Sport Sambo cross training

Nickthai247

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi am new to this forum. Just looking for some advice on cross training / supplementing sport sambo. I've started sambo and wanting to compete. Problems is the gym I train at only train Sambo once a week.

Any advice on what to do for the rest of the week? Cheers

Just once a week? Well, judo is the closest thing to sambo and easy to find.

Judo is good, wrestling would be as well if you have access to it I would think.

Judo or even wrestling would probably be closest. BJJ would be okay, but most of the important positions in BJJ don't really occur or are unimportant in sport sambo.

Specificity would be Judo. If you did BJJ you would need to make an effort to focus your rolling on positions that will actually occur in sambo, like rolling to turtle more often in newaza, focusing on only going for armbars when you get back control, etc. It would take a great deal more discipline.

Hi thanks for the replys lads. I'll look into judo and wrestling clubs in my area. Just a thought would a striking art be good like mt or boxing to help me with the stand up side of sambo or would it be worth just sticking to grappling arts?

Ps. I've done mt in the past but it was a few years ago.
Cheers lads

If the goal is sport sambo competitive success, there's no point striking. That's time you could just be doing general conditioning. If you want to do combat sambo that's obviously another deal. Where are you geographically?

If you're in the UK (and I'm assuming you are since you're saying 'cheers lads' etc) then I'd advise not to do the sambo here because it's total shit.

I looked into it and it's total McDojo stuff, a few of my coaches have been against them in competitions and apparently they get obliterated by the judo guys. If you're in Eastern Europe then fair enough, but if you're in the UK I'd just find a decent judo club and you'll improve a lot faster.

I have no idea where Congleton is in UK, but there is a Bulgarian guy, named Georgi Georgiev, who placed 3rd in judo at Athens Olympics and is multiple sambo champ. He has a judo/ sambo/ MMA academy in Congleton.

If you're in the UK (and I'm assuming you are since you're saying 'cheers lads' etc) then I'd advise not to do the sambo here because it's total shit.

I looked into it and it's total McDojo stuff, a few of my coaches have been against them in competitions and apparently they get obliterated by the judo guys. If you're in Eastern Europe then fair enough, but if you're in the UK I'd just find a decent judo club and you'll improve a lot faster.

Along with the 1x a week, this is probably the truth of the matter.
TS should get himself to a proper Judo dojo and I dunno, just refuse to wear pants or something. Boom, training sambo.

Yeah am from the uk. The gym that teaches sambo seems to be legit they've have a lad from there gym representing the uk over in russia so can't see the gym as a mcdojo gym.

When you say the judo guys were beating the britishi sambo guys what kind of competition was it? Was it judo? Sambo? Mma? Grappling?

Is it britishsombo.co.uk or combatsombo.co.uk or something different?

Judo before most of the shitty rule changes, so effectively what sambo is now but without leg locks and different scoring.

I saw an add in blackbelt magazine for "combat hapkido", looked super legit, thats what I would do...

Yeah am from the uk. The gym that teaches sambo seems to be legit they've have a lad from there gym representing the uk over in russia so can't see the gym as a mcdojo gym.

When you say the judo guys were beating the britishi sambo guys what kind of competition was it? Was it judo? Sambo? Mma? Grappling?

What is the gym?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back