Sport jiu jitsu

ichimonji said:
where there alot of basketball courts in Brazil 50 years ago?

Helio Gracie built the first ever basketball court in Brazil. He and his sons were incredible ballers.

They would never play for points. Points are silly and aren't true basketball. Instead they would play until the other team got tired and left the court.

Helio and his sons were undefeated. They hold the record for the longest basketball game ever. They would just lie down in the middle of the court and practice their guards. Eventually the other team would get tired and go home. Then they would declare victory and go surf.

Balto said:
Helio Gracie built the first ever basketball court in Brazil. He and his sons were incredible ballers.

They would never play for points. Points are silly and aren't true basketball. Instead they would play until the other team got tired and left the court.

This was danm funny - you should have just left it there

good posts by everyone, I go with baltos point of view...

by the way, in a street fight, my fav BJJ move is a streight headbutt before he knows it, I am quite good at it

I got kicked out of my school cos the tightarses wouldnt let me eyegouge. WTF is with that?
You do make a good point, but I think a lot of people train (myself included) for the enjkoyment and sporting aspect.

Fucking shit. If you do JJ for more than five minutes you'll know what you can do and what you can't do in a street fight. Either that, or you're so goddamn stupid you deserve to get your ass kicked.

Want the truth? For self defense, I have a Glock 22 with tritium sites and extended capacity magazines filled with hollow points, and a concealed weapons permit.

Any situation calling for something less than lethal action can be avoided 99% of the time by being intelligent in where you go and what you're doing. Look at the beginning of Darwinists post for further verification.

The days of toe to toe, hand to hand fighting in the streets are over. That is, if they ever truly existed.

Gracie JJ is about self-defense. Self-defense is about defending against sucker punches, kicks to the groin, knife and gun attacks, when you are caught from behind while sitting on a chair etc. Do you ever learn this kind of things in a sport JJ oriented gym? No, you learn helicopters and X and gogoplatas!
Of course you better run. But what if you are not so god damn fast enough?

Stoic1 said:
First thing I would do is make sure I am not standing in lava and/or broken glass...

...then I would punch you the fuck out for making this stupid thread.

haha...agreed

tudor_bjj said:
Gracie JJ is about self-defense. Self-defense is about defending against sucker punches, kicks to the groin, knife and gun attacks, when you are caught from behind while sitting on a chair etc. Do you ever learn this kind of things in a sport JJ oriented gym? No, you learn helicopters and X and gogoplatas!
Of course you better run. But what if you are not so god damn fast enough?
hey, don't discredit the gogoplata, it is rather good if you have a guy pounding away on top of you

not sure if this came out right... :eek:

RangerATL said:
The days of toe to toe, hand to hand fighting in the streets are over. That is, if they ever truly existed.

I wouldn't say that. Yes, people jump in sometimes, but it all depends on the people. I have been in a lot of street fights, and I have witnesses a lot of street fights, and i have still never seen a weapon get pulled, and only seen somebody get jumped once or twice. I know that if I am getting in a fight, I have always told my friends that if I am getting my ass kicked to just let me get my ass kicked, only pussies have people jump in. And besides, most people who pull out weapons just do it for intimidation and probably wouldn't use them if their life depended on it. This may not sound right, but it actually does take some amount of balls to stab or shoot somebody, because 99% of people couldn't live with a death on their conscience.

Oh yeah. Back certain people into a corner and they have to fight. We always start off polite, and try to get people to leave peacefully, and most of the time they do. The biggest problems arise when a fight has already broken out. In all the confusion it

Back