Spinning elbows?

Bret Griffin

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How do fighters practice spinning elbows in sparring? Someone like Jon Jones for instance, obviously he practices throwing them but how do they practice them in a live situation without injuring their training partners?

With control. I.e. don't do it full force and don't even hit the opponent if you aren't sure you won't hurt him.

You can also throw elbows in light sparring if you aim to connect with the meat of your arm. For normal elbows you hit with the triceps, and for back elbows I imagine you'd try to do the same.

Just like knees to the face. You only use full force on the pad and bag. You do the full motion in shadowboxing. and you do light contact during playfull sparring or clinching. some like to cut the motion on the end so there is no contact.

I know some like to spar semi-hard with elbow pads. But i hate those elbow pads.

As long as both people drop the egos, slow motion sparring is really helpful for this sort of stuff. The problem is one guy generally tries to go a little faster than the other guy's slow motion, and it fucks everything up.

Yeah. You really have to trust the control of your partner if you add elbows and knees into a sparring context. But when you find that partner, it can change the whole dynamics of the sparring.

Everyone has pretty much said it all. it is an advanced move and so should onky be practiced in sparring by more experienced guys, who would know that sparring should just be playing around and elbows should just be shown but even then its still a bit risky and best just to practice on pads.

Back