Spielberg beat James Cameron to Jurassic Park rights by only a few hours

I would be down to see Cameron's version as an alternate take on the concept, but no way in hell would I trade it for Spielberg's. It is precisely the fact that Spielberg turned it into a family-friendly tale of wonder and adventure that makes it so great. That's why I cherish it.

Sounds like Cameron should've just gotten the rights to Dino Crisis and made the first critically acclaimed video game movie.

Also, does it say Spielberg and Universal paid $1.5 billion for the rights? Billion with a B? WTF?

No way in hell that's right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cameron was probably still working in post on T2 at he time, I prefer our reality where we get both T2 and Spielberg's JP.

From the director who brought you Aliens

James Cameron's - Dinosaurs

Jurassic-Park-Dinosaurs-Tv-Show-90s-Mashup.jpg

never liked jurassic park just seems corny and that the dinasours somehow outsmart smarter humans so dumb. And nobody ever uses their guns to kill dinosaurs so lame.

JP is my favorite movie of all time so I'm incredibly happy it went down that way.

With that having been said, I wish we could have had both. I'd pay good money to see what Cameron could come up with today for an R rated dinosaur movie.

I'm not thrilled with the last JP movie. I'd like to see Cameron make one R rated like he said and 3 hours long.

No it isn’t.

It clearly is. I'll debate you on it :D

Honestly, Cameron's my favorite director but I'm not sure I'd say he's better than Spielberg or not. That's a tough matchup, imo. But Cameron is up there in the top tier along with Spielberg. For sure.

It clearly is. I'll debate you on it :D

Honestly, Cameron's my favorite director but I'm not sure I'd say he's better than Spielberg or not. That's a tough matchup, imo. But Cameron is up there in the top tier along with Spielberg. For sure.

I just think Steve makes better movies and he hits all different genres.

Cameron has never directed anything like Schindler’s List and Catch Me If You Can

I just think Steve makes better movies and he hits all different genres.

Cameron has never directed anything like Schindler’s List and Catch Me If You Can

The man switched gears completely from the sci-fi, horror, action genre and did something he had never even attempted and made a period piece, historical romance with Titanic...and it went on to destroy every movie ever made at the box office. So he can definitely handle more than one genre. I do wish he'd make more movies and try even more genres, though. I'll concede that.

And I agree, Spielberg has attempted more genres (and done them brilliantly) than Cameron has. That guy went from making a horror/terror movie with Jaws, to becoming known as the "family film" director with a ton of family friendly and adventure flicks, to making one of the best war films ever made with Saving Matt Damon. And I haven't even seen Schindler's List or Munich or Ready Player One.

I think it's a toss up for me. I think the best Cameron films trump the best Spielberg films, though. But Spielberg has made more top notch films than Cameron has.

Last edited:
The man switched gears completely from the sci-fi, horror, action genre and did something he had never even attempted and made a period piece, historical romance with Titanic...and it went on to destroy every movie ever made at the box office. So he can definitely handle more than one genre. I do wish he'd make more movies and try even more genres, though. I'll concede that.

And I agree, Spielberg has attempted more genres (and done them brilliantly) than Cameron has. That guy went from making a horror/terror movie with Jaws, to becoming known as the "family film" director with a ton of family friendly and adventure flicks, to making one of the best war films ever made with Saving Matt Damon. And I haven't even seen Schindler's List or Munich or Ready Player One.

Titanic is Schlock. It’s bubblegum. Cameron is good but he does action adventure and that’s about it.

Steve is a master at every genre outside pure comedy. He’s timeless

Munich is incredible btw.

Titanic is Schlock. It’s bubblegum. Cameron is good but he does action adventure and that’s about it.

Steve is a master at every genre outside pure comedy. He’s timeless

Munich is incredible btw.

Disagree on Titanic. It's brilliant. It's a near perfect film, imo.

And yeah I've heard nothing but good things about Munich. I need to check that out sometime.

Disagree on Titanic. It's brilliant. It's a near perfect film, imo.

And yeah I've heard nothing but good things about Munich. I need to check that out sometime.

Titanic isn’t my thing. It’s not bad but it’s like Schlock imo.

The Abyss is much much better than Titanic and has real heart felt moments as well.

I like Cameron a lot but his movies are one note. Steve is just so much better than him imo. Even his camera work is much much better

Back