a lot of those cards can make you money, you gotta find the right niche and get a high seller rating because the market gets saturated on Ebay people only buy from high seller rating stores.

If you had a Pikachu card from 98 that card sold for like 250k, and if someone wants to sell it again it could go for even higher.

it isn't worth it to get a card worth 20 bucks graded even a regular toploader will cost you like 5 dollars and eat into your profits.
I remember sending my comic books to be graded and some one stole them in transit :( I was stupid because I forgot to insure them some postal worker saw that and saw I was sending them to be graded and jacked them I bet

I was sending the first appearance of Venom, Iron Fist 1 to 7, Spawn 1, first appearance of Deadpool, and several other comics that I was able to get in some random box I bought off Ebay

some lady who knew jack about Comic and cards bought out some storage unit when the owner didnt pay and was selling random boxes of comics and cards from the unit for 50 bucks I got a grip of good condition comics with backing boards.

it is very hard to sell cards I have a bunch of autographed game used cards worth barely 20 bucks.

No it’s really not, your cards are probably all of scrubs which is why you can’t sell them. You literally can’t touch a Mike Trout auto for under $300, on the flip side nobody wants a rookie auto of Francisco Arcia.

Last edited:
You have to get them Graded and cased I believe.

No you don’t as grading companies are shady as hell and don’t know what they’re doing half the time any way. He just has shitty cards.

I have that card too but the entire card has white staining all over it.
Good grief man, after three white stain mentions itt you'd do better listing the possessions you have that don't have white stains.

It most certainly does not stimulate the economy. I think you might be joking but if not, please never talk about economics again. Cards are meant for children to enjoy and become enthusiasts of the sport by admiring players based on the cards they have. It's so gross that these imps have made this into something so foul.

How is buying a $4,000 case of baseball cards not stimulating the economy?

Also that’s an odd take you have for a Trekkie.

No you don’t as grading companies are shady as hell and don’t know what they’re doing half the time any way. He just has shitty cards.

Do you sell cards on Ebay? I have a lot of old ass Baseball and basketball cards, I never bothered listing them because I always thought the only cards that sold were the graded ones with certs.

And yeah those grading companies are shady, a good 9 or 10 years ago I contacted CGC about sending come of my classic comicbooks in and talked to one of the guys there and he told me if a I send in a comic and its in top condition and graded and worth over 100k they will require a fee percentage if I sell the comic after they graded it, shady shit.

Do you sell cards on Ebay? I have a lot of old ass Baseball and basketball cards, I never bothered listing them because I always thought the only cards that sold were the graded ones with certs.

And yeah those grading companies are shady, a good 9 or 10 years ago I contacted CGC about sending come of my classic comicbooks in and talked to one of the guys there and he told me if a I send in a comic and its in top condition and graded and worth over 100k they will require a fee percentage if I sell the comic after they graded it, shady shit.

I do but not nearly as much anymore due to their absurd fees they take out not to mention they offer sellers little to no protection. Yes grading cards does command a premium in a lot of cases but it’s quite the lengthy and convoluted discussion. Modern cards are really only going to command a significant premium if they’re graded a PSA 10 or a BGS 9.5, 10, or 10 Black Label (see how silly and confusing this is getting already).

I do but not nearly as much anymore due to their absurd fees they take out not to mention they offer sellers little to no protection. Yes grading cards does command a premium in a lot of cases but it’s quite the lengthy and convoluted discussion. Modern cards are really only going to command a significant premium if they’re graded a PSA 10 or a BGS 9.5, 10, or 10 Black Label (see how silly and confusing this is getting already).

Yeah those people gotta eat, so I guess that is why they charge fees and percentages after grading the cards and comics. I dont even know what to do anymore I got so many old ass cards I put them in those plastic sleeves too.

I was thinking of buying those random sport card lots with unopened packs on Ebay, are they worth it or are they a scam? like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Football-W...=2027921468165856262bbebf45848445895c4d2f9c19

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-Lot-o...BBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Sport-...614000?hash=item2d07562370:g:NUAAAOSwl4xee8Vz

I would say 95% of baseball cards are already worthless I have been trying to sell my collection for years and it is a slow process on ebay the market is saturated and people barely buy them. I have cards worth like 10 cents that I don't bother listing because they are worth so little I will make money on shipping if I charge 2 extra bucks to give you an idea of how little they are worth.

Exact same thing with comics. Really disappointing. I have a ton of first issues, decades old. Not worth shit because of the over saturation, plus you need to pay to get them officially graded, which kills any profit.

Yeah those people gotta eat, so I guess that is why they charge fees and percentages after grading the cards and comics. I dont even know what to do anymore I got so many old ass cards I put them in those plastic sleeves too.

I was thinking of buying those random sport card lots with unopened packs on Ebay, are they worth it or are they a scam? like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Football-Wholesale-Lot-Autograph-Game-Used-Jersey-Relic-Auto-GU-Insert-Hot-Pack/202792146816?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item2f375a9780:g:G~MAAOSwbI9d~9Vg&enc=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&checksum=2027921468165856262bbebf45848445895c4d2f9c19

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-Lot-of-100-Unopened-Old-Vintage-Baseball-Cards-in-Wax-Cello-Rack-Packs/161076389749?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=f26f70a6dcbc423e872e09d6d48eb4a9&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=223980053223&itm=161076389749&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Sport-...614000?hash=item2d07562370:g:NUAAAOSwl4xee8Vz

Haha oh I was talking about eBay with the fees, of course PSA, BGS, etc. are going to charge for their “service”.

Stay far away from “hot packs” my friend. They are one of the biggest scams out there in the sports card hobby.

Last edited:
The problem with cards is even one out of the pack could not get a mint grade if something like the borders are not perfectly symetric. Then you have to pay to get them graded, once a card gets a good grade then it may be worth something.

Grading in itself has become an issue within collecting. Look no further than the PWCC/PSA grading scandal that has the potential to detonate the entire industry.

And then you have smaller scandals and issues such as forgeries of signatures (Panini) and the classification of "used" or "game worn" items inserted into cards (Upper Deck.)

You post on blowout right? I think you referred to that before.

Back