Spielberg wasting his time with a West Side Story remake?

West Side Story?!

Stupid. But would it be dumber to leave it unchanged, when you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way, or change it to something that's also stupid?

Such an odd choice for him. He's an absolute legend and can do whatever he wants but yeah it's tough to choose a remake of a film that was executed very well first time out as your project. My guess is he wanted to make a musical since it's a genre he never touched (and he grew up in that era where they were almost as common as westerns).

Original West Side Story is probably one of the best entries in that genre. Robert Wise was a great director and the quality of the overall product was impressive.
It's like Michael Jordan wanting to play baseball.

Majority of Millenials and Zoomers will love seeing West Side Story for the first time. They wont ever watch the original so why not
Sure, but I find it ironic because he and Scorsese have been the pennon-bearers of those censuring Hollywood for the creatively bankrupt culture of endless remakes and reboots.

Why not just go to the creative inspiration, and put out another Romeo and Juliet? Go ahead and set the two great houses in modern day America. Let Romeo's father be a hard-nosed American plutocratic politician with his roots of power in police enforcement like the DEA, and make Juliet's father a Mexican drug lord. Somebody can finally try to beat what Zefirelli did on film.

That's more interesting to me.

Sure, but I find it ironic because he and Scorsese have been the pennon-bearers of those censuring Hollywood for the creatively bankrupt culture of endless remakes and reboots.

Why not just go to the creative inspiration, and put out another Romeo and Juliet? Go ahead and set the two great houses in modern day America. Let Romeo's father be a hard-nosed American plutocratic politician with his roots of power in police enforcement like the DEA, and make Juliet's father a Mexican drug lord. Somebody can finally try to beat what Zefirelli did on film.

That's more interesting to me.

It really makes me wonder what Spielberg and co. plan to bring to the table that the original film didn't already achieve. I always think that, with remakes, if you don't have some other angle or central conceit or way of rendering it, then what the hell is the point?

Spielberg will bring great production values and technical quality but the Wise film had that as well. The songs are the songs, that isn't going to change. He's not modernizing the setting. Maybe you switch up the dialogue and what not but, for the most part, I imagine the plot is going to hit all the same points.

Spielberg has been washed for quite some times so i'm not surprised.

Never saw West Side story. Won't watch the remake.

He needs to remake Terminator ffs.

Can't wait for the all-new woke, progressive, and socially-conscious West Side Story!

<{clintugh}>

I say good that he's challenging himself with something different. Though I don't know if West Side Story is the optimal vehicle if he wants to make a musical.

I mean, he decided he wanted to make a comedy one time, so he went and made 1941 of all things, an incredibly long and not funny star-studded World War 2 comedy. It is almost completely forgotten now, fortunately.

But still, you'll be correct more often than not if you don't question Spielberg.

And wasn't War Horse a WW1 movie? That said, WWI just doesn't lend itself to drama quite as well as WWII. Which isn't to say that there still aren't great movies to be made about it. It's just that WW2 has many nooks and crannies to go down, any one of which can justify a great two-hour film.

We all know it’s gonna be a woke cast and story with plenty of POC so spilberg can’t grab one final award before retiring.
Speilberg theme:
"When you're a prick, you're a prick all the way
from your first shitty remake to your to stupid big payday.."
how can the storm trooper be white if they where cloned from a black guy. Even the run aways in the last trilogy are black too. South Park got pc as fuck.

I say good that he's challenging himself with something different. Though I don't know if West Side Story is the optimal vehicle if he wants to make a musical.

I mean, he decided he wanted to make a comedy one time, so he went and made 1941 of all things, an incredibly long and not funny star-studded World War 2 comedy. It is almost completely forgotten now, fortunately.

But still, you'll be correct more often than not if you don't question Spielberg.

And wasn't War Horse a WW1 movie? That said, WWI just doesn't lend itself to drama quite as well as WWII. Which isn't to say that there still aren't great movies to be made about it. It's just that WW2 has many nooks and crannies to go down, any one of which can justify a great two-hour film.
WW1 had way more drama. Not everything is about death camps.

WW1 had way more drama. Not everything is about death camps.

I'm not just talking about death camps, though that and the road to it has alone provided fertile ground for a genre of wildly different movies - The Pianist, Schindler's List, Amen, Life is Beautiful, The Counterfeiters, Conspiracy, etc.

WW2 and its memorable battles, incidents, campaigns, etc. also offers, just offhand, these movies...

Dunkirk - one small situation in a massive war.
Patton - one man.
Downfall - one week in Hitler's bunker at the end of the war.
Letters from Iwo Jima - USA island hopping on the way to Japan, doesn't even touch on Europe.
Valkyrie - an unsuccessful plot to assassinate one man in one country in the war.
Hacksaw Ridge.
Stalingrad.
Enemy at the Gates.
Judgment at Nuremberg.
Fat Man and Little Boy.
The Tuskegee Airmen.
The Catcher was a Spy.

By the way, these are all just sticking to factual people or incidents, and not using WW2 as a setting for stories... E.g. Inglourious Basterds, the Dirty Dozen, Fury, The Boy in Striped Pajamas, Saving Private Ryan, Das Boot, U-571, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Great Escape, The Thin Red Line, A Bridge Too Far, Cross of Iron, Kelly's Heroes, The Reader, Casablanca.

Etc.

It's you who made the mistake of thinking "only death camps" when I said WW2 has many stories.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the all-new woke, progressive, and socially-conscious West Side Story!

<{clintugh}>

The Puerto Ricans win in the first 10 minutes and literally nothing else happens.

ufc fights in america
transgender rights in america
too many whites in america
we dark as nights in america

Spielberg has been washed for quite some times so i'm not surprised.
Oh, GTFO.

The last Indiana Jones was a bust, and War Horse was one of the most overrated films of the past decade, but he has made Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Adventures of Tin Tin in just the past decade. The majority of directors don't turn out three works that good in their entire careers. He also directed Munich in 2005 which is one of the best films ever made.

Spielberg wants to master all genres. To show how great and versatile he is and how broad his range is. That's why he's doing West Side Story.

No point in doing another war movie, when he basically filmed the greatest war movie ever in Saving Private Ryan. Plus he produced Band of Brothers.

Here's a great film analysis for fans of Saving Private Ryan. It does a great job of showing how much of a piece of biased propaganda that it really is. Definitely worth a watch!

[yt]

I'm not just talking about death camps, though that and the road to it has alone provided fertile ground for a genre of wildly different movies - The Pianist, Schindler's List, Amen, Life is Beautiful, The Counterfeiters, Conspiracy, etc.

WW2 and its memorable battles, incidents, campaigns, etc. also offers, just offhand, these movies...

Dunkirk - one small situation in a massive war.
Patton - one man.
Downfall - one week in Hitler's bunker at the end of the war.
Letters from Iwo Jima - USA island hopping on the way to Japan, doesn't even touch on Europe.
Valkyrie - an unsuccessful plot to assassinate one man in one country in the war.
Hacksaw Ridge.
Stalingrad.
Enemy at the Gates.
Judgment at Nuremberg.
Fat Man and Little Boy.

By the way, these are all just sticking to factual people or incidents, and not using WW2 as a setting for stories... E.g. Inglourious Basterds, the Dirty Dozen, Fury, The Boy i Striped Pajamas, Saving Private Ryan, Das Boot, U-571, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Great Escape, The Thin Red Line, A Bridge Too Far, Cross of Iron, Kelly's Heroes, The Reader, Casablanca.

Etc.

It's you who made the mistake of thinking "only death camps" when I said WW2 has many stories.
WW1 has as many if not more interesting stories, it’s just that Hollywood is obsessed with WW2. Shit the nazi sub genre still runs strong among all movie type. Post apocalyptic, science fiction, zombie, etc. If they could switch wars it would bring a breath of fresh ideas and photography on screen. Right now it’s mostly pastiches and « homage » we get.

WW1 has as many if not more interesting stories, it’s just that Hollywood is obsessed with WW2. Shit the nazi sub genre still runs strong among all movie type. Post apocalyptic, science fiction, zombie, etc. If they could switch wars it would bring a breath of fresh ideas and photography on screen. Right now it’s mostly pastiches and « homage » we get.

WW2 had the benefit of being captured on film and followed more closely through journalism, and of (justified) efforts to record details due to a multi-year organized campaign to exterminate an entire group of people and every trace that they existed.

That said, WW2 specifically features all kinds of unique stuff - aside from the Holocaust, itself unique - such as the race for the atomic bomb, the dropping of said bomb, Germany turning on Russia mid-war, Hitler's cult of personality, FDR's failing health, ego race between US and German ground commanders advancing on Germany, Hitler's Nero decree on his own lands, midwar assassination attempts on Hitler by his own people, the missed opportunity for Hitler to finish off Britain at Dunkirk, I'm just going off the top of my head here.

Yes, WW1 has many stories to explore on film and otherwise. I hope it happens, but WW2 still has many movie-worthy stories that have never been told on film.

Spielberg wants to master all genres. To show how great and versatile he is and how broad his range is. That's why he's doing West Side Story.

No point in doing another war movie, when he basically filmed the greatest war movie ever in Saving Private Ryan. Plus he produced Band of Brothers.
Would hardly call Saving Private Ryan the greatest war movie ever. It has the best 30 minute sequence with the invsnsion of Normandy but after kind of meh.

Here's a great film analysis for fans of Saving Private Ryan. It does a great job of showing how much of a piece of biased propaganda that it really is. Definitely worth a watch!

[yt]

Not going to watch it.

The Nazi's were evil, they attempted to exterminate an entire race of people, so the Allies kicked their ass.

Back