Sport Jiujitsu help thread

WestCoastTKO

White Belt
Reaction score
Sports BJJ is striking and jiujitsu and wrestling put together. I have been training in Kickboxing for a long time and wrestling for 2 years and doing mostly no gi jiujistu for the past half year. the problem is Sports BJJ is fought in a gi, I have been training in a gi but only long enough to realize that it is a whole different animal to no gi. I am just wondering any tips for what to do when he grabs my gi besides punching him in the teeth, as well as any counters to any lapel chokes because those suck to get caught in.

Well, you really should train in the gi so that you can learn how to break various types of grips. It's very hard to describe without demonstrating. I will tell you from experience that allowing your opponent to get his grips when standing will totally screw up your wrestling game. Your shot could be completely stopped by a stiff-arm anchored to your gi at the shoulder.

I was going to enter a sport jujitsu tournament to test myself before I found out about the very restrictive rules, and then said screw it.

Sports BJJ is striking and jiujitsu and wrestling put together. I have been training in Kickboxing for a long time and wrestling for 2 years and doing mostly no gi jiujistu for the past half year. the problem is Sports BJJ is fought in a gi, I have been training in a gi but only long enough to realize that it is a whole different animal to no gi. I am just wondering any tips for what to do when he grabs my gi besides punching him in the teeth, as well as any counters to any lapel chokes because those suck to get caught in.

Where do they have Sports Jiu jitsu? I would like to try it. I have done Pankration but that is without GI. California has some funky CASC rules now about pankration and there are no more tournaments. I would love to see some sport BJJ tournaments start popping up here.

I was going to enter a sport jujitsu tournament to test myself before I found out about the very restrictive rules, and then said screw it.

please elaborate. it was sounding pretty cool for a minute....

please elaborate. it was sounding pretty cool for a minute....

At least over here Sport JJ is point fighting, until grips are established, then judo, then more matwork

To get an Ippon you gotta get an Ippon in all three parts

And you get penalized for just sticking to one aspect

I think the old kind of Sport JJ
like this
YouTube - Paul Creighton Sport Ju-Jitsu Highlights
is defunct now

Well the one I was going to do was part of a karate tournament, but I wasn't going to do that part. I wanted to test my bjj against people with striking backgrounds, assuming that I would be better on the ground, and seeing if I could get it there and submit them in a semi-realistic situation.

Then I found out there was a timer for ground fighting. Fine, so I'll be fast as possible. Then I found out there were no chokes. Fine, I'll go with joint locks. Then I found out you can't just win on the ground, you have to fight on the feet as well. Then I said screw it.

I don't know if those rules are universal.

Then I found out there was a timer for ground fighting. Fine, so I'll be fast as possible. Then I found out there were no chokes. Fine, I'll go with joint locks. Then I found out you can't just win on the ground, you have to fight on the feet as well. Then I said screw it.

I don't know if those rules are universal.

but these rules would be effen screwy

I have only heard about it before. Mostly when my teacher goes on about how we'll be on the receiving end of a "sport jiu jitsu beatdown" on the belt exam.

The rules do sound very restrictive and kinda lame. It's interesting to hear about it, though.

the last time one of our guys did it, a sub (any sub - except heelhooks etc) ended the fight, but there was limited groundtime and no strikes to the head on the ground

was a few months ago in Toronto I believe

Where do they have Sports Jiu jitsu? I would like to try it. I have done Pankration but that is without GI. California has some funky CASC rules now about pankration and there are no more tournaments. I would love to see some sport BJJ tournaments start popping up here.

sport jiu jitsu is not the same as sport bjj....

From the sportjiujitsu.org website

Points are awarded as follows:

1 Point for a strike to the body

has anyone ever done a competition...and have any tips for a mainly No gi guy like myself?

^^^whats that?? junior MMA? isnt sport jiu jitsu supposed to be in a gi??

why would they allow joint locks but not chokes? shouldn't it be the opposite?

why would they allow joint locks but not chokes? shouldn't it be the opposite?

You would think that, but chokes are for some reason taboo. Dirty. Oh, you're not supposed to choke a guy. Meanwhile the likelihood of injury from a properly applied choke is incredibly low. You wanna tell me I can apply a toe hold or a bicep slicer, but not a RNC? Yes, it's silly.

Back