Spent 4 weeks with pro-arhletes - changed eating habits

kabanos

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was working in summer on a marketing project with a couple of athletes (runners, swimmers and two kickboxers). Not really some top guys, but definitely good enough o make a living out of it on a local level (all of them trainers as well)

Anyway - I am an overweigted dude. 100% dadbod guy. Eating not very well, drinking a couple of beers daily, fast food, snacks etc. At least I was...

First of all I was surprised how often they eat. And they eat basically the whole time. I have seen one mate literally always chewing some food.

Carrots, blueberries, apples, oranges, celery... turns out you can eat a bloody ton of it and dont gain weight.

I know it's probably nothing new to people eating like this, but for me it was shocking. How can you eat roughly a kg of veggies and some fruits
(I was advised to avoid some like pineapples or grapes etc) in between the main meals and not gain anything.

Sure I do use the toilet much more often... must be that fiber, but still. Pretty amazing.

I was used to diets that always failed as I was constantly hungry, cutting lots of kcal and sure... kgs only to gain more after the diet is finished.

Now it's like the 4th month of following the guidelines (only thing I do is I use an app for tracking the kcals I eat). I was told not to cut too much kcal, not to go below my BMR rate (new to me as well) as most diets actually force you to do.

Brilliant stuff to be honest. Sure I miss the junk food sometimes, but hey! Instead of a bag of fritos - I just grab a damn carrot with a hummus with minimum oil and eat anytime I want.

Oh and lost like 10kg without ever feeling hungry and eating literally whenever I want. Just the proper stuff.

Wanted to share as it amazed me for two reasons:

1. It's so obvious.
2. I could eat 1000kcal of fritos in one evening and not feel stuffed. Now my new 1000kcal snacks are eally a loooot of food.

Last edited:
The best diet is the one you'll stick to.

The best diet is the one you'll stick to.

Yeah and it's not even a diet... I eat much more than I used to, just different stuff.

And best part is - I'm loaded with energy. Previously when I was on some diets I felt no energy, bummed and craving for junk.

Now I wake up and it's like - ok ... what do I do. Run a bit, workout, go on bikes with my family. First weeks I thought it's just sort of a honeymoon, but it's the 4th month and it's only getting better.

I guess it's what they call - don't do diet, change the lifestyle. I wasnt convinced to this, but now I certainly believe in it

Like today on a typical Sunday I'd wake up bloated from all that pizza, beer and cheetos I would eat Saturday evening watching Netflix. Today I woke up, first thing I did was a workout, than took my daughter for some swimming and felt awesome whole day.

Good stuff. Turns out not so much effort is needed to change.

Good stuff man. Congrats on the weight loss.

But more importantly, congrats on the lifestyle change. It's never easy and that's where most people (and diets), fail miserably.

Keep it up.

Dadbod is not a typical fat guy. Its a guy who used to be in shape before kids.

I
2. I could eat 1000kcal of fritos in one evening and not feel stuffed. Now my new 1000kcal snacks are eally a loooot of food.

This has been an eye opener for me since eating almost all plant based. If you eat the right foods you can literally get stuffed and not gain weight. But chips and crap you can eat all day and never get full

Great work TS.

When you change your diet like you have, you eventually stop craving all the shitty food. Of course, there are still times you'll want to eat some crap, but the real cravings basically go away. Your gut biota changes with your diet and you no longer have as much bacteria that survive on all the shitty foods. You basically starve them out and encourage microorganisms that flourish on "good" foods.

Is a hard hump to get over, but once you're there it's so much easier to "stay clean" with your diet.

When you do have some shitty food, you'll also suddenly really notice just how shitty it actually is. It's mind blowing how many people basically survive on nothing but literal junk food.

The best diet is based on veggies. It's tasty, healthy and you won't gain weight.

Excellent, TS. Not to mention the vitamin boost associated with eating a bunch of fruits and veggies.

I remember that dumbass Joe Rogan (I think he's generally great at what he does but for nutrition he's a fucking dumbass) implying on his podcast that a huge glass of freshly pressed orange juice every morning was as bad as a glass of Coke because it had the same amount of sugar.

Like WTF you are not going to talk about vitamins, minerals and fibers?

The main thing is that you're cutting sugar out of your diet.

Then after that it all really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want to just lose weight, then it sounds like you're on the right track.

Back