Sport Jujitsu

Cahill is a highly respected judo teacher. Don't know about their JJ, but the judo instruction is legit. You'd have to struggle to do better.

it is point fighting thou, with no head punches

as soon as there is a grip you cannot strike anymore

very peculiar rules to, a Ippon throw by judo standards doesn't win you the "fight/match nor does a pin/submission. if you have an Ippon in each part, standing, throwing, ground then you get your win by Ippon

a good judoka can't enter and rack up the points throwing them all over he place either, he will get warned because he avoids the striking
It does sound odd but I would hope that it can actually improve your striking game since they do actually strike in class...maybe not though who knows....

It does sound odd but I would hope that it can actually improve your striking game since they do actually strike in class...maybe not though who knows....

Hum, he is talking about how they do things in his country.

One should just not generalise on how people train or compete in JJJ around the world.

it is point fighting thou, with no head punches

as soon as there is a grip you cannot strike anymore

very peculiar rules to, a Ippon throw by judo standards doesn't win you the "fight/match nor does a pin/submission. if you have an Ippon in each part, standing, throwing, ground then you get your win by Ippon

a good judoka can't enter and rack up the points throwing them all over he place either, he will get warned because he avoids the striking

Aww man, are those really the rules? I have been doing some Muay Thai lately, and the coach had suggested that I enter a sport jujitsu tournament. All we knew is that it's karate-style striking and there's takedowns and 30 seconds of ground work (with no chokes). I wanted to test myself in that setting so I my gameplan was basically just get everyone to the ground and submit them, but if those are the rules screw it.

Aww man, are those really the rules? I have been doing some Muay Thai lately, and the coach had suggested that I enter a sport jujitsu tournament. All we knew is that it's karate-style striking and there's takedowns and 30 seconds of ground work (with no chokes). I wanted to test myself in that setting so I my gameplan was basically just get everyone to the ground and submit them, but if those are the rules screw it.

Just get an ammy mma bout. You can keep your gameplan :)

Cahill's is a 100% legit judo school. The JJJ taught there is Wally Jay style stuff. Finger locks, wrist locks off a punch, etc.

If you want Judo--grip fighting, throwing, pins, some grapping--definitely go there. They have great guys who are friendly and Cahill is cool.

If you are closer to SF, and want the same thing, for much cheaper, I suggest going to City College of SF's judo class. Also taught by a world-class instructor offering the same thing above. Big benefit: only like $13 per semester! Like 3 months of 2 nights per week for $13! Great deal.

Personally, I've taken JJJ and Judo at both locations and I'd skip the JJJ stuff. Start with boxing. Then try incorporating the JJJ stuff and see how incredibly difficult it is at 100% speed.

Just get an ammy mma bout. You can keep your gameplan :)

That's a little less restricted. What with gnp and all. Plus I was kind of counting on the guys in the tournament not being as good on the ground as me (it was a karate tournament that has a sport jj division). Not that I need the ego boost of tapping out guys who I outrank in grappling, but I wanted to test my bjj in an environment that had some limited striking.

But as I said, if those are the rules then screw it.

I have no goals of doing MMA.

That's a little less restricted. What with gnp and all. Plus I was kind of counting on the guys in the tournament not being as good on the ground as me (it was a karate tournament that has a sport jj division). Not that I need the ego boost of tapping out guys who I outrank in grappling, but I wanted to test my bjj in an environment that had some limited striking.

Fair enough. Eating elbows isn't for everyone.

Cahill's is a 100% legit judo school. The JJJ taught there is Wally Jay style stuff. Finger locks, wrist locks off a punch, etc.

If you want Judo--grip fighting, throwing, pins, some grapping--definitely go there. They have great guys who are friendly and Cahill is cool.

If you are closer to SF, and want the same thing, for much cheaper, I suggest going to City College of SF's judo class. Also taught by a world-class instructor offering the same thing above. Big benefit: only like $13 per semester! Like 3 months of 2 nights per week for $13! Great deal.

Personally, I've taken JJJ and Judo at both locations and I'd skip the JJJ stuff. Start with boxing. Then try incorporating the JJJ stuff and see how incredibly difficult it is at 100% speed.

I

Sport ju jitsu is meant to be for all styles. It's not purely JJJ. I come from a school that teaches a mix of BJJ JJJ and judo and our teacher won worlds at sport ju jitsu. We like it because it lets us bring together all the different aspects of MMA training in a environment that's open to younger people. Plus a lot of the JJJ gyms' competitors have really shitty cardio compared to us. I'm going to be competing at the nationals later this summer.

For what it's worth, I've found Pankration (or Amateur MMA as it is over here) is a good testing ground for grappling and striking in a fairly intense environment. Sure, there are no headshots at all, but you have to be switched on all the way through the fight and a far inferior ground fighter with some strong ground and pound and pressure can shut your guard down quicker than you would think.

Try that, and see if you like it?

I've had 20 fights under those rules, and despite on paper far superior grappling skills, a lot of them have been very far from easy. @_@

Just a thought!

Take care,

Oli

Back