Spartacus

Not that daughter, this one

9950065c2b5e623c721e51a1c6799e2c.jpg

If she wasn't in Arrow, she'd be perfect as Elektra in Daredevil.

This is false. From the opening scene at The Wall, that show was gold. It balanced everything perfectly. I don't think you'll find too many who would agree with you.

Unlike Spartacus, it didn't look like shit, and the acting wasn't hammy. GOT built up everything perfectly. Whereas Spartacus had little to no direction in it's first few episodes, and was objectively a terrible show.

A so-so episode to me, isn't one where there isn't a high body count. A so-so episode to me, is a lot of episodes from season 5, where there is nothing but action and death, but it wasn't built up properly, so you don't give a shit.

Spartacus was good, but was in no way top tier like similar shows, like GOT and the first season of Rome. Spartacus was pure exploitation, with decent enough writing and acting to make it more of the sum of it's parts. In no way was it on the same level of the best of the best though.
I'll take any season of spartacus over the bad last season of GOT. Spartacus managed to stay awesome throughout all seasons which is way more than you can say about 'top tier' similar shows.

Spartacus is the only show on television to switch the actor who plays the character the show is named for between the first and second season. I get that he died tragically, but that was too much. Should have chalked it up to a loss. I spent the first half episode of season 2 trying to figure out why Spartacus was no longer Spartacus.

Very very few shows have a first season as great as Spartacus, Dexter, or Prison Break.
prison break has one of the most amazing 1st seasons and one of the worst follow up seasons I have ever seen. it went from exciting and amazing to unbearable and dumb. I think a lot of it has to do with a conspiracy that wasn't well planned out to begin with and got increasingly unrealistic as the story progressed. that oriental villain was cringe inducing in every scene.

I'll take any season of spartacus over the bad last season of GOT. Spartacus managed to stay awesome throughout all seasons which is way more than you can say about 'top tier' similar shows.

Other than the rough beginnings, it was fairly consistent. I'll give it that. However, all seasons of Spartacus combined, doesn't measure up to the quality standards of top tier television.

Whatever though. Let's not get into it, and turn this into a VS thread. You like Spartacus, I like Spartacus. That's all that matters here.

A big plus for Spartacus I would say that it has over a lot of other shows, is that they made every character important. Everyone is memorable in Spartacus, and could be leads in their own show. Very strong characters.

prison break has one of the most amazing 1st seasons and one of the worst follow up seasons I have ever seen. it went from exciting and amazing to unbearable and dumb. I think a lot of it has to do with a conspiracy that wasn't well planned out to begin with and got increasingly unrealistic as the story progressed. that oriental villain was cringe inducing in every scene.

Season 2 was actually great, but after that it was horrible.

Dark Angel is the #1 example of an awesome 1st season and a horrible 2nd season, and was mercifully cancelled.

Even though Jessica Alba was the hottest chick on the planet, it couldn't keep my watching it past the 4th episode. Thats how bad it was.

Season 2 was actually great, but after that it was horrible.

Dark Angel is the #1 example of an awesome 1st season and a horrible 2nd season, and was mercifully cancelled.

Even though Jessica Alba was the hottest chick on the planet, it couldn't keep my watching it past the 4th episode. Thats how bad it was.
I tried twice to get through season 2 but I couldn't. It just didn't work out for me. I only read about the other seasons and it's a shame the show ended on such a poor note. I have similar feelings with The Walking Dead, actually. that first episode is AMAZING, and then I hang on for 3 seasons watching it waste it's potential and become too dumb to be interesting. I feel the same way about GOT and I absolutely adore GOT, at least most of it. all of those shows make me even more appreciative of spartacus. it was all solid seasons as they respected the story and the viewers all the way through.

I tried twice to get through season 2 but I couldn't. It just didn't work out for me. I only read about the other seasons and it's a shame the show ended on such a poor note. I have similar feelings with The Walking Dead, actually. that first episode is AMAZING, and then I hang on for 3 seasons watching it waste it's potential and become too dumb to be interesting. I feel the same way about GOT and I absolutely adore GOT, at least most of it. all of those shows make me even more appreciative of spartacus. it was all solid seasons as they respected the story and the viewers all the way through.

GOT was one of those shows where I loved season 1. Season 1 was just amazing to me. Than season 2-4 were just me watching cause nothing is on Sunday. These last two have been amazing though and I'm glad I stuck with it.

Show started off amazingly and had me hooked, but after the original actor died and needed to be replaced I could never get back in to it.

Probably one of the worst, actually. Or at least uneven. The first four or so episodes are painfully awful. Like shit-tier awful. They did turn it around quite miraculously though, but as far as first impressions go, it's one of the worst from an otherwise very good show.

Have you ever heard of character development? Establishing a stroyline for the hero? Giving him obstacles to overcome, like learning to live with slavery? It takes time to set up if you want to get invested into the character.

Why do you think so many people loved Andy and didn't like his successor? Because Andy was great, sure. But also because all the character development was done with him. We learned to love him, pity him, envy him and wish we were him.

That's what character development does to people when it's done the right way!

Just read the post preceding mine:

Show started off amazingly and had me hooked, but after the original actor died and needed to be replaced I could never get back in to it.

Judging from the memes, this show looks mighty stupid.
If you're a fan of DWTS and Idol shows, Spartacus is incredibly stupid.

Just remember that it goes both ways...

Have you ever heard of character development? Establishing a stroyline for the hero? Giving him obstacles to overcome, like learning to live with slavery? It takes time to set up if you want to get invested into the character.

I've made it quite clear that the development of the character and universe, was not the problem I had. It was just plain shitty in nearly every way for those first few episodes. It was pure cornball.

Why do you think so many people loved Andy and didn't like his successor? Because Andy was great, sure. But also because all the character development was done with him. We learned to love him, pity him, envy him and wish we were him.

Uhh, no? I had absolutely no problem with the new guy, and thought season 3 kicked the shit out of the first season. Also, most point to Gods Of The Arena as one of the best seasons, and it doesn't even have Spartacus in it.

I think you're being a tad melodramatic about the impact Andy Whitfield had on the show.

I think you're being a tad melodramatic about the impact Andy Whitfield had on the show.

I've made it quite clear that the development of the character and universe, was not the problem I had. It was just plain shitty in nearly every way for those first few episodes. It was pure cornball.

Uhh, no? I had absolutely no problem with the new guy, and thought season 3 kicked the shit out of the first season. Also, most point to Gods Of The Arena as one of the best seasons, and it doesn't even have Spartacus in it.
Good post. I wont answer it all, just the highlighted section I moved on top of your post.

You're absolutely right. My GF was Andy's biggest fan and she took his passing hard. I must admit that since I watched the show when it came out and didn't re-watch, there are big gaps in my memory.

I do remember how slow it was moving at first. I was getting invested in the character and my GF was hyping him as the hottest man alive. So I did have a little jealousy but I let her hype him so much, it may have gotten to me.

Maybe the beginning of Spartacus was much shittier than I remember. But it was all that shitty development that made me "adopt" Andy and all my GF hype that closed the deal.

One of my favorite shows ever.

Possibly the best series finale of any show, ever.

Liam came into his own in the last season. Man, what a show!

Spartacus is the only show on television to switch the actor who plays the character the show is named for between the first and second season. I get that he died tragically, but that was too much. Should have chalked it up to a loss. I spent the first half episode of season 2 trying to figure out why Spartacus was no longer Spartacus.
image.png

I'll say it's one of the most dramatic turnarounds for any show I can think of. The shitty beginnings for me, really didn't have anything to do with people getting into character, or anything. It was just a terrible show. Melodramatic to a cringe-worthy level, and just cheap looking as all hell. It was straight up B-movie schlock. Then, something happened, and the writers and show runners realized it could be so much better, and got their shit together.

Completely agree. Season one I watched religiously, but only for the unbreaking laughter at the awful acting and absurdly unnecessary vocabulary and nudity. Somehow the show transitioned into literally my favorite series during its time.

Back