News Sports cards collecting rising in popularity, Mike Trout signed rookie goes for $922k, Box Breaks

The mecca for a 7 year old me and my buddies was the KG Jr. Upper Deck rookie card.....sadly I never got my hands on one. Do you remember the Bowman cards from that era that were about an inch taller than Topps, Donruss, Fleer, etc.? Those were the bain of my exsistance! It was impossible to find plastic card pages or cases for them, it was beyond frustrating. My prized cards were a Barry Bonds Topps rookie card, a Mark Mcguire Team USA rookie cardView attachment 770913 and a signed Andre Dawson rookie card. I still have them tucked in one of my storages somewhere. Gotta go dig them out.

Too long ago for me to remember many specifics. Ken was a few years into his career already when I started collecting. Fairly sure of that. I switched from topps to upper deck at some point I think. A year or two of interest and that upper deck MJ one is the only one I have left. I dont remember what I did with the rest. Collected both hockey and baseball.

Because they are for kids and adults are ruining the kids fun.
You're right in the regard that it's too expensive for kids.. for the most part. The kids I see collecting these days are only doing so because their dad is. They take them to the card store or shows and buy a lot of shit for them. It's good in one respect because the adults are passing down the hobby. The bad side is they have to rely quite a bit on their parents to build a collection worth anything.

I’ve been trying to find my Kobe rookie cards, the Mark Jackson hoops card with the Menendez brothers in it....and my 93-94 Topps Finest Michael Jordan card which I believe might be a refractor...but cards were so dead in the water over the last 20 years that I didn’t keep my collection tidy and all of my cards are scattered in boxes.
Jordan inserts are one of the few cards from the 90s that sell for a lot now. Many of them over $100 each.. not even graded. That Mark Jackson card sells for about $15 on eBay. To think I probably had 30 those when I was a kid a probably threw them in the trash.

Kobe's shit is super expensive now.

Yeah, I was expecting something with reasoning and a bit more depth lol.

I said explain how it hurts anyone, as in how adults also collecting them would ruin a kid's enjoyment of them also.

LOL. Yeah.. I was reading this thread from the beginning and was also anticipating a well thought out explanation.

The mecca for a 7 year old me and my buddies was the KG Jr. Upper Deck rookie card.....sadly I never got my hands on one. Do you remember the Bowman cards from that era that were about an inch taller than Topps, Donruss, Fleer, etc.? Those were the bain of my exsistance! It was impossible to find plastic card pages or cases for them, it was beyond frustrating. My prized cards were a Barry Bonds Topps rookie card, a Mark Mcguire Team USA rookie cardView attachment 770913 and a signed Andre Dawson rookie card. I still have them tucked in one of my storages somewhere. Gotta go dig them out.
I never did get that Griffey. There was talk it was always in a certain location in fresh boxes.

Not true. My kid has me spending 100-200 month right now buying him packs. Football and basketball. No baseball yet.

@TeTe makes good money on this.
Not having sports right now is killing me. Especially baseball. I should be in the process of offloading a lot of my baseball stuff but noooooooo stupid virus.

it is very hard to sell cards I have a bunch of autographed game used cards worth barely 20 bucks.
I have some Bowman Chrome autographs of guys who probably washed out of big leagues super fast. The best insert I have is maybe Hank Aaron bat chip card.

I could have made thousands if I had collected kobe cards like I originally planned in maybe 1997 or so. I have a cousin who probably has a few thousands worth of kobe cards now. I would feel weird profiting off his death though.
It's insane how much they went up after he died. If you had even a few Topps chrome RC's of his you'd be sitting on a pile of cash.

Even non graded ones are going for about $1000 each.

I miss the days as a child when I thought you could just buy packs of cards and then sell them later on individually for a huge profit. It was a lot of fun when you didn't know how the world worked.

It's insane how much they went up after he died. If you had even a few Topps chrome RC's of his you'd be sitting on a pile of cash.

Even non graded ones are going for about $1000 each.
I have a lot of non graded sports cards. but man seeing the grading process you have to have these suckers near perfect to even make any type of big money.

I have almost half of these Shaq rookies, I used to buy all types of basketball cards in elementary school, Shaq was my favorite player.

https://www.oldsportscards.com/shaq-rookie-card/

I have multiple of those.

or I did. Need to look around shits probubaly been stolen.

I had 3 of these Ken Griffey Rookie cards from Topps, I bought them as a kid the wax packs :( I never took care of them most of them had fluffy edges I was just a kid, if I knew they would be worth something I wouldn't have mishandled them like that. I used to use them as bookmarks too and count them every day after school with my friends.

This one has two errors on it and cost 11 grand.
s-l640.jpg

the have been pretty worthless from like 2004 until now the cards from the 80's 90's are barely worth 10 to 25 cents because they are over produced I have a shit load of crazy cards and I can barely sell them on ebay for minimal profit. if a card does have some supposed value you have to maintain it in pristine condition and get it graded which is expensive and you might ended up losing money if it doesn't sell which happens.
Its crazy how Those old cards are not worth much, but these new ones from the last 5 years with the fancy style and game worn jersey and signatures are worth a lot.

You have to get them Graded and cased I believe.
it isn't worth it to get a card worth 20 bucks graded even a regular toploader will cost you like 5 dollars and eat into your profits.

Damn didn’t take long for the Ripken card to disappear.

Card collecting became popular from the World War II generation, and then baby boomers saw value in it and made it worth something.

Baseball has lost a lot of popularity since the 90's, and generations from 2000 on have been less invested in it.

Generation Z has already started phasing it out. You never hear anyone young talk about spending money on cards anymore.
By the time Generation A-2 arrives, all of these cards will be completely worthless.

The comic book market is actually more profitable than the baseball card collecting market.
Only 90s comics. Its been inflated since marvel sold out to disney

I’ve been trying to find my Kobe rookie cards, the Mark Jackson hoops card with the Menendez brothers in it....and my 93-94 Topps Finest Michael Jordan card which I believe might be a refractor...but cards were so dead in the water over the last 20 years that I didn’t keep my collection tidy and all of my cards are scattered in boxes.
Nows a good time to go check your cards out and sort them since the quarantine gives people time. Order some protective sleeves too

I remember that Mark Jackson hoops card, its funny the only reason that card is worth something is the fact that those killer menendez bros are in the background. I still remember when that story came out it sent chills down my spine how they could kill their parents like that disturbing to have two Psychopath sons.

Card collecting became popular from the World War II generation, and then baby boomers saw value in it and made it worth something.

Baseball has lost a lot of popularity since the 90's, and generations from 2000 on have been less invested in it.

Generation Z has already started phasing it out. You never hear anyone young talk about spending money on cards anymore.
By the time Generation A-2 arrives, all of these cards will be completely worthless.

The comic book market is actually more profitable than the baseball card collecting market.
I would say 95% of baseball cards are already worthless I have been trying to sell my collection for years and it is a slow process on ebay the market is saturated and people barely buy them. I have cards worth like 10 cents that I don't bother listing because they are worth so little I will make money on shipping if I charge 2 extra bucks to give you an idea of how little they are worth.

Back