*SPOILER* JDS/Cain... Fight IQ.

MrCoffee

Brotherhood of Shitty Arguments.
@Black
Reaction score
Who here has ever seen a previous champion get tagged, so many times, with their hands straight down?

JDS gave it easy to Cain again. We saw, again, that the fight game isn't all about technique and skill in the physical attributes, but the mental game. Cain proved alpha. JDS was a scared cat in there and let his hands down over and over again. Instead of seeing the killer we are all used to, we see a timid boy getting beaten on.

It was easy to see JDS shut down after a few minutes in this fight, and its sad because he is such a good person and positive energy, but I think his kryptonite was exposed. If he gets on the defensive, he stays in defense mode, forgetting the beast that got him at the top of the heavyweight division.

I hope to see him learn and recover from this. Best of luck to JDS and Cain.

He just needs to learn how to get off that fence. Maybe he should go train with Randy Couture.

I think you're right about JDS's weakness being guys who'll pressure him and get him on the defensive. He seemed to wilt slowly but surely when Cain had him against the cage.
You could tell that the primary focus of his game plan was to defend the takedown, cause he constantly backed against the cage to use it to stuff Cain. Going into the fight with such a passive gameplan with no apparent thought about how to mount an effective offense other than trying to clip the other guy with a big shot really limited what JDS could do against Cain.

He's incredibly tough, so he can withstand punishment when things don't always go his way, but he doesn't have a back up plan when his primary strategy of looking for the KO has been negated (By a wrestler clinching him against the cage, for example), so his offense is neutralized simply because he doesn't know how/is unwilling to adapt his strategy during the fight.

Cain/Fedor/Cormier all have the same style.

A charging foreward with punches into double/single leg takedowns.

Best style?

I think you're right about JDS's weakness being guys who'll pressure him and get him on the defensive. He seemed to wilt slowly but surely when Cain had him against the cage.
You could tell that the primary focus of his game plan was to defend the takedown, cause he constantly backed against the cage to use it to stuff Cain. Going into the fight with such a passive gameplan with no apparent thought about how to mount an effective offense other than trying to clip the other guy with a big shot really limited what JDS could do against Cain.

He's incredibly tough, so he can withstand punishment when things don't always go his way, but he doesn't have a back up plan when his primary strategy of looking for the KO has been negated (By a wrestler clinching him against the cage, for example), so his offense is neutralized simply because he doesn't know how/is unwilling to adapt his strategy during the fight.

that going against the cage shit was weird. you could tell it was part of their strategy because he was using it to defend takedowns too like you said. made the same exact mistake as he did in the 2nd fight, which is just defend, defend, defend.

I understand how has a habit of going straight back but at what point do you adept? this should have been addressed well before this fight

Being against the cage works for Anderson. He uses it for balance and then when it's clinch time, he knees you to death.

Being against the cage works for Anderson. He uses it for balance and then when it's clinch time, he knees you to death.

well he was using it to defend the TD but you have to get your own offense off

I'm seeing the same mistakes being made and no adaptability

Junior is a counter striker.. and really a counter fighter.
He blows his energy using strength to fight takedowns or to stand up when maybe he should be looking for guard. He is an amazing boxer at his set range, Cain stopped his distance -- JDS falls apart. If you're a boxer muscling your way out of wrestling, those arms gonna gas. I think mentally he struggles against Cain too.

When you call jds scared you know you are a fucking moron.

Who here has ever seen a previous champion get tagged, so many times, with their hands straight down?

JDS gave it easy to Cain again. We saw, again, that the fight game isn't all about technique and skill in the physical attributes, but the mental game. Cain proved alpha. JDS was a scared cat in there and let his hands down over and over again. Instead of seeing the killer we are all used to, we see a timid boy getting beaten on.

It was easy to see JDS shut down after a few minutes in this fight, and its sad because he is such a good person and positive energy, but I think his kryptonite was exposed. If he gets on the defensive, he stays in defense mode, forgetting the beast that got him at the top of the heavyweight division.

I hope to see him learn and recover from this. Best of luck to JDS and Cain.

completely agree
after a minute or two i knew this is gonna be the same fight like last time
jds just broke mentally down and refused to fight

Its weird because while JDS did better this time around, he still made a lot of the same mistakes that he supposedly said he wasn't gonna make this time around. JDS shuts down and has no back up plan when he can't create distance to use his punches. He did land some pretty good shots early and even in the later rounds, but nothing powerful enough to stop Cain.

I'm really glad that Cain got the win, he is definitely the better and smarter fighter. JDS just doesn't seem to be the type to adapt if the fight is not going how he planned it. He has low fight IQ.

JDS needs to work on circle away from the cage instead of backing up into it over and over. He got smashed because of it.

you either have to be a master of working off the cage/clinch game or have the cardio/footwork to avoid the situations.

Back