Sponsors outside the UFC - Reebok era

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
This thread, dedicated to Lyoto "Proxy" Machida, will be about:
  • Fighters that left UFC after Reebok
  • Sponsors they get outside the UFC, their stability and their ability to pay the fighter
Mostly it will be dedicated to Bellator, I assume.

Let's start with the Dragon.

I think smart people know that people love to watch Machida. Not necessarily pay to watch him, but they enjoy watching him for free.
Which explains, why the startup, independent and successful high tech company decided to invest money in him:

gegard-mousasi-lyoto-machida-bellator-228-8.jpg

lyoto-machida-bellator-228-1.jpg

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

If you ask me, they definitely are able to pay Lyoto six figures per fight. This is money successful hi tech company can afford to get recognition.

Now bad example: Gleison Tibau.
UFC Reebok money: $20K

Golden Boy: presentingHayabusa , Battlefield - wearing Lexani.
Golden Boy he wore ATT shorts
gleison-tibau-attempts-to-take-down-efrain-escudero-during-chuck-v-picture-id1065031266

Neither of them recognizes him as an official sponsor and mentions him anywhere.
Pretty sure he got peanuts from them.
030rafaellooliveiravsgleisontibau.1327551022.0.jpg

Cris Cyborg:
Don't worry about her salary.
She definitely gets pay cut from UFC (no one will raise her salary up to 500K to show), but she has a monster of a sponsor that did not leave her even when she was in the UFC:

https://www.southcoastmitsubishi.com/

It's not Mitsubishi themselves...but it's their official store in California.
She wore their stuff in Invicta...trust me, she'll do the same in Bellator.

They'll pay her good...real good.

Myles "Fury" Jury.

This kid is smart, you know that?

Reebok caught him when he was an undefeated prospect everyone talked about.
He got great sponsor back then, DeeZee.

After his viral (in MMA) Tweet where he throws Reebok into trash can, he was silenced behind the scenes, most likely by more lucrative Reebok contract than other fighters.
I'm pretty sure that helped him financially while he went into kind of an obscurity as a fighter.

Now in Bellator, he's back on a horse. Seems he's into cars when he chooses sponsors:
benson-henderson-myles-jury-bellator-227-2.jpg

https://americanethanolracing.com/

Definitely not bad, and definitely good money for Fury.

Interesting thread, props.
The Reebok deal is unanimously known to be shit.
Glad to see Machida getting sponsors and good money even at 41.

Interesting thread, props.
The Reebok deal is unanimously known to be shit.
Glad to see Machida getting sponsors and good money even at 41.

It's not that simple.

Reebok may be shit, but outside of the UFC it's up to the fighter (or/and his management) to find good deals.

As you can see, Tibau got screwed. He actually got more from Reebok, I'm 100% sure.

Leslie Smith also gets peanuts 100%. I'll elaborate soon.

Leslie Smith: After all the wars with UFC (and a little bit with Bellator as well, but we won't mention it because moderators will erase the entire thread) here's what she came up with
leslie-smith-bellator-224-1.jpg

Yes, yes, she works in Gil's gym, we know it we get it.
But what is this HAGA' sign?

These guys;
https://haga.bigcartel.com/

Now these guys, ladies and gentlemen, probably can pay her....wait...they can't. They probably gave her 50% discount on their crappy gear.

Well, at least she represented them...well...kinda...in the Bellator prelims winning the fight no one will ever watch again.
BTW, she's their only professional fighter.

It's not that simple.

Reebok may be shit, but outside of the UFC it's up to the fighter (or/and his management) to find good deals.

As you can see, Tibau got screwed. He actually got more from Reebok, I'm 100% sure.

Leslie Smith also gets peanuts 100%. I'll elaborate soon.
Oh, I understand your point.

Well, I still prefer the scenario where fighters (and their management) can look for good deals and if they can't find any, well, then shame on them. With Reebok you had / have the majority getting screwed because there was a queue of sponsors with $$ which they could not legally take.

Not sure about the top tiers but the mid tiers were screwed for sure. Right?

Oh, I understand your point.

Well, I still prefer the scenario where fighters (and their management) can look for good deals and if they can't find any, well, then shame on them. With Reebok you had / have the majority getting screwed because there was a queue of sponsors with $$ which they could not legally take.

Not sure about the top tiers but the mid tiers were screwed for sure. Right?

Totally agree with that.
I just mentioned that not everything is shining outside the UFC and Tibau probably would've donated his roid-contaminated liver to get back to the UFC.

about Tamden McCrory

McCrory said he isn't bothered by either change, and he actually is encouraged by the Reebok switch. While some UFC fighters have complained of losing six-figure sponsorships, McCrory has long detested the game of finding, securing, and hunting down sponsorship checks from sometimes unreliable sources.

McCrory enters the Octagon earning an even $5,000 clip from Reebok, a sponsorship figure comparable to what he earned with Bellator.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/...-land-in-ufc-after-being-dicked-around-for-so

The only sponsor of his I could find from Bellator era (I can find more if I re-watch fights and weigh ins) is some brand Baddass Incorporated, and it's belly up from 2016. He moved to UFC from 2015.
https://twitter.com/baddassinc

So he went to some shady crappy clothing brands, while Jury, for example, went for industry companies.

Good sponsors don't come from MMA niche, I assume...

PS His story, especially about money he got from them , only proves my theory that Tibau and Leslie Smith get peanuts.

imagine defending the authoritarian policies of a billion dollar corp online for free

imagine defending the authoritarian policies of a billion dollar corp online for free

First I was about to call you an idiot because you obviously did not read the thread and accused me for defending UFC policies due to the thread name only.
But then I remembered that we had one debate here on sherdog and realized - you're an idiot overall, unrelated to any specific thread.

Mousasi went in eyes wide open. He knew sponsors were a minor thing anymore. He didn't come to Bellator because of sponsors, but because of trust and respect. And if he gets a few dozen k more from sponsors than he would have from Reebok, that's fine too.

https://www.mmaweekly.com/gegard-mousasi-explains-why-he-left-the-ufc-to-sign-with-bellator-mma
“The pay was better. The way I’m going to be treated is better. I can have my own sponsors. I have to be realistic about that because Reebok has killed a lot of sponsors. There were a lot of sponsorships that you could have before, they don’t exist anymore. But it’s still better than getting $10,000 from Reebok.

“I get to bring fighters in and Scott [Coker] will give them the opportunity to fight. I will have the opportunity to go to light heavyweight, maybe fight for a title with the middleweight belt. So many things. It’s not just the money to be honest. It’s the treatment that I’m going to get. The way I feel. A lot of factors come to play when it comes to Bellator.”​

First I was about to call you an idiot because you obviously did not read the thread and accused me for defending UFC policies due to the thread name only.
But then I remembered that we had one debate here on sherdog and realized - you're an idiot overall, unrelated to any specific thread.
i dont remember you at all

I’ve used Private Internet Access before, worked well for what I needed. At the time I didn’t realize they sponsored fighters so when I first saw that they did I thought it was pretty cool.

It's all just guessing what these fighters are getting and is it even a big amount for most fighters. One big change with many fighters is the day of 8 or 10 different sponsors are kind of gone for the most part. It's usually a one to three sponsors and that is it. Now is that just the way fighters are doing business now or is it very hard to find sponsors and that is all they can find, I don't really know. Also just because a company appears to have cash, it doesn't mean they spend it stupidly either.

In general if you ever done any research on the sponsorship of MMA fighters you'll find out a few things very quickly. First, for every fighter like Schaub making around a 100K a fight you had dozens of fighters that couldn't even get 5K. In other words many times the rich kept getting richer. Second, you'll find back in the "hay-day" of sponsorships you'll find story after story of fighters being stiffed. After they spent tons of time securing the sponsorship and in some cases even doing appearances and never seeing a cent. Third, you'll find many companies went under that did sponsor or got out of sponsoring fighters. Through the years I've heard in interviews on MMA radio/pod/internet shows that many of these owners or people associated with the company claimed they saw little to anything out of sponsoring fighters. Lastly, a few fighters that have came through Bellator through the years have stated sponsorship money was almost nonexistent outside of being one of the top guys in the org. Hell, one fighter came on this forum looking for anyone that had a connection or wanted to sponsor him in his title fight on TV.

Now by no means am I saying the UFC/Reebok deal has worked out. I think the plan was to clean up the crap, help even out the pay, and eventually get Reebok to allow other blue chip/large sponsors come on board and advertise on the exclusive clothing of Reebok for the UFC and in return that money would help build up the pot to pay out to fighters. We see this on a very small scale with Monster. Are we having these talks if the Sponsorship tier dollar amount were double, I don't think we'd hear a whole lot of fighters speaking up and that is easily doable if Reebok agrees with the UFC to let Modelo or Pepsi or whatever be a part of it. I think when this deal is up that is what we are going see and lesson learned for all involved.

Overall on the surface it all looks great but chances are very high it's good for the upper guys(maybe 10% of Bellator fighters) and tough sledding for everyone else.

I’ve used Private Internet Access before, worked well for what I needed. At the time I didn’t realize they sponsored fighters so when I first saw that they did I thought it was pretty cool.

Hehe the company I work in is going to switch their original country to US. I'll advise them to find a fighter to sponsor, I think our marketing dept will go with it

Back