*Spolier* Hughes v. Almedia

FunkyRMe

White Belt
Reaction score
What the heck kinda choke was that? Looked like he started to like up a gator and then shoved his head in Almedia's shoulder... Kung Fu grip.

did he actually triangle his arms though? Just look like he kept a tight gable grip and buried his head.

did he actually triangle his arms though? Just look like he kept a tight gable grip and buried his head.

its a very common move in bjj.

MOre often than not you can't triangle your arms.

That move is called kata gatame

its just a side choke.

That move doesn't take strength, just body mechanics and positioning

Yeah I guess that was the squeeze, inverted though hmm. Never seen it or tried it from that angle. Guess what I'm trying out in practice tomorrow.

Lol can't believe Hughes pulled it off.

Just a head and arm choke with a lottt of shoulder pressure. Beautiful technique.

So who had a bet with Hughes by sub in the 1st?

its a very common move in bjj.

MOre often than not you can't triangle your arms.

That move is called kata gatame

its just a side choke.

That move doesn't take strength, just body mechanics and positioning

It was pure wrestling.

I thought it was an anaconda done with a gable grip instead of a triangle grip. That's how I always finish arm triangles but I didn't know it was possible for other chokes too.

BJJ:icon_neut?

Ive seen this kind of hold applied to control a front head and arm or to tire an opponent countless times in wrestling. Not EVERY submission has its orgins in BJJ.

I thought it was an anaconda done with a gable grip instead of a triangle grip. That's how I always finish arm triangles but I didn't know it was possible for other chokes too.

yep, arm-in front headlock, gable grip anaconda, whatever you want to call it. like rogan was saying, you probably have to be freakishly strong to put someone to sleep with it. matt hughes has "retard strength" though

I still don't understand it and can't find a damn pic of it.

“It’s an old wrestling move,” said Hughes, who posted his record 17th win inside the Octagon. “I’ve been good at it. I’m happy to beat a good Brazilian with a wrestling move.”

Silva, After Getting Dominated, Subs Sonnen

So who had a bet with Hughes by sub in the 1st?

I actually thought Hughes would win and a friend of mine said it was pretty stupid. I plan to force feed him his own words on Monday, but in reality he will probably take my back and torture me

Lol can't believe Hughes pulled it off.

Me neither. This dude is fucking impressive and always good for a big surprise.

But I did not expect Almeida's standup to be that weak...

Back