Split Decisions Last Night

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dawg, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Dawg

Dawg In persuit of the white belt.

Most of the fights at UFC Fight Night 29 were real, real close. But, I still think the judges could be doing a better job.

I only agree with the decision that favored Maldonado. I don't think Dillashaw lost, as close as his fight against Assuncao was. Really hard to give Assuncao that 3rd round.

Also, I cannot believe people scored that main event first round in Shields' favor. I still have to watch it on TV, cause I was there live last night, but as I read Sherdog's PBP, I was even more confused. They either scored it for Shields or a draw. But, even if you read what was going on, it's hard to understand why they scored it as they did. Maia got the takedown early, worked to get Shield's back, stayed there for a while, and only ended up on his butt, 'cause Shields was able to shook'm away. Shields did not take him down. And, once on top, he did absolutely nothing of substance.
    So, how the heck do you give that round to Shields??

That being said, I'm disappointed with Maia. I'm a huge fan of his, but he could've done a lot more to get the W. He can't jab for sh*t, so all his opponents have to do is to stay way from that power left. And, he's got to trust his wrestling a little more, going for takedowns late in rounds. Anyways, I don't think he'll be able to get another shot at a UFC belt and that's too bad.

2. BrazilianBeast

BrazilianBeast White Belt

I'm brazilian and i said:

I'm embarrassed, Dillashaw and Beltran won clearly.

3. ravifreitas

ravifreitas Black Belt

I thought Dillashaw x Assuncao was a clear draw and Maia x Shields was a draw too (but if someone should get the nod, it should be Shields) and thought that Beltran easily should have got the nod

4. L0ki

L0ki Silver Belt

I don't think any of them won.

When a fight is that close, a judge shouldn't whip out a coin and call it to decide a winner.

I saw no winner in either of those fights or the main event.

I'm just waiting for a judge to say "you know what? I didn't see a clear winner, so I'm giving a Draw round, making the fight overall a draw. Fuck you, audience. if you don't like it, but no one won and there's no sudden victory round".

I also had Jake winning rounds 1 and 2, Maia rounds 3 and 4 and the 5th a draw.

5. ncboy

ncboy Brown Belt

Close fights are tough. Hopefully none of them fall too far. I'm glad we won't have to see Maia get dominated by GSP. His standup stinks.

6. OvaryPunch

OvaryPunch Orange Belt

There was definitely the appearance of good home cookin' last night.

7. SSJ16

SSJ16 Blue Belt

I thought there was a lot of bad judging in favour of the Brazilians. Ironically the gave the main to Shields who I thought lost.

8. xP

xP Silver Belt

I didn't think the judging last night was bad. There are worse decisions almost every event imo. I don't see a trend of brazillian fighters getting the nod either. Shields won his fight last night and that could have just as easily went to Maia and Machida got borderline robbed UD style against Davis.

I scored the fight for Assuncao after watching it twice. I thought his counter strikes and jab were the more effective in round 3.

I didn't score Fabio/Beltran

I was ok with any winner in the Maia/Shields fight. So many of those rounds (1,3,5) could have gone either way or been draw rounds.

I think the reason the first round could have went either way (I scored it 10-10) was because even though Maia had two TD's and had his back for a moment he never really did anything with it and when Jake got on top (a reversal/sweep scores just as much as a TD) he stayed there a while and landed some elbows on the ground. Maia was winning the first half of the round and Jake the second. Maia had better positioning but Jake actually landed some strikes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  9. Codpiece

Codpiece Met Conor Belt

I think many fights are 'draws', but a winner is picked virtually at random or due to hometown biases. I wouldn't mind if we saw more in MMA fights, especially between top guys like Maia and Shields where the fight was super close and a guy loses his claim to contendership.

10. Tsarcasmic

Tsarcasmic Blue Belt

I really wish judges would start giving 10-10 rounds more often. In the main even, I had the 1st and 4th being 10-10 rounds. I gave Jake round 2 and Maia 3 and 5.

11. Dawg

As much as I think there's no case of robbery here and Maia should have done more to secure the win... and, as close as it was, Maia won.

Really, how can you score the 1st round to Shields? It was a draw at best. They did split the round in terms of dominance... first part to Maia, second part to Shields. But, Maia was a whole lot more agressive and effective. Two takedowns, tagged Shields a bit as he tried to pass the guard, attacked the back and then he ended up on his back. Shields didn't even take him down. He went for a few elbows, but nothing too big. Is that enough for him to get the 10-9??

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  12. dns2344

dns2344 Purple Belt

There was no controversy in the judging. Look how consistent the Maia/Shields judges were:

[​IMG]

13. Eddieg

Eddieg Brown Belt

I had it:
    Beltran over Maldonado
    Dillashaw over Assuncao
    Maia over Shields (could be argued the other way I'd get it.)

So yes I disagreed with all of them.

14. Dawg

LoL

The judges got two rounds even out of five...