Spinach is devoid of nutrition - Celebrity trainer Vinnie Tortorich

fightingrabbit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was listening to the Adam Carolla podcast and they had on Vinnie Tortorich as a guest. I never heard of him prior but apparently he's some celebrity trainer. I agreed with a lot of what he said (which was just basic nutrition for dummies, really) but he made the statement that spinach was devoid of nutrition and that we only think it's good for us because we seen Popeye eat it on the cartoon when we were kids.

Now fuck you, i'm no spinach expert, but I know some of you have your master's degrees in spinach. So what is he basing this information on?

Also he kept hitting on Gina and talks like he has a mouth full of marbles.

Spinach, like most other green, leafy vegetables, has plenty of various vitamins and minerals.

The belief that it is sort of superfood does come from Popeye cartoons but it's completely assinine to say it's devoid of nutritional content.

Like most celebrity trainers and fitness gurus, more bro science than real science.

Spinach doesn't have much nutritional value UNTIL it's actually cooked, which releases most of the iron present in the vegetable, from what I've heard.

Spinach doesn't have much nutritional value UNTIL it's actually cooked, which releases most of the iron present in the vegetable, from what I've heard.

There are benefits to eating spinach in both its raw and cooked forms. Some nutrients are more available in raw spinach, others are more available in cooked spinach.

Fuck whey protein and creatine, spinach is where it's at!

popeye.jpg

Spinach doesn't have a ton of iron.

It is loaded with Vitamin A and K, though.

I made a smoothie just yesterday with it. Chocolate almond milk, banana and a cup of raw spinach.

The only thing I don't like about cooked spinach is the oxalates (chalky residue) left on your teeth.

I seen enough popeye cartoons when I was a kid to know that's bullshit. Plus I wasn't always high when I watched them.

As a legit scientist I can tell you that spinach

Has:
-vitamins
-minerals
-fiber
-water

It's not going to make you strong like Popeyes but putting a handful in a salad or into some eggs is ok. It's not going to change your life burning you like the taste the rest of the stuff sure isn't going to hurt you.

I much prefer a spinach to lettuce for a salad.

The only kind of lettuce I like these days is Boston/Bibb. Seems like I end up having lettuce burps for the rest of the day if I eat iceberg or even Romaine.

"Spinach is devoid of nutrition" - Kenny Florian

Come on, man.

Anyone with a "celebrity (insert occupation)" before their name, is devoid of functioning brain cells.

Spinach, like many vegetables, is likely to contain high quantities of pesticides.

Any ways to get around this? I guess completely organic?

Laughing-Then-Crying-Gif-Tumblr-04.gif

"Organic" does not mean "pesticide-free". In fact, a lot of organic produce has higher levels of pesticides than conventional produce because organic pesticides are less effective than synthetic ones. And organic pesticides like Rotenone are far more toxic to humans than their synthetic counterparts.

If you're totally paranoid about pesticides, the only real option is to grow your own produce. If you're not completely paranoid and just want to reduce your exposure, simply wash your produce before consuming it.

It's full of trans-oleraceic acids, which are known to cause dumb.

Trust me, I train my dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back