Spinning back kicks?

Then I#d appreciate 1 clear example each of a back kick and spinning side kick because they are incredibly similar

No they are not.

Back kick

Back.jpg

side kick

sidekick.jpg

You can see from the pics that the side kickers body is completely turned over. He isn't looking over his shoulder. Forget the spinning/ turning part of the kick. A back kick is different from a side kick. The turn/ spin is of no significance. Now you can have a somewhat hybrid back/ side kick if you want, but that's not good form.

Last edited:
No they are not.

Back kick

Back.jpg

side kick

sidekick.jpg

You can see from the pics that the side kickers body is completely turned over. He isn't looking over his shoulder. Forget the spinning/ turning part of the kick. A back kick is different from a side kick. The turn/ spin is of no significance. Now you can have a somewhat hybrid back/ side kick if you want, but that's not good form.

Then a spinning sidekikc doesn't even make sense. If you turn that far before kicking then you lose all the power you gained from the spin you can use it as a faint I guess but since it come from the same trajectory as a spinning back kick it has literally 0 advantages over a back kick that i can think of.

Why would anyone throw a spinning side kick?

And I still consider the line very small because the mechanics stay the same the upper body doesn't matter as much as the foot position it just means that you start the kick at the end of the spin which makes 0 sense.

It's weaker than a spinning backkick, it isn't faster maybe slower as the kick starts a little bit later and you get the spin if you want it as a distraction with both kicks.

seriously is there any reason to EVER throw a spinning side kick? I can't think of any

baboza-spinning-kick-o.gif

I was taught that this is a "wheel kick" because the leg is simply swung all the way around.

Versus this:

http://giant.gfycat.com/LegalMemorableFlies.gif

Where the kicker first spins into place just like the first motion of a "spinning side kick," and then simply throws a hook kick. Obviously Thompson does it very quickly and with GREAT fluidity, but you can still see the change in motion right before the kick is launched.

Last edited:
Then a spinning sidekikc doesn't even make sense. If you turn that far before kicking then you lose all the power you gained from the spin you can use it as a faint I guess but since it come from the same trajectory as a spinning back kick it has literally 0 advantages over a back kick that i can think of.

Why would anyone throw a spinning side kick?

And I still consider the line very small because the mechanics stay the same the upper body doesn't matter as much as the foot position it just means that you start the kick at the end of the spin which makes 0 sense.

It's weaker than a spinning backkick, it isn't faster maybe slower as the kick starts a little bit later and you get the spin if you want it as a distraction with both kicks.

seriously is there any reason to EVER throw a spinning side kick? I can't think of any

Yeah spinning side kicks suck. I don't use them. But i guess it prevents a different angle? Back kicks are stronger and more stable. One reason the line is blurred because some people throw hybrid versions. Also when you look over your shoulder for the back kick, it can look similar to a side kick. But you don't really have to look over your shoulder.

The true back kick is much harder to throw. It takes a lot of skill flexibility timing, etc.

So must people end up throwing spinning side kicks, or kicks halfway between side and back kicks. They can still be effective.

The true back kick is much harder to throw. It takes a lot of skill flexibility timing, etc.

So must people end up throwing spinning side kicks, or kicks halfway between side and back kicks. They can still be effective.

I just chose you for no reason but explaining that this post has taken a huge turn away from what I asked lol. It's awesome to see how it stimulated conversation though :)

I just chose you for no reason but explaining that this post has taken a huge turn away from what I asked lol. It's awesome to see how it stimulated conversation though :)

Well what most people call a spinning back kick is actually something else as people have already proven in this thread.

Ill add to this thread:

latest

This is a back kick. Notice how his toes are pointed down and his upper body is facing the ground.

Taekwondo.jpg

Side kick. Notice his toes are parallel to the floor and his torso is turned to the side not facing the floor.

Most people dont have the flexibility and agility in sparring to do the first one, so when they try they end up throwing a spinning side kick like Dennis Siver does in the gif posted earlier.

Last edited:

well it looks to me that the backkick is much more linear, since the heel is turned upwards, the person has to be right in front of you.

for the sidekick the heel is pointing outwards, so if your opponent is circling out your kick can follow them on your follow-through.

Back