News Sports Business Journal reports 675K buys for UFC 254

For all the McCocksuckers claiming Conor at 2PM would have easily done a million buys, I'm hoping you realize UFC 246 had about a million buys. . . With a 10PM start time.

Reactions: JAL
Lmfao khabib exposed. Megastar my ass. B..b..but TV deals.

{<jordan}

This is hilarious. Dana white looks like a fool right now. Those numbers are abysmal.

It might be low because of weird Airtime but nowhere that kind of low. The final number will be north of a mill.

How often have they done this "start in early afternoon" thing before? It'd be interesting if someone crunched the numbers and actually quantified how much of a hit is involved in starting fights in the afternoon ("hit" in terms of reduced PPV buys anyway)... 30% cut to PPV? 50%? 70%?

Of course there is a trade-off between US-based PPV buys and global exposure and they went on the side of global exposure on this one. Unless anyone here can quantify both the "hit to PPV" and the quantification of what increased global exposure results in, then we are all guessing as to whether or not it is "worth it"

Where are the vast majority of the PPV buys coming from? Probably somewhere in North America yea?

The event literally started at a time when most people in North America would go to work/still be at work so it's kind of clear that a large chunk of the fanbase would miss buying said event, which is unfortunate.

Me? I was one of the lucky ones because I had a chance to watch it through mobile from PPV. The others that had to work during the time when the PPV aired? Not so much.

A double whammy for Dana and the UFC staff since one of them was from Khabib retiring so no more Arab pandering.

ppv buys are in the us and maybe a few other countries, worldwide is mostly television deals.

B-But Dana White said it was trending to be the biggest event in UFC history?
It seems he says that every other big card, numbers never come, and if they do, its already past the hype lol.

The time didnt help one bit, too early imo.

You’re telling me that Izzy/Costa had better numbers than the number one golden boy Habeeb? Dana must be punching holes in walls right now if those numbers are accurate. I wonder if changing the start time is the cause for this. I had to get up at 2am to watch it where I was in the world.
Starting time in the US (PPV market) was too early for most of the country, that had to hurt PPV sales.

Starting time in the US (PPV market) was too early for most of the country, that had to hurt PPV sales.
advertisers and UAE probably paid more to have the fight on their time. That's the only reason why dana did it. They offset the costs of losing PPV sales. I'm willing to bet the profit from ufc254 was more than ufc 251, the card that sold 1m views. Based on advertisers, Arab money, and TV contract deals.

Bittersweet khabib retiring, his next fight would have been massive in the states.

Last edited:
I’m sure the Arabs paid enough money to have it on prime time.

But LoooooooL! Neck and neck with soccer!

"2 million buys"

giphy.gif

Dammit Dana has some of the best facial expressions.

I thought Khabib was a draw? I guess nobody cared enough to check the location or factor in time.

Nearly 700k buys is pretty good.

Russians, Germans and Brits don't have to buy PPVs afaik. They can subscribe to a sports subscription service and get the event (DAZN, BT, but not sure if BT is still around? Maybe some brit can comment). In some countries UFC also has a TV deal. I'm sure that's the case with most of the international crowd.
Nobody outside of America buys PPV, we are not retarded enough.

This! Because of the starting time in Europe it for sure had the most views overall of all UFC events this year when you add up the numbers of the different tv, streaming services.

DAZN bless! 12 quid a month incl every UFC event - not to mention all the other sports.

Back