Spoony's Kettlebells for BJJ

E

Eskimospoon

Just a bit of info on my background I'm 188cm and 85kg at the moment I have just returned to BJJ after 6 months off due to a couple injuries the most annoying one being golfer's elbow.

I am currently just training with a 16kg Kettlebell and have decided to give the 12 week Enter the kettlebell program by Pavel Tsatsouline a go to start getting some strength and conditioning back.

Day 1
Saturday 9th Oct 2010

Warmup 10 minutes

Wall Squats x 10
Halo x 10
Pump stretch x 10

5 times through.

Workout: 12 minutes

1st cycle
Swings x 20
Jumping Jacks x 1 min
Swings x 20
Mountain Climber x 1 min
Swings x 20
Burpees x 1 min
Swings x 20
Pushups x 1 min

2nd cycle
Swings x 20
Jumping Jacks x 1 min
Swings x 20
Mountain climbers: ran out of time.

Notes: Was alot harder then I expected and I realised just how much my conditioning has dropped.

Week 1, KB workout 2.
Tuesday the 12th of October 2010

Warmup

Wall Squats x 10
Halo x 10
Pump stretch x 10

5 times through.

Workout: 5 minutes

Turkish getups for 5 minutes
Managed to get 4 out each side. I tried to do get ups on puzzlemats on a vinyl floor, not my brightest idea nearly slipped over a couple of times.

Notes: I have been pretty sore from the first workout over the last few days and felt very tight in my shoulders and a bit of soreness in my elbows. The elbow soreness is pretty standard for me so I have been taking gluscosamine for the past few months I don't think it has really made a great deal of difference but I will wait and see how it goes.

I was very disappointed to have my golfer's elbow flare up the day after doing turkish get ups. Very painful and unfortunately I am going have to give kettlebells a miss and change my workout routine to something bodyweight based until I can get a shed built to house my power cage and the rest of my gym.

Saturday 16 October 2010
Had the bjj fundamentals class today and ended up working on double leg and single leg takedowns. This is the first class that I have been to that focused on just takedowns was a really nice change.

The open mat is on saturday at noon but I had to give it a miss for a barbecue and beer. Tough life.

Monday 18 October 2010
After deciding to give up kettlebells to save my forearms and elbows I figured I would focus on some basic goals.

Goals
100 chest to ground pushups: I used to use terrible form for these.
200 crunches: My core training really needs to improve.

Pushup routine

based of pushuplogger.com and situplogger.com

60 seconds between sets.

14 pushups
14 pushups
10 pushups
10 pushups
12 pushups(max attempt)

Not particularly happy with my final effort.

Crunches.
20 crunches(max attempt)

My core sucks. really need to focus on it.

Grip:
Towel bicep curls with a 16 kg kettlebell 3 sets x 10 reps.

2 sets of 10 reps single arm row 16kg kettlebell

Light workout would like to find a decent bodyweight only routine so will keep looking around

Back