Sports Bars and Streaming Apps like ESPN+

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by chrisdiaz, Jan 3, 2019.

1. chrisdiaz

chrisdiaz Brown Belt

With the UFC moving to ESPN+, it has me thinking alot about the future of sports and sports bars.

The best example I can provide is the Las Vegas Knights moving alot of their games to ESPN+. This means all around the strip, where games used to be shown, only sports center or highlights will be shown now. No sports bars or regular bars have smart TVs or rokus and if they do, arent going to be jumping from app to app to watch games.

This is a terrible oversight on ESPN and sports viewership in general. One of the best things about watching sports is going out and watching in a group. I understand it doesnt effect big sports like football YET, but it could very quickly. I dont see bars easily adapting to this new streaming format....

TLDR: Sports apps like ESPN and DAZN will kill sports bars.

What do you think sherbros?

Track Jipper and sweetviolenturg like this.
  2. HaulParris

HaulParris Gold Belt

Good point. I think in time, though, bars will adapt to the new technology - maybe having one smart TV per establishment to start with, but it will take time.

3. Corona

Corona GOAT white guy

Reddit streams FTW.

4. sweetviolenturg

sweetviolenturg Blue Belt

Valid concerns to have. If I were in your shoes I'd be worried about it too.
    It doesn't affect me because I always stay home to watch the fights but hopefully, for guys like you & your friends the bars will adapt to the new tech quickly. Until then, though you might have to stay in for all the ESPN + cards & then go out for those on ESPN & PPVs.

chrisdiaz likes this.
  5. chrisdiaz

chrisdiaz Brown Belt

Its not just the fights Im worried about. Look at the hockey example. Imagine if some of the college bowl games were behind that paywall? Smaller cities and states like alabama would be pissed. Thats their only time for national broadcasting and coverage.

sweetviolenturg likes this.
  6. sweetviolenturg

sweetviolenturg Blue Belt

True, but I can't imagine college football going behind a paywall any time in the near future. They provide way too much ad revenue for the broadcast & cable networks. But, I understand your concerns.

7. Pliny Pete

Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

The only time Alabama has national coverage is during bowl season?

Fagiolini likes this.
  8. GSP_37

GSP_37 Steel Belt

I'm guessing sports bars would have to pay expensive fees to show live events via streaming. I don't think it's as simple as buying a Lightning to HDMI cable for iPhone.

Mga223 likes this.
  9. Mga223

Mga223 Steel Belt

I wonder if they can just get like 5 subscriptions to put on 5 tvs?