Sport Jujitsu

C

Check123

I have been looking for a grappling school for a while and a coworker recommended Cahill

thats jjj not bjj.... wich is for the most part bs...

Judo is good, take judo.

Ju Jitsu is ok.

However, there are a few guys that created their own style of Ju Jitsu and created their own Federation to validate each others.

the JJ on the supplied website looks legit. give it a try.

if you live nearby check out peninsula bjj in foster city. great school.

It looks like a great school but a little expensive for me.

jjj is not bjj, wanna get into grappling? jjj is not an option...wanna do some MA training (in my opinion, not that much worth it, though I've seen a couple of sport jiu jitsu interesting videos) try sport jj if you like, but that aint grappling.

Habits formed at a sub-par gym can adversly affect your future jiu jitsu endeavors. Beware.

Cahill is a legit judo school, and has had pretty a pretty competitive program from what I hear. I think you would be in good shape to learn judo from there. The jujitsu program there is mostly oriented for self defense, but combined with live judo randori from the other class, you'd probably have a better grip on some of the things you've learned.

I trained in the same style of jujitsu as that school, got to brown belt (no judo like at that school). When I started at bjj, I was pretty much getting wiped by all the white belts, just to give you some sort of frame of reference.

I met Mr Cahill 15 years ago when I trained in traditional JJJ. Even then he expressed a concern that many schools would sprout up with various teachers of questionable skill who would teach "tricks" more so than solid technique.

He also talked about the weakness of traditional JJJ not having practitioners test themselves like a judoka does.

I learned alot from him. But more importantly I think he and another important figure in JJJ made me want to join BJJ when it first started.

The idea of always testing your self. By leaving your ego at the door and by the fact that even the best of the class will get tapped.

I remember in JJJ alto of the older guys or the guys with ego would not randori. And I have seen people end with injuries instead of tapping.

That being said I think I took alot of technique from Judo and JJJ to my BJJ. The difference is in the training.

A world class Judoka told me the difference between a black belt and an Olympic black belt isn't necessarily the technique as much as the training methods and the desire.

Take the techniques of JJJ and Judo and add constant sparring and practicing of fundamentals and any one could recreate BJJ.

I do not know this for a fact but I would think the very early Gracie family must have had many people who where humble enough to get beaten down even as a white belt. I really believe the something like BJJ must have came from humble roots.

LMAO at the guy in the graphic with his eyes creeping around, i enjoyed that vid actually of that little kid alex, he has some good takedowns, i think the school looks cool, couldnt hurt to give it a try, im gonna assume you would learn a tighter ground game at a bjj school but that is all about you, as long as u r learning the fundamentals, go for it

I would be more apt to study JJJ from a good Judo coach (like these) than to take it at a stand alone JJJ school mainly because of the live training. I dont think learning to strike is a bad idea either.

If you can't afford BJJ, take Judo. If you're looking for the jiu jitsu you see in MMA, that's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, no Jujitsu. Many traditional schools are capitalizing on BJJ's popularity by advertising the fact that they teach jujitsu, which they may actually know but would not have previously advertised. Then they'll tell you that it's just as good if not better.

I would be more apt to study JJJ from a good Judo coach (like these) than to take it at a stand alone JJJ school mainly because of the live training. I dont think learning to strike is a bad idea either.

it is point fighting thou, with no head punches

as soon as there is a grip you cannot strike anymore

very peculiar rules to, a Ippon throw by judo standards doesn't win you the "fight/match nor does a pin/submission. if you have an Ippon in each part, standing, throwing, ground then you get your win by Ippon

a good judoka can't enter and rack up the points throwing them all over he place either, he will get warned because he avoids the striking

To answer part of the question that has gotten missed. Just because it says jiu Jitsu does not mean it is BJJ. JJ has many families. JJJ or Japanese Jiu-jitsu, whichs is what sport/combat JJ is, is a hybrid striking throwing system. Yo might say it is the great granddaddy of modern BJJ. What this means is there is a lot of stuff in there that will work but none of it has been refined to the level of BJJ or Judo.

Take the techniques of JJJ and Judo and add constant sparring and practicing of fundamentals and any one could recreate BJJ.
I do not know this for a fact but I would think the very early Gracie family must have had many people who where humble enough to get beaten down even as a white belt. I really believe the something like BJJ must have came from humble roots.

Please do not talk about BJJ if you do not know anything about it. This is embarrassing.

Back