1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Spinning shit (Kicks).. what style do it best?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Frode Falch, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Frode Falch Steel Belt Professional Fighter

So... Spinning Kicks.. those are cool. Right? Either for use in real combat (for those who can do that), or for a very fun way of training cardio and body movement.

What what kicking style does them best. And why?

Most styles of fighting with kicks, also have some spinning kicks. And they more or less look the same. Because there are only so many ways a human body can move.

I feel i am one of the very few who dont pick Taekwondo as the best source for spinning kicks. Sure its the most known style with spinning attacks. But i feel every spinning kick comes from the same motion. So the thing that save them from telegraphing, is speed..

Most of my spinning kicks comes from kung fu and capoeira. And they feel more fluid when you dont do the "tornado kick step" that is used in most spinning and jump spinning kicks from Taekwondo.

What do you guys think?

I guess the most well known spinning styles is:

Taekwondo
    Northern kung fu
    Capoeira
    Kyokushin karate (mas oyama was korean?)

But you also got less know styles like old muay thai, arts from Vietnam, ect.

Discuss.

2. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    I'm not a great lover of spin kicks, but I've always been most impressed by kyokushin and sanda for actually getting power into them rather than relying on the spin itself to lightly slap your opponent around the face.

3. SalvadorAllende Steel Belt

I usually only throw spinning back kicks to the body in sparring but the spinning hook kick is awesome and love to drill it in the heavy bag.

Best spinning kicks I have seen (at least technically) were from a french friend of mine who trained savate for 8 years. She came to train with me once (kickboxing btw) while she was in town.
    I have never seen flexibility and control like that. And she had not trained for 1 year at the time.

She was competitive in savate and used to train with a national champ or something. Also told me that classes were crazy big. Like 150 persons at the same time (we are barely 10/15 top).

4. spacetime Banned Banned

Time stamped:)

I don't know the degree of overlap between styles but you can't throw a more clinical and hard spin kick at the same time than that. He has zero comprimises to his form and hits hit like a tank

5. Gfreak Purple Belt

Hapkido imo

6. Frode Falch Steel Belt Professional Fighter

They use Taekwondo kicks?

Its Aikido with tkd Kicks

7. spacetime Banned Banned

8. Gfreak Purple Belt

The hapkido guy's i've trained with, and the TKD guy's i've trained with have a definite different way of kicking.

Most hapkido guys don't both with point sparring style kicks, and go for more power oriented stuff, they still have some of hte flashy stuff. But also a lot more low kicks, sweeping kicks, and turning back side kicks.

The flashy jumping kicks are mainly just for athletic development/power/coordination practice.

They might share kicks, like how karate/tkd/muay thai all have front kicks/snap kicks.

But they train them with a different focus.

Edit: Also, hapkido is similar to aikido in that they use circular motion. But it's a MUCH harder style than aikido. especially traditionally/old school methods. It has more in common with Judo than Aikido honestly. as they do a lot of throws and actual live sparring as well.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  9. shincheckin Black Belt

my vote is for kyokushin...........they seem more practical for fighting than the other styles

10. spacetime Banned Banned

Eh.. The founders of Hapkido and Aikido had the same original instructor. They have the exact same joint manipulations and Aikido has judo throws as well

11. Gfreak Purple Belt

Right, it's the emphasis in which the're trained that makes the difference. even BJJ comes froom Aiki jui jitsu if you go back far enough.
    There's only so many ways the human body can move, it's the methods of training that really differentiate them.

Same joint manipulations, trained in a much harder manner with resisting opponents.

12. spacetime Banned Banned

hah... no.. its just as much demo shows

13. Gfreak Purple Belt

vs

Even an untrained person can see the difference in how they execute techniques. Yes the Uke is being complient, but it's a demo. of course they are. You have never trained in Hapkido, or with good hapkido guys. It's ok to admit you don't know something space.

14. the_winding_way Yellow Belt

This is true to a degree, but the sense of touch in the application of said joint manipulations is different.

15. the_winding_way Yellow Belt

I trained capoeira for a few years. My one criticism of their spinning kicks in a purely combative context (as opposed to playing capoeira) is that you can see them coming from a mile away.

But yes they do feel nicer to execute, because more attention's paid to the expression of the body rather than just cracking someone in the head with the kick.

That said, I do think the meia lua de compasso (spinning kick with hands on the ground) is about the most powerful kicking technique the human body is capable of.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  16. spacetime Banned Banned

No I have not. So would you mind showing free sparring with joint manipulations?

17. the_winding_way Yellow Belt

It looks like it, but not really. See below.

Pretty much this. Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido are almost contemporaneous, so it's more accurate to say that they borrowed from the previous generation, rather than hapkido borrowing tae kwon do's kicks. Hapkido's kicks are a lot more grounded than tae kwon do's and borrow more from indigenous Korean arts (like Taekkyon).

18. noc Green Belt

They kick like thinking with their first kick they would Koed their opponent

19. LeonardoBjj Professional-Wrestler

- Yes. Even thought i think they got proficient with kicks that arent used in taekwondo sparring or even trained in general (except for guys that doo exibitions).

Im a tkd practicioner but i dont doo much spinning. Do more turning back kicks. Spinning doesnt fit my personal stylle.

20. CFGroup Purple Belt

Well look at that!

Seoi Nage to Udi Garami "Kamura to you Murican's".

Looks like the Japanese influence in ground fighting was more than a Brazilian innovation.

@RJGreen trained Hapkido he'd shed some light on the subject.
    My understanding is Takeda Sensei's Jujitsu through Choi Yong Sool is the foundation of Hapkido and the blend of kicks is from the Korean martial arts that formed Tae Kwon Do.