Speculation and Dream Match Ups For Rizin 13 and 14

I mean Christ lol. How was Sapp vs. Akebono from Rizin in 2015?
Seems that they believe this will bring in ratings. I'm not sure how big a deal the other guy is in Japan. But, historically, Sapp has brought in ratings, and he's a shell of himself, so if the sumo has a big following he can bring in eyes AND probably look good if he has any fighting skill at all...

@Asurah, thoughts?

Rizin has a good mix of nostalgia, the old guard, freak fights and legitimate talent. Horiguchi is no doubt a top 5 FLW and now we can even make the argument he could beat the UFC Champ. They have at least 3 of the top 5 atom-weights in the world. The problem is with only five cards a year, and a monopoly of talent by UFC, its hard to organically grow a roster. They are probably one of the pliable organisations though in taking fighters from other organisations, and don't mind having their guys beaten by outsiders to make a good fight. Cro Cop v Wanderlei 3 is more attractive than Wanderlei v Rampage 4, and at least Cro Cop admits he's too old and is hanging it up after this year.

No. Just, no. <{nope}>

They have one, and she's on a hard decline.

Seems that they believe this will bring in ratings. I'm not sure how big a deal the other guy is in Japan. But, historically, Sapp has brought in ratings, and he's a shell of himself, so if the sumo has a big following he can bring in eyes AND probably look good if he has any fighting skill at all...

@Asurah, thoughts?
Sapp isn't anywhere near the draw he used to be, they are probably hoping people want to see a top level rikishi crossing over in arguably his prime. Osunaarashi was in the news a lot and recently visited Akebono in the hospital, promising to take down Sapp.

I rather they had distanced themselves from Sapp, not so much for the dives and shenanigans, but he had some serious domestic abuse allegations come out around last NYE. Not a fan of him being brought back before that situation is cleared up.

That's just beautiful, I wish I could read whatever that says. Bob looks like a monster. I started following the sumo at the Nagoya Basho last month and I wish I got in a few months earlier so I could have some context to this Onnurashi guy.

I mean Christ lol. I know this interests some Japanese fans though.

How was Sapp vs. Akebono from Rizin in 2015?

Besides the sanctioned rest times from Caesar Takashi and the cut finish, it wasn't a terrible performance from Sapp. However in MMA Sapp has a bad habit of turtling up whenever he faces adversity. I'm actually hoping that Sapp fights NYE when I'm going to see it, I once saw Curtis Blaydes in the flesh and was blown away by how huge he looked. Sapp would blow my mind.

After the Yachi KO Gustavo should fight Cruickshank.

Yachi should fight Koshi Matsumoto next

Too bad Souwer left for ONE although I do love that move because ONE/ONE Super series is awesome... But seeing Tom Santos fighting Souwer would be fun.

Ok, douche only ignor list. Rankings based on what? Against who?

I don't understand why people shit on Hamasaki, she lost one fight against a 115er, I don't think that makes her less of an atom-weight. She literally has a win over the current Invicta Champ, and I don't see why she shouldn't be ranked high. It's hard to say Michelle Waterson is the best 105er. Atom-weight female is one of the most interesting divisions because you can't just say 'UFC Champion and UFC Rankings are gospel.' If Kanna isn't top 5, who is that's over her? It's hard to say Waterson is top 105 because she's never going to go down again, and your mostly basing that assumption from her work at 115. Her last fight at 105 was a loss.

Maybe putting Rena in the top 5 is wrong, but she'd be somewhere high, she did fight through a 8 women tournament to get to the final against Kanna. That has to be worth something.

While you guys keep arguing about the ranking, all I could think is "Rena and Kanna aint even atomweight, they are super atomweight at 108 pound lol" People already forgot that Rizin made up weight class to maximize chance of Rena winning, but that back fired hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you guys keeo arguing about the ranmkng, all I coukd think is "Rena and Kanna aint even atomweight, they are super atomweight at 108 pound lol" People already forgot that Rizin made up weight class to maximize chance of Rana winning, but thar back fired hard.

Also all atomweights in ROAD FC can't be on the rankings because they use the metric system, with a weight limit of 105.8 pounds and a 1.1 pound weight extra allowance, bringing the total up to 106.9 pounds. Not true atom weights. No ONE FC Atomweights either because their weigh in is 114.6 pounds and based on walking weight. Only American atomweights are allowed in the rankings.

I forgot how soon Rizin 13 is, meaning we should have a near full card over the next 3 weeks. Something like that.

I don't understand why people shit on Hamasaki, she lost one fight against a 115er, I don't think that makes her less of an atom-weight. She literally has a win over the current Invicta Champ, and I don't see why she shouldn't be ranked high. It's hard to say Michelle Waterson is the best 105er. Atom-weight female is one of the most interesting divisions because you can't just say 'UFC Champion and UFC Rankings are gospel.' If Kanna isn't top 5, who is that's over her? It's hard to say Waterson is top 105 because she's never going to go down again, and your mostly basing that assumption from her work at 115. Her last fight at 105 was a loss.

Maybe putting Rena in the top 5 is wrong, but she'd be somewhere high, she did fight through a 8 women tournament to get to the final against Kanna. That has to be worth something.
Not shitting on her, but it was obvious watching her last fight that Hamasaki has deteriorated. As for Waterson, She hasn't fought at atom weight in almost 4 years and lost her last fight in that class, so not sure why you spent so much time talking about her, as nobody is saying she's the best.

. As for Waterson, She hasn't fought at atom weight in almost 4 years and lost her last fight in that class, so not sure why you spent so much time talking about her, as nobody is saying she's the best.

:raises hand:

The UFC will have an atom weight division within a year and Michelle will be champion of it. Mark my words.

Look, the top atomweight in the world right now is Seo Hee Ham and Waterson is doing better in the UFC than she did. MMA math never lies.

Making atomweight will be very painfull for Michelle, but she will do it if a UFC belt is wagged in front of her face. No doubt in my mind. Joanna and Rose got a million Instagram followers thanks to that belt and they are NOT as marketable as Michelle. That's where the money is.

Back