Spinning back kicks?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by MMAProfessional, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Is it better to turn your head as you spin? Is it more accurate this way?

2. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Spinning the head is the only way to throw it correctly. And you turn the head before you complete the spin even.
    First your upper body and legs turn, then the head and then you start the kick and complete the spin.

In reality you obviously to it all in one motion but the head always turns even before you lift your leg to kick .
    If you dont then you a.) don't see what your opponent does and what you are striking and b.) you''ll get dizzy and lose balance

it was one of the reasons why Chael Sonne dumped himself on his ass throwing a super sloppy spinning elbow he didn't turn his head and his feet were all over the place

3. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Thanks man my buddy said that you don't need to and pretty much said it was better not to and that he never did.

4. Kyryllo

Kyryllo Kia kaha e hine!

Lucerne, Switzerland (via Cologne, Germany)
    If you start learning it you spin your head around and kick then. Once you have the movement down you don't need to look, or actually your kick should be so fast that if you spin your head around the only thing you would see is your foot already hitting the target. You aim before you start the kick.

5. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

I mean maybe there's a reason not to but i can't think of any advantage not turning your head has has only of disadvantages and pretty big disadvantages at that.

6. Kyryllo

Kyryllo Kia kaha e hine!

Lucerne, Switzerland (via Cologne, Germany)
    Maybe this'll help you:
    http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f11/back-kick-tutorial-430798/

I think or am rather convinced, that there is no point in throwing the kick unless you can throw it "blindly". I literally see my foot already hitting the target the moment I manage to turn my head around. Starting out you look around, you aim, you correct your posture. If you're past this yo aim before you kick and you hit the target. Just like you would go into your dark bathroom and hit the light switch blindly because you've done this a thousand times already. Then and only then you can actually trust this technique to be a weapon, otherwise it is just a gimmick.

In general, and I can philosophize on this for hours, aiming with your eyes is overrated in the sense that you would focus on the target and then hit it. It does not really work this way. With experience you gain a different understanding of your surroundings. Your brain picks up patterns that are actually only seen from the corner of the eye. You kinda can predict what will happen in regard to the movement of your target and it is getting apparent with spinning techniques. You are of course loosing the sigh for a split second yet are fully aware of what is happening behind your back. You'd need to kick damn fast though.

7. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I have a hard time turning my head far enough to see. I can't usually see my target until the chamber is pulled up. By then it is too late to make a difference.

By that I mean that if I can see the opponent before the kick, I was too slow and they moved, forcing me to change the technique.

It would be better if I could always see the target before I kicked but it isn't viable for me. My teacher is very good at seeing the target and switching to a tornado or round house kick or whatever if the target moved on him. I find it difficult unless that's what I'm doing intentionally. The higher level is to be so fluid you can make the decision to kick or combo at the point of the complete chamber.

Over the years, I've started periodically scoring good hits sparring with the kick on feeling alone, but I can't rely on it.

In my opinion, the main reason people don't look before they kick is that they have a flexibility issue. I stretch all the time so that the whip of the kick doesn't injure me. If I didn't stretch it wouldn't be safe for me to throw at all. If you are better than me, you should be able to become flexible enough to see the target.

8. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

From a pure TKD standpoint they arent pretty at all but maybe for kickboxing the added power is worth it no idea but at any rate what Rogan says about it not being a spin but a turn is the most important part I think.

It's never a spin and always a turn

I would always look over my shoulder from that turning position he shows with the heel point at the opponent, first you get in that position, then you turn your head and look ath the opponent and then you complete the kick.

Thats the order in which I always did it in TKD

Yes you should know where you are kicking anyway even though looking at the opponent still helps a bit but more than that i think a.) not turning the head is the main reason you get dizzy and b.) also partially because you get dizzy if you don#t you are much more balanced if you turn your head vs if you don't.

I never used it in anything but a TKD setting thoughno idea if that makes a difference. I think i t works without turning the head but it's kinda like throwing a punch not textbook it will oftne happen in a fight but why not at least aim to do it perfectly?

[YT]Zs4uQ6DfKV8[/YT]

9. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

the turning side kick / spinning side kick is a different kick then a spinning back kick.

10. DyslexicDave

DyslexicDave Banned Banned

You forgot to mention that both have zero applicability in competition

11. Frode Falch

Why do you say that?

12. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Then you don't watch a lot of MMA and kickboxing

What is the spinning side kick?

I am only aware of the spinning backkick (i think that's what you consider the thing I posted) and the spinning heel kick a la the thing Barboza knocked Terry Etim out with

13. Frode Falch

A spinning back kick is a back kick. like a donkey kick. it goes backward. A spinning side kick is where you spin first, then you do a typical side kick at the end of the spin.

14. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

The line between these 2 is really slim though. And also many mostly those who haven't been taught but just tried it out once at sparring or whatever seem to have bad technique even pro fighters in MMA at least that's what I get from watching MMA fights.

And with those the line between a spinning side kick and a spinning back kick blurs together even further because those people don't even know themselves which of these 2 they are throwing.

How I was taught was to turn over to the donkey kick position but while you kick you turn further on the ball of the foot and when you connect you are in the same position as with a side kick.

Know my question is this by your definiton a spinning side kick or a spinning back kick?

Is there like a real donkey kick where you show you are really turned away almost completely from the opponent and that's what you mean with back kick and what I described is a spinning sidekick?

But again i don't do the kick at the end of the spin i do it from like Joe Rogan from the donkey kick position but while kicking keep turning of the ball of my foot into the sidekick position so that I take the momentum with me

15. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

There is no "added power" in the Kickboxing version of the kick. And if you don't know the difference between a back kick and a side kick, then lol..... Rogan calls it spinning back kick/side kick interchangeably but that's wrong. Embarassing that he was a TKD instructor. His spinning side kick and back kick were both excellent, though.

16. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

No it isn't.

17. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

It's slimmer than your mom

18. exclamatio

exclamatio Yellow Belt

[YT]M08B2DBaEXA[/YT]

Hope this helps.

Personally I think that if you can then you should be looking at your target, but it's not always possible! I like to point the heel of my non kicking foot towards my target, so it lines my hips up.

19. TheDarkEmperor

TheDarkEmperor Orange Belt

Just because they are rarely used, doesn't mean they have no application.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DyslexicDave

DyslexicDave Banned Banned

sorry...I don't take training techniques from whitebelts