speed bags a thing of the past?

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tbh i think speed bags are a waste of time unless its something you can do at home for shoudler conditioning if you dont have a heavy bag when you are at the gym you need tomake the most of your time there there isnt any skill speed bag actually builds tbh only tools useful are heavy and double end bags

do you guys agree too?

Tbh i think speed bags are a waste of time unless its something you can do at home for shoudler conditioning if you dont have a heavy bag when you are at the gym you need tomake the most of your time there there isnt any skill speed bag actually builds tbh only tools useful are heavy and double end bags

do you guys agree too?

No, I love the speed bag. lol

do you guys agree too?

In my gyms growing up none of them even had one. Yet I've been to 2 gyms in Dallas that implemented it in training as part of the 'daily routine' for kids along with skipping/heavy bag etc. IMO there are plenty of other far more important things that could be worked on in a 2 hour window.

Not sure how pros view the training

In my gyms growing up none of them even had one. Yet I've been to 2 gyms in Dallas that implemented it in training as part of the 'daily routine' for kids along with skipping/heavy bag etc. IMO there are plenty of other far more important things that could be worked on in a 2 hour window.

Speed bags relax you gets you loose, and is great for shoulder endurance. You can also learn to move and hit the bag which is great for whole body coordination. I personally have started shuffling while doing it, it's just about having command of my body whenever I please.

They can also be good for taking a break from the grind of the heavy or body snatcher bag.

Double end bag, and speed bag are about accuracy and timing.

Training the eye to follow a target moving that fast I think is a valuable training tool.

I see guys who blast the heavy bag all day, and can't hit anything in a spar.

Never will be a thing of the past many UFC fighters and boxers still use Speed Bags, double ended bags, Heavy Bags etc... because these methods still produce results!

It is still one of the best training tools ever for timing, speed, rhythm and accuracy development! ;)

Last edited:
Speed bags relax you gets you loose, and is great for shoulder endurance. You can also learn to move and hit the bag which is great for whole body coordination. I personally have started shuffling while doing it, it's just about having command of my body whenever I please.

They can also be good for taking a break from the grind of the heavy or body snatcher bag.

Double end bag, and speed bag are about accuracy and timing.

Training the eye to follow a target moving that fast I think is a valuable training tool.

I see guys who blast the heavy bag all day, and can't hit anything in a spar.

You could have just given me the proper answer which was 'cos it looks cool on promo videos' lol ;)

Never will be a thing of the past many UFC fighters and boxers still use these methods because they produce results!

It is still one of the best training tools ever for timing, speed and accuracy development! ;)

You realize that's a double end bag not a speed bag right....

Never will be a thing of the past many UFC fighters and boxers still use these methods because they produce results!

It is still one of the best training tools ever for timing, speed, rhythm and accuracy development! ;)

Thats a double end bag. That's actually useful. Speed bag...not so much.

Read my post again, I will still editing and finding YouTubes, shot before proven innocent! <Lmaoo>

You could have just given me the proper answer which was 'cos it looks cool on promo videos' lol ;)

Lol

Mitts looks cool on promo videos but is not something I would recommend first, at least the way Mayweather made it famous. I feel sorry for the guys who actually took that serious.

But yes speed bag looks great on promos. I just think if it was good enough for the all time greats it's fine for me. Duran, Ali, Floyd, etc. That is like people who swear jogging is pointless you'd be better off sprinting. But Ray Leonard swore his roadwork is what made the difference. That's a gold medalist and world champion saying it works. Sometimes we try to re invent the wheel too much.

For boxers, speed bag isnt essential but they have so little to focus on they need as much training tools as possible. You can only do so much sparring, mitts, shadowboxing, bag work, jump rope and roadwork over the course of 10-20 years that anything to change it up will give you that extra edge.

Look at someone like lomachenko who does juggling, brain games, tennis ball work, handstands, dancing, wrestling, etc. And hes one of the most well rounded fighters, possibly ever. And many people will argue that those things translate LESS to traditional boxing than a speed bag would.

I feel like for an mma fighter or kickboxer its definitely lower on the list

Last edited:
i mean for pros i

t is a waste of time at end of the day i sue to do it at my original gym as a teenager was part of the training but iits a useless skill to learn just for shoulders ud get more out of doing burnout drills ona bag tbh or doing other things people dont have all day in the gym tog et good so you must make the most outof your time there

For boxers, speed bag isnt essential but they have so little to focus on they need as much training tools as possible. You can only do so much sparring, mitts, shadowboxing, bagwork, roadwork over the course of 10-20 years that anything to change it up will give you that extra edge.

I feel like for an mma fighter or kickboxer its definitely lower on the list

I don't want to seem a dick, but my question would be why are speed bags a staple in just about every serious boxing gym across the country?

Saying a double end bag is good but a speed bag isn't doesn't make sense either as they both are tools to work on speed, accuracy, and to keep your eye on a moving target.

Sparring is the most essential part of boxing imo, but like you said you can't spar all the time.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, but can someone explain why speed bags aren't useful?

In boxing probably. Definitely less common in MMA or kickboxing gyms (at least in north america); MMA/KB I'd say its because the striking is less developed on hands unless that gym specifically specializes in a boxing program, they won't have one laying around. I'm not a boxer, but I think it's for rhythm and flow

uhh because your actually able to punch it and move around and throw different types of punches also you an set it to come at your head and work head movement with it

for a pure boxer if i was just pro in boxing id prob continue to do the speed bag but as a mma guy id rather put my time into other things as i also have to wrestle and grapple

In boxing probably. Definitely less common in MMA or kickboxing gyms (at least in north america); MMA/KB I'd say its because the striking is less developed on hands unless that gym specifically specializes in a boxing program, they won't have one laying around. I'm not a boxer, but I think it's for rhythm and flow

One thing I noticed that helped me a ton is learning to keep my eyes open. I would hit the double end bag and not really look at it, same with the speed bag. I even found myself taking my eyes away from the heavy bag. Learning to keep my eyes open and really focus on the movement of the bags (double end, speed) it carried over to the ring.

I am able to see openings that were once not seen. I also pay attention to the smallest details like another guy having his eyes closed when exchanging, and I'm able to time their head movement, and see that they are swinging blindly. Never was able to do that before really embracing the speed or double end.

Speed bags a thing of the past?

Okay to be a little more precise:

As your hand speed increases, so does the power of your punching. Increasing repetitive hand speed also helps eliminate wasted motions. Fitness Benefits - Striking actions require the user to hold the arms and hands up for extended periods of time, building shoulder & arm strength and endurance.Resistance Training - Resistance training increases speed for a fighter because it strengthens their muscles. Strong muscles accelerate faster, than if they were weak. Using resistance training to strengthen the muscles responsible for accelerating a punch is important.

Biceps, chest, lats and triceps contribute to increasing the speed of a punch. Use a variety of resistant training equipment to effectively strengthen these muscles. Calisthenics, resistance bands and weights are all fantastic examples. If resistance equipment is unavailable, just be sure to do exercises that create a form of resistance.

Great link with vital info: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/introduction

Also some really good points -

So a speed bag conditions your arms for:

• Muscle endurance keeping hands and elbows up and in active state
  • Speed and timing development through the nervous system and muscle memory
  • Accuracy
  • Rhythm
  • Hand eye coordination
  • Power development through your feet to hip to shoulder to elbow and then hands
  • Control and when to deliver broken power punches
  • Breathing through rapid punches
  • Developing muscle fibers whilst muscles expand and contract shoulders, triceps, and lats
  • Developing Elbow ligament and tendon strengthening through flexion and extension movement
  • Develops slow twitch muscles fibers across the various prime mover, agonist, antagonist, synergists muscle groups
  • Develop and strengthen your shoulder rotation cup area
  • Builds the ability to learn to shift weight left and right feet and proper grounding
  • Stamina and control heart beat rhythm (cardio)

Are just a few direct benefits and functions whilst training on the speed bag.

Hence the term "Fast Hands"..........

Last edited:
Never will be a thing of the past many UFC fighters and boxers still use Speed Bags, double ended bags, Heavy Bags etc... because these methods still produce results!

those are double end bags you dingus.

Speed bags are fun and good for all the things listed, but as a trainer hearing that shit for hours a day is fucking annoying. Neither of the gyms I work at have them. If I opened one someday it won’t either. I’d be happy to put one up at home though

Speed bags a thing of the past?

Okay to be a little more precise:

As your hand speed increases, so does the power of your punching. Increasing repetitive hand speed also helps eliminate wasted motions. Fitness Benefits - Striking actions require the user to hold the arms and hands up for extended periods of time, building shoulder & arm strength and endurance.Resistance Training - Resistance training increases speed for a fighter because it strengthens their muscles. Strong muscles accelerate faster, than if they were weak. Using resistance training to strengthen the muscles responsible for accelerating a punch is important.

Biceps, chest, lats and triceps contribute to increasing the speed of a punch. Use a variety of resistant training equipment to effectively strengthen these muscles. Calisthenics, resistance bands and weights are all fantastic examples. If resistance equipment is unavailable, just be sure to do exercises that create a form of resistance.

Great link with vital info: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/introduction

Also some really good points -

So a speed bag conditions your arms for:

• Muscle endurance keeping hands and elbows up and in active state
  • Speed and timing development through the nervous system and muscle memory
  • Accuracy
  • Rhythm
  • Hand eye coordination
  • Power development through your feet to hip to shoulder to elbow and then hands
  • Control and when to deliver broken power punches
  • Breathing through rapid punches
  • Developing muscle fibers whilst muscles expand and contract shoulders, triceps, and lats
  • Developing Elbow ligament and tendon strengthening through flexion and extension movement
  • Develops slow twitch muscles fibers across the various prime mover, agonist, antagonist, synergists muscle groups
  • Develop and strengthen your shoulder rotation cup area
  • Builds the ability to learn to shift weight left and right feet and proper grounding
  • Stamina and control heart beat rhythm (cardio)

Are just a few direct benefits and functions whilst training on the speed bag.

Hence the term "Fast Hands"..........

You're reaching a little on this one.

The speedbag is good for rhythm, hand-eye, learning to relax and get lose, upper body endurance and keeping your hands up. I really like to use it as a way to get less stiff.

It doesn't improve power, doesn't necessarily increase speed, it doesn't effect tendon strength in any particular effective way, it doesn't necessary change fiber type characteristics more than various other drills, but one could argue that the continuous and aerobic nature of it improves endurance adaptions.

One more thing, stronger doesn't necessarily mean faster.

With that said, I never thought about the external and external rotation going on in the shoulder when you're hitting the speed bag. Not really any other exercises that does that. Even with the load being very light, that might improve rotator cuff health. That's very interesting.

Back