*Spolier* Hughes v. Almedia

I first saw that submission n the Tony Desouza instructional "Cholitzu". In it, Tony shows the move and mentions that the Schultz brothers used that move in wrestling quite efficiently and very frequently. Desouza also mentioned that Schultz put people to sleep with that submission in about 4 seconds. I was so intrigued by it that I found the Schultz instructional and bought it. Interesting move.

yep, arm-in front headlock, gable grip anaconda, whatever you want to call it. like rogan was saying, you probably have to be freakishly strong to put someone to sleep with it. matt hughes has "retard strength" though

Ya no kidding. I like how all these grappling nerds are trying to come up with a name for it. It was an anaconda......no no.. it was a gator anaconda, or was it katagme, or maybe an anaconda gator???? I can't decide. It was an EFFIN freaking headlock. That's it

modified front headlock, used to be semi-legal in wrestling, now they're pretty quick to call it when your forearm pressures the neck in a choking manner.

It's from Shultz bros and is like where the Peruvian necktie came from- it's a great submission and was used effectively against one of the best sub grapplers. I also saw this on Cholitzu

It was a basic front headlock, applied with good leverage and a ton of power, which made it a choke. I used it a lot in wrestling, but obviously in wrestling we weren't taught it as a choke.

or was it katagme,

Katagatame. It's the Japanese/Judo name for a side choke. It translates to shoulder choke. The Japanese don't have many names for submissions, more like general names for types of submissions. So anything like a regular arm triangle side choke is a katagatame. If the Japanese were doing a commentary on this fight, they actually probably would have called it katagatame, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear judoka in general use the same term, which is technically correct.

I first saw that submission n the Tony Desouza instructional "Cholitzu". In it, Tony shows the move and mentions that the Schultz brothers used that move in wrestling quite efficiently and very frequently. Desouza also mentioned that Schultz put people to sleep with that submission in about 4 seconds. I was so intrigued by it that I found the Schultz instructional and bought it. Interesting move.

This the link?

Instructional Tony De Souza : Guillotine

I think it was just a wrestling front headlock. But some wrestlers can actually choke you out with it, and for example Mark Schultz is famous for this move:

YouTube - Schultz Headlock GutWrench (the beginning is very similar)

BONUS: who said wrestling didn't have submissions? Saku would be proud!

YouTube - Mark Schultz Disqualification in 1984 Olympics

(edit: apparently it's Dave, not Mark who's most famous for that headlock)

My instructor shows this move all the time. He's a Bayless brown belt. Bayless trained a bit with Mark Shultz and picked up quite a few tricks (including this choke). Pretty fun to see!

That choke was awesome, I would of expected Almeida to defend a little more though. And yes Marc Schultz is awesome, he was notorious, for using chin straps and front head locks for chokes and then spinning around for chokes, along with his brother Dave. Its unfortunate what happened to him.

Nick Simmons is famous fo choking guys with the front headlock to.

He even has a turn he where chokes the guy to cause him to turn.

Here is Simmons getting his front headlock choke turn on current US world Team Member Obe Blanc.

Start watching at like 2:55

Nick Simmons is famous fo choking guys with the front headlock to.

He even has a turn he where chokes the guy to cause him to turn.

Ive heard that called the east lansing strangle..You can see Florida's Pete Baldwin use this multiple times effectively in the finals of flonationals starting at ;45 of the match. At 2:05 the announcers even say that Baldwin "Put his opponent to sleep in the semis"

Video - 140lbs James Green -NJ vs. Pete Baldwin -FL on Flowrestling

Here it is at 45 seconds of this match too: 160lbs Dan Yates Michigan Freeze- Vs. James Fleming Diesel- | 2009 AAU Scholastic Duals | Wrestling Matches on Flowrestling

Last edited:
Almerida's arm was not really pressed in
I honestly did not believe that was possible with two equal sized opponnets
and I am a purple belt that has been grappling for years
been to tons of tournaments
it is a testament to how strong Mat Hughes is

edit I guess i should have read through this thread before posting because i look a little stupid now
but still that was ridicoulous

Almerida's arm was not really pressed in
I honestly did not believe that was possible with two equal sized opponnets
and I am a purple belt that has been grappling for years
been to tons of tournaments
it is a testament to how strong Mat Hughes is

edit I guess i should have read through this thread before posting because i look a little stupid now
but still that was ridicoulous

Its all good. :) watched the match a few times now and it looked like the choke came on really fast when Matt had the angle on him. I noticed Almeida did not square back up in time but it looked like he was trying.

I know that choke as the Dave Shultz Front headlock.
It's a choke from old school wrestling but in catch wrestling it was a submission.

When I say I know it, I don't mean apply it. I mean "What the hell just happened?" "Oh that's the old Dave Shultz front headlock".

I've been caught in it, I've seen it a couple of times, but I have yet to learn the details.

basically an arm triangle except in a different position complete with same shoulder/body pressure on the arm

BJJ:icon_neut?

Ive seen this kind of hold applied to control a front head and arm or to tire an opponent countless times in wrestling. Not EVERY submission has its orgins in BJJ.

Original Olympic style wrestling, read: ancient greece, was submission wrestling.

EVERYTHING in wrestling comes from submission fighting. The gable grip is about all I can say I use with much frequency besides the takedowns. Also I like to let a guy think he's about to take my back and granby roll his ass.

Matt Hughes could have snapped him down or done a throw by, were it wrestling... hell, he could have done it there and had Almeida's back.

g3xt69s9e9ri.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back