*Spoilers* Just finished Witcher 2 and started Witcher 3.

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by GearSolidMetal, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:16 PM.

1. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

*Spoilers for Witcher 2*
    *Please don't be a cunt and spoil significant events for Witcher 3*
    I pretty much know about most of what happens in the 3rd game, hearing about this title for the last 4 years. But still, don't be a cunt for others that don't know and haven't played it yet.

Don't be A Colby.

[​IMG]

After having Witcher 2 in my Steam Library for 7 years I finally dedicated what I expected to be two weeks of playing it, and was quite surprised to see how short it was.

I finished it in 25 hours, taking my time and doing quite a few side-quests, and completed Chapter 3 within three hours.

After defeating the dragon (awesome boss fight), I was quite suprised when 'Epilogue* appeared on the screen.

'Wait, that's it? Three chapters and the last one was that quick, with barely any combat?!?' Heck, the first chapter felt more like an extended tutorial. I had filled up only two branches of my Level-Up tree and was only at level 30. It seemed like I had another three chapters to go, based on what I've heard about the length of Witcher 1, and the extreme length of Witcher 3 and its DLCs.

Overall, the story was great (although felt cut off at the end), the combat was good but feels very dated by today's standards. Really loved the 'Mass Effect-like' choices throughout the game.

My choices were...
    Chpt1 - Helped Roche over the Elf leader.
    Chpt2 - Killed King Henselt.
    Chpt3 - Saved Triss over Roche.
    Let the portal rip Sheala apart.
    Spared Letho (because I heard he has a cameo in Witcher 3 if you let him live).

From what I understand, there's alot of other choices I could have made if I went with the Elf in Chapter 1, over Roche. But Witcher 2 doesn't seem like the type of game I'd play more than once. It was good, with a great (but short) story, but the gameplay was pretty thin. (I'm not a huge fan of crafting and enchanting)

So I started Witcher 3 and still in the tutorial portion, just played by first game of Gwent.

I happily carried my Witcher 2 save file over and am looking forward to seeing how my decisions have an effect in the sequel.

When I first started a new game I was VERY surprised at how Geralt was with Yennifer.

'Wait a second! What happened with Triss?!? I was a big fan of Triss! They broke up?!? WTF is going on here!'

Then I saw a close-up of Ciri's face and she's only 10 years old, and I figured it out.

'Ooohhhhh, gotchya. This takes place before Geralt lost his memories. Good one CDProjektRed, ya got me.'

Anyway guys, got any useful tips for me?

And when would you suggest a new player start the DLC expansions? After completing the main game, or immediately when you're at the recommended levels for each?

Does Gwent have any significance besides being a fun side-game? Can you trade powerful cards for powerful items?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    deviake likes this.
  2. GhostZ06

GhostZ06 Steel Belt

id advuse a bomb throwing and heavy hitting sword attacks build

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  3. milliniar

milliniar Who needs a belt?

Way to spoiler Witcher 2, maybe I should spoil 3.

I never played the first two games but played and enjoyed 3.

4. rocketskates

rocketskates Black Belt

Witcher 3 is the best game of all time. Enjoy.

5. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Did you get to the rabbits screwing yet?

6. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

7. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Red Belt

I recommend doing the DLCs after the main quest, which will be just about the correct level anyway. I also recommend turning on the enemy level scaling option because if you do any side quests you will rapidly become overlevelled for the main questline.

It's an awesome game. Have fun.

I didn't think the main questline's story was on par with the first two games' stories, but the gameplay is significantly improved, the side quests are good, and the DLCs are fantastic. Hearts of Stone is probably my favorite DLC questline I can think of for any game.

Rozko, ThulsaDooom and GearSolidMetal like this.
  8. Gandzooka

Gandzooka Purple Belt

You can earn some money by playing Gwent, there is one tournament that has quite a big prize, but participating in it requires you to have decent pack of Gwent cards, in addition the tournament ends up resulting in a quest that is not otherwise available. So, yeah, play Gwent, you win more powerful cards from people by playing it.

Tip about Gwent, you can use decoy card to pick up and play already played card. Use this on cards that "resurrect" cards or deal damage to enemy. Or use it to pick up spy card enemy played against you and use it against them.

More tips:
    use the crossbow to kill those swimming enemies when underwater
    participate in horse races to win horse equipment, like bigger saddlebags that allow you to carry more
    it might be worth to hang on to lower level equipment if it gives some nice effect, like fire resistance or boost to sign dmg

I couldn't get into witcher 2 due to the controls feeling clunky but I really enjoyed witcher 3. Leave Blood & Wine for last since it gives nice conclusion for the game.

9. Swing

Swing Purple Belt

10. NoSmilez

NoSmilez Black Belt

I think I built my character funky or I invested in the wrong armor or something? I had no issues just hacking and slashing for the main witcher 3 storyline but the DLC raped me hard. I stopped playing for a long time and tried to restart. I couldn't get back into it.

11. Losfer Words

Losfer Words Brown Belt

Witcher 3 is a god damn miracle

12. GearSolidMetal

Another question I just thought of -

I know Geralt has to choose either Triss or Yennefer (not both) by the end of the main game.

Does the choice effect the DLCs at all?

Don't go into specifics, please.

13. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Gold Belt

Play the game on the second hardest difficulty. It’s too easy on normal. On hard you have to worry more about the oils and potions and all that that make the game fun.

As for Gwen’s, there’s only one side quest I think where it makes a difference. Otherwise it’s just for fun

DLC is fine to be played whenever but their pretty hard so you probably won’t be doing them until late game anyways

Enjoy it it is the best game ever

14. rocketskates

rocketskates Black Belt

It affects one tiny aspect of one of the DLCs but not enough to make you regret anything. Just choose the one you like better.

Obviously finish the main game first, but do Hearts of Stone before Blood and Wine. Blood and Wine is much more difficult and HOS is good to get your level up.

15. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Witcher 3 is amazing, although I still haven't gotten around to the DLCs. New year now, so let's go! I will try and get a platinum on it.

16. GearSolidMetal

So their, or one's, role in the DLCs are minimal.

That's disappointing.

17. Makani

Makani Ain't Nobody Ever Been Free

Gwent is kind of a self-contained universe, I enjoy it, but you're mostly accumulating cards to win games to get more cards. If you care about completion you should probably buy whatever card each new innkeeper is selling, though. You should be about DLC level when you beat it (~30), it's kind of designed that way. I cleared maps of icons like a machine though, so you might be a little lower depending. Just try to enjoy living through Geralt and all the cool little self-contained stories. I never beat Witcher 2, it was just too linear, but Witcher 3 will eat you alive if it catches you.

18. rocketskates

rocketskates Black Belt

Make sure to hard save often. Your choices have a huge impact on the ending of the game. There are several different endings and if you don’t get the one you wanted you can go back.

19. Death

Death Impressive. Most impressive.

Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. The DLC is fantastic as well. Couldn’t really get into 2, but I’m hoping to try it again.

20. GearSolidMetal

Play it on Easy.

Kinda wish I did. The early game (Prologue and Chapter 1) is very tough because you're so underpowered and have to rely on hit&dodge tactics to survive. The gameplay was very 'meh' even by 2011 standards.

I'd estimate it'll take 15-20 hours to complete, when played on Easy, but only because there is no fast-travel and Geralt runs slowly.